Support File Future Pinball and BAM Installed: Simple… FAST… then PLAY! (by TerryRed)

TerryRed

Pinball Master
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
My Virtual Pinball Cabinet
These video guides are a bit out of date... so I would recommend using the FP and BAM Essentials AIO video and package posted here:

So many people like Video Install Guides... so here are my two latest for Future Pinball and BAM

Future Pinball and BAM Installed: Simple… FAST… then PLAY

• I made two new UP TO DATE video guides
  • one is made only for single screen Desktop users
  • the other is made only for multi screen CABINET users
  • I wanted to do this to show how EASY it is to get setup quickly and be able to play these awesome “new” Future Pinball tables!
  • I use my FP and BAM Mega Guide as the only source, just like you guys would, to completely install FP and BAM and be ready to go in minutes!

The first 15-25 minutes for each video is:
  • the entire install and setup (which is actually much quicker if I didn’t explain anything)
  • you don’t need to worry about BAM setup as my install files will get you properly setup with BAM and other settings
  • downloading and installing tables
  • it’s really easy guys!

The rest of each video is:
  • explaining the many cool BAM features you can play around with on all tables
  • explaining BAM cfg files
  • how to disable bam settings in table script (if used)
  • show examples for controls, Special 1 for Action/Fire
  • xml files for old tables using LOTR as an example
  • gameplay demos of the latest Star Wars DSA U-Pro, Iron Man U-Pro, and Indiana Jones U-Pro

Everything is bookmarked in the Youtube video description for quick and easy access!

Last edited:
Whoops! While I was checking this tutorial out, I done splashed a mess of glue on the whole shebang. Guess it's gonna be stuck right up at the top, now. :(

Thanks Terry, awesome stuff! :)

Btw, I added a couple tags at the top. Feel free to modify or add more to this and other posts & resources. I find tags are a great way to keep related collections together.

Whoops! While I was checking this tutorial out, I done splashed a mess of glue on the whole shebang. Guess it's gonna be stuck right up at the top, now. :(

Thanks Terry, awesome stuff! :)

Btw, I added a couple tags at the top. Feel free to modify or add more to this and other posts & resources. I find tags are a great way to keep related collections together.

Did I say before how I really like the speed of this site and the forum software? ;) It's really nice. :)

I believe I used this video while installing BAM the first time a few months ago, Thank You!
Was very helpful to me, feel free to upload into the Media section if you wish, we can create categories if needed.

:pinball:

I believe I used this video while installing BAM the first time a few months ago, Thank You!
Was very helpful to me, feel free to upload into the Media section if you wish, we can create categories if needed.

:pinball:

Thanks. That would have been my older "Software Essentials" video.

This new one (only a few days old) is MUCH more up to date...and the settings I show are more accurate to how they should be today, and also my BAM setup files will help you MUCH more to get better looking POV etc on a cabinet and also have the correct BAM menu setting right off the bat.

Its a BIG difference when setup the right way. also my BAM cfg files for newer tables are a big help as well.

You should watch this new video but more so the BAM sections as I go through the BAM menu and features more in detail in these new videos.

There's been a lot of changes with BAM recently that change many thing including how you install and use FP.

SLAMT1LT's new recent Ultimate Pro tables are outstanding (and how much a difference BAM can make when updating a table).

Update to the latest BAM:

and grab SLAM's tables from here:

I watched your video and I use the 2 in 1 installer to update BAM. It works and it keeps your config files and updates what needs to be updated. For the first install, I suggest checking the box to install the XML folder and the other check box to install ball textures. For the updates, I leave these 2 boxes unchecked because I have added more custom balls and added more XML files. My experience is if you run the 2 in 1 where FP is already installed, it updates what needs to be updated and keeps what you need.

I haven't done updates this way very much. I just started. I had been doing it manually like Terry shows. Has anyone else had success doing updates with the 2 in 1?

Last edited:
I watched your video and I use the 2 in 1 installer to update BAM. It works and it keeps your config files and updates what needs to be updated. For the first install, I suggest checking the box to install the XML folder and the other check box to install ball textures. For the updates, I leave these 2 boxes unchecked because I have added more custom balls and added more XML files. My experience is if you run the 2 in 1 where FP is already installed, it updates what needs to be updated and keeps what you need.

I haven't done updates this way very much. I just started. I had been doing it manually like Terry shows. Has anyone else had success doing updates with the 2 in 1?

I haven't use the installer afterward because it's not always up to date whereas the zip usually is. I also like to see exactly what it has so I can always pick and choose what files to install like you mentioned.

I noticed that version 290 of the 2 in 1 still had the 282 version.

I noticed that version 290 of the 2 in 1 still had the 282 version.

I did ask rav if he could not include the default.cfg in the zip file. It seems like its not needed as BAM makes one if its missing anyway. This would prevent it from being replaced with new updates.

I just checked because I ran the 2 in 1 recently. The "default.cfg" file in my backup copy is dated 10/20/17. After running the 2 in 1, it is still dated 10/20/17. Maybe Rav fixed it and didn't say anything.

I just checked because I ran the 2 in 1 recently. The "default.cfg" file in my backup copy is dated 10/20/17. After running the 2 in 1, it is still dated 10/20/17. Maybe Rav fixed it and didn't say anything.

