BAM FP BAM OpenVR Guide (by TerryRed)

Future Pinball
Awesome news.

And at max quality no less. What GPU are you using?

Awesome news about possible Quest 2 VR fix! Can't wait to try it out.

Is rav using a new DLL for Oculus specifically to use its API, or is it still using Steam VR?

If you guys needs another VR tester, let me know. :)

My GPU is only an nvidia 1050 TI I believe

We went back to 315 and Rav gave me 4 dlls to test and we found the bug
Then he sent me 2 more dlls of version 345 with bug fixed

My GPU is only an nvidia 1050 TI I believe

We went back to 315 and Rav gave me 4 dlls to test and we found the bug
Then he sent me 2 more dlls of version 345 with bug fixed

Great troubleshooting work both of you.

I knew the 1050 was more than capable to play simpler VR stuff (and it is NOT VR ready) that ti being capable of running with AA... it's either very nice Quest implementation or that GPU is better that I though!

Thanks Gimli. This really makes me want to mount everything again and get back to VR.

@TerryRed
@AnonTet
@cmt26
@ravarcade

Terry has tested the new beta bam.dll from Rav and can attest to the fact the tracking is now smooth.
The remaining issues