BAM FP BAM OpenVR Guide (by TerryRed)

Future Pinball
I have been trying to get into FP and VR, unfortunately with the latest bam and files, the issue persists. I assume it is the same issue, where moving your head slightly also shifts the table around. Making game play a bit difficult.

My PC is not cutting edge, but is able to handle VPVR and play well, so I figured FP would be similar, but no luck.

I originally tried playing with a linked usb cable, and my frame rates were around 40 (only have a usb 2.0)
I purchased Virtual Desktop and the frame rates jumped to 60, thus, it appears using VD is the optimal way if you have no USB 3.0.

Unfortunately, the jitter, remains on both Link and VD for me. I also attempted placing the Bam.dll from version 315, and it seemed to improve a little? But that might be psychological?

I believe this jitter issue has also appeared on VPVR when I have played, but I think after updated shader files it fixed the issue for me. I am not a developer and have no clue how it works, but appears something in those glshader files helps oculus render things a bit better. I know the issue also had a nvidia related issue. I am curious if that is a similar issue with FP and VR, with oculus and nvidia conflicting somewhere.

I hope to eventually upgrade my GPU, but unlikely considering the costs, but I also am reading people with better GPU than I are also struggling with this jitter issue.

Hopefully this project is still progressing and hopefully this jitter issue will be solved, I appreciate all those working on it.
Ya its a mystery what happened after v315 and I dont think @ravarcade has a quest2 to look into it.
It would be cool to start at v315 and slowly add the newer features one at a time and see where the jitter happens but that is likely too tedious a process.

Or even to just add some of the more exciting new things to v315

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the newer version of OpenVR that was used plays a part in it.

That said... Vive and Index users have no problem I think.... it's just Oculus... sorry... Meta headsets.

Hi guys, I came across this thread

I think this is the same issue? I think it is more noticeable to us due to a stationary object with moving parts, compared to a normal action video game, but this appears to be a similar issue on what is described. Thoughts?

So yeah, unfortunately sounds like a oculus and nvidia and steamvr issue. :(

@Gimli

So I know you have tested the latest BAM Open VR with Sonic Pinball Mania....

What is your PC hardware.... and what are you using? Virtual Desktop, Link, Wireless Link? What settings?

I haven't tried anything VR since my stroke back in Oct.... but I was feeling a bit better than normal while updating Sonic for 1.1... and updated my headset, VR desktop, and BAM Open VR with the latest.

I tried using Virtual Desktop wireless, running it at 60hz and no Space Warp, at Medium settings. BAM was at 8x in VR, no VSync, with VR sync enabled. FP was normal settings, no vsync, fullscreen, 1920x1080, no reflections.

My PC is i5 9600K, and GTX 1080. I was surprised at how well things ran. Not perfect... but better than it has been in the past. I think my Pc simply needs to be faster to get Quest 2 at native resolution and higher refresh.

Its crazy seeing something you worked on for so long in VR for the first time. Sonic looked very cool. I also was able to check out Silent hill with my latest updates for the first time in VR. All I will say is.... WOW. you haven't seen anything like that table in VR. I can't wait to get back to working on it.

I have an i7-4790 3.6 gHz , 10 g of ram and a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
I was using virtual desktop and played with all of the settings

I have a 5 G hi-speed internet

In BAM , I think I AA set to 2
Using the latest BAM, I found that sonic had the Ocululs Jitter bug that was introduced in after version 315 of BAM, but it actually totally disappeared after a few minutes of game play.

So for VR only. I use BAM.dll Version 315 unless I want to have some of the recent games with the newer features and just tolerate the jitter.

Yah, that's what I noticed to that the jitter goes away after a few minutes. I was like... "wait... what happened... what did I do to fix this?"

Hi guys, I have a 1060 and no dice, stuck it out for 10 minutes but still jitter. Question, quest 2 apparently came out with an update, version 38? I looked and I’m still 37 and I guess the update is slowly rolling out so I will need to wait to get it. Is it by chance your quest updated and that was the fix?