I know the installer doesn't install a default.cfg... its the zip file that has one. There's no need for any default.cfg at all. BAM will make one, if it's missing... so it's best to not have one included on the installer and the zip, so the user's current default.cfg won't get replaced one way or another.

OK. I always have to avoid copying that file over during the manual install.

This new one (only a few days old) is MUCH more up to date...and the settings I show are more accurate to how they should be today, and also my BAM setup files will help you MUCH more to get better looking POV etc on a cabinet and also have the correct BAM menu setting right off the bat.

Thanks, you were right this video is different than the one I used, I also was going to ask about uninstalling BAM and just starting over but I was able to download the update zip and overwrote the files. Had to start with Strikes and Spares and it was excellent. However, I saw the registry import after playing, I always get nervous with registry edits and noticed it might not be necessary if it seems to be working fine.

Sorry about the questions, wondering if the registry import would fix a problem or if I should just try uninstalling and start over. My FPLoader.exe file won't start by itself, I was finally able to right click on a .fpt file and open it with the FPLoader.exe program. Bam also starts in my Programs menu.

:headscratch:

The REG file just changes all FP settings to what I show in FP's Video and Editor Settings on the Mega Guide and Video (and also resets the controls!). It was more to be sure everyone starts with the right settings. It's optional. Just check your Video and Editor settings to be sure they match.

I would fully update BAM to the latest version (if you haven't already), as well as your motherboard / video / audio drivers.

FPloader.exe now runs when it's clicked!
Think all I did was added a exception in the Comodo Firewall and Virus program for that file.

Ok on the kudos sides, your instruction are very clear Terry, on the downside, installing your registry file made my backglass vanished completely and I have no clue as how to bring it back. does anyone had the same issue?

Ok on the kudos sides, your instruction are very clear Terry, on the downside, installing your registry file made my backglass vanished completely and I have no clue as how to bring it back. does anyone had the same issue?

The registry file will replace all of FP's settings (I give this warning on the guide).... but you still need to set your Backglass settings in FP (enable the BG, set Arcade Mode on, set Display # and resolution, set fullscreen).

So depending on what your setup is, you may need to change your DISPLAY # (for your FP Backbox settings) to a completely different one than what you may be seeing in Windows Display settings. This is a common windows issue where display #'s can get mixed up or confused between FP and Windows.

I talk about that in the video and on the Mega Guide and I also show you where you can make changes in the registry (if needed)...or also how to remove all FP settings in the registry to start from scratch if needed.

Try ALT-Tabbing to see if the FP Backglass window is even running at all. You can also change the FP Backglass to windowed to see where is shows up to figure out the correct DISPLAY # to use.

@polygame

1590877227063.png

1590877260123.png

If you still can't get it sorted, type Regedit to goto the registry, then goto:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer

1590877370916.png
1590877457509.png

....or if desperate... you can remove all of FP's settings here by deleting the Future Pinball key. This wont hurt anything. If just means FP will use the default settings. Then you can manually make all your settings the same way as I show you in my guide without using my registry REG file (that's why I label that section as "Optional")

1590877581153.png

Last edited:
ps.png

I see 3 thumbnails in the task bar. One being the editor, the second is the table itself, the third remain completely empty. Everything is checked properly in FP, Backbox option, screen...etc... I have build maybe 25 tables so I understand this part very well. Something else is wrong.

@polygame I updated the last 2 responses so be sure to refresh this page

I did. I have flushed everything in the registry, and nothing changed. still the same, no more backglass even when I launch FP directly (futurepinball.exe or fplauncher makes no difference).

View attachment 14284

I see 3 thumbnails in the task bar. One being the editor, the second is the table itself, the third remain completely empty. Everything is checked properly in FP, Backbox option, screen...etc... I have build maybe 25 tables so I understand this part very well. Something else is wrong.

Read my previous posts.... but my guess is your DISPLAY # isn't correct for the Backbox...and you may need to possible manually change it...or remove FP's settings like I show above...and just set the the FP Video and Editor settings manually like I show.

Also...try rebooting...as the issue is that the FP Backbox is probably trying to display on a monitor that doesn't exist.... or its under your playfield for some reason,etc. Windows can get confused with DISPLAY#'s. So if removing the registry settings doesn't help... then you have a a Windows issue that is making the FP Backbox window use the wrong DISPLAY#.

My registry file is just changing FP's settings (it a normal registry backup function..its not a hack or anything). So one of the settings related to the Backbox needs to be changed specifically for your setup. The rest won't make something like that happen. You can change the Backbox to windowed temporarily if needed to find out where it is showing up... and change the display # to where it needs to be,etc.

I notice that the screen option show \.\\DISPLAY1 and \.\\DISPLAY2
while before installing anything (back when it worked) it was \\DISPLAY1 and \\DISPLAY2

i did remove the full registry for fp. (I am use to do it)
when I launch fplauncher, everything goes back to the "no backglass" and the extra \. for the displays in the registry setting

I notice that the screen option show \.\\DISPLAY1 and \.\\DISPLAY2
while before installing anything (back when it worked) it was \\DISPLAY1 and \\DISPLAY2

Interesting... for me right now it shows:

\\.\DISPLAY2

For my second screen....which works.

Shutdown to power off and reboot. If needed, try manually setting to what it was before in the registry and see of that helps...but also try running windowed.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Poor Man's Pinball Podcast has posted a new reply in the thread "Poor Man's Pinball Podcast".
      Back