Hi guys, I have a 1060 and no dice, stuck it out for 10 minutes but still jitter. Question, quest 2 apparently came out with an update, version 38? I looked and I’m still 37 and I guess the update is slowly rolling out so I will need to wait to get it. Is it by chance your quest updated and that was the fix?
Not sure about my Q2 version, I will check...but I don't think that will matter. I am determined this is a BAM bug....but what do I know :)

what are your specs ?

In virtual desktop it now has a box to check for your graphics card. I was surprised that GTX 1050 was consider a "low quality graphics card"

How fast is your internet and is your computer wired to your router or just wi fi connected ?

Last edited:
The 1060 is an entry level card and not the newest either. But since I could use my 1050Ti with HTC Vive for FP, the 1060 sure can do VR too, within its limitations of course.

The problem is not the GPU though, if I recall the rest of the thread right.

The 1060 is an entry level card and not the newest either. But since I could use my 1050Ti with HTC Vive for FP, the 1060 sure can do VR too, within its limitations of course.

The problem is not the GPU though, if I recall the rest of the thread right.
I can induce a jitter if I crank the settings up too high in Virtual desktop and BAM menu if AA is set too high.

Although with sonic I left AA in BAM at 0 and could crank up the VD settings and all seemed to work well after the brief couple minutes of jitter transpired.

This seems to be reproducible on this table , at least on my rig

I don't know about Oculus of course, but in SteamVR it is prefereable to disable AA and use supersampling. Image is sharper that way and it doesn't take as much resources as using AA. Maybe a compromise of both as different AA types need more or less resources than others.

For me it always was all about the settings that will not go below the headset max framerate, ever because whenever that happens even if once in a while is enough to get me dishoriented instantly and we all know where that leads. I rather be drunk for real :D

But I suppose that's not really the issue (before) so, if you can get around the problem by letting the game run for a few minutes before actually start playing, it's an annoyance but a well worth it workaround I suppose because Pinball in VR really is something else!

I don't know about Oculus of course, but in SteamVR it is prefereable to disable AA and use supersampling. Image is sharper that way and it doesn't take as much resources as using AA. Maybe a compromise of both as different AA types need more or less resources than others.

For me it always was all about the settings that will not go below the headset max framerate, ever because whenever that happens even if once in a while is enough to get me dishoriented instantly and we all know where that leads. I rather be drunk for real :D

But I suppose that's not really the issue (before) so, if you can get around the problem by letting the game run for a few minutes before actually start playing, it's an annoyance but a well worth it workaround I suppose because Pinball in VR really is something else!
Ya I don't need to wait before playing, I just keep my head still and there is no jitter and then after a few minutes I can move my head and it tracks smoothly

I will need to look at my specs, has been a while. I know it’s a number of years old, but it is a nvidia 1060 6gb I think and I’m assuming an i7 and 12-16gb ram.

It runs vpx vr smoothly with settings limited. I am using usb link, I tried VD for future pinball hoping it would resolve but I had the same issues, and I asked for a refund :) maybe I’ll purchase again, or is airlink better?

I will try digging into those settings again for FP, maybe after I get the v38 update, in case something there changes a few things. I’m not knowledgeable on what AA and all that means, but will go through terry’s guide again and make the settings accordingly and report back any changes after the v38 update which appears to be slowwwwly rolling out.

CPU-z and GPU-z or HWmonitor are your friends if you need to check your HW among other stuff like temps, volatages, fan speeds...

I will need to look at my specs, has been a while. I know it’s a number of years old, but it is a nvidia 1060 6gb I think and I’m assuming an i7 and 12-16gb ram.

It runs vpx vr smoothly with settings limited. I am using usb link, I tried VD for future pinball hoping it would resolve but I had the same issues, and I asked for a refund :) maybe I’ll purchase again, or is airlink better?

I will try digging into those settings again for FP, maybe after I get the v38 update, in case something there changes a few things. I’m not knowledgeable on what AA and all that means, but will go through terry’s guide again and make the settings accordingly and report back any changes after the v38 update which appears to be slowwwwly rolling out.
I just went thru all the Slamt1lt ultimate pros from more than a year ago and they run perfectly on Bam.dll version 315
I cranked all the VD settings to max and it was excellent !

I think I have 315 stashed away as I saw that as a possible fix, but maybe I implemented it wrong. Do you put it in the BAM folder or the open-vr folder? Or both?

Also Gimli, did you get a chance to see if your quest is on v37 still or v38?

@cmt26
You have different downloads for BAM and BAM-openVR but to me, the BAM.dll seems to be the same. Just in case, backup your current bam.dll files (you can check the version in "properties/details" and then copy bam.dll (version 315) to bam\open-vr folder as I think there's no need to mess with the BAM\ folder.

If it doens't work, backup the bam.dll in BAM\ too and copy bam.dll(v315) into that folder too.

@cmt26
You have different downloads for BAM and BAM-openVR but to me, the BAM.dll seems to be the same. Just in case, backup your current bam.dll files (you can check the version in "properties/details" and then copy bam.dll (version 315) to bam\open-vr folder as I think there's no need to mess with the BAM\ folder.

If it doens't work, backup the bam.dll in BAM\ too and copy bam.dll(v315) into that folder too.
ya I just rename the current BAM in the BAM-openVR folder to bam341.dll or whatever
Here is Version 315

Also sometimes I will delete the cfg for the tables that aren't working currently (in the BAM-openVR/cfg folder , in case the old bam version 315 doesn't recognize newer settings.

Attachments

• BAM_v1.5-315.zip
    27.3 MB · Views: 32
Ok thank you, will give it a go again, might not be until this weekend though. Will report back my results and also get my exact specs.

Unfortunately same results. I hope to eventually upgrade my video card and I will give it a go then.

I have a i7 920 @ 2.7ghz 2.67
12gb ram
Nvidia 1060
Windows 10 64 bit

I know loading oculus it tells me my system does not even meet the minimum.

I tried running FP with the performance hud and I have a massive drop in frames, and it’s pulling around 36fps. My guess is a limited PC and thus the issues I encounter.

Oh well, no worries, the tables are amazing in 2d and I added addressable leds recently so playing in cab mode and especially Terry’s tables is amazing with the leds and everything firing.

Thank you all for the help, if I ever upgrade my card (when prices drop) I’ll report back with results.

I'm not sure you have a good enough CPU to handle a better GPU even if you just upgrade to a gtx1080. In short you'll be bottlenecking the GPU and not using the full graphics card potential.

And don't forget all the physics run on the CPU too

I'm not sure you have a good enough CPU to handle a better GPU even if you just upgrade to a gtx1080. In short you'll be bottlenecking the GPU and not using the full graphics card potential.

And don't forget all the physics run on the CPU too
One setting that decreased jitter considerably was unchecking “SW spacewarp” in VD settings

ASW is the same as reprojection for VIVE I think. If it is the case, avoid it if possible. I for one couldn't use reprojection on VIVE (been years since then) and i'm not even sure if it is still an option for valve index!

I would always prefer to lower the graphics settings to keep the FPS at 60 minimum and never lower below that at any point.

Also, I recall that using overlays (even in steam vr) to measure performance and all that, could interfere too. So, use for metrics, adjust your settings and disable overlays.

Things might've change by now though so, take this with a grain or two of salt :)

So I may need to upgrade my entire PC and not just the graphics card? Hmm, ok, the trick is I will need to convince my wife I need a new PC for work and not pinball. Will be risky and a dangerous operation.

The gtx1060 is good enough for pinball. Like I said I played with my HTC vive on a 1050ti with a Ryzen 3200g cpu (and 16gb of memory at 3200mhz) so you can keep the 1060.

I will not comment on the wife problem but know I support you :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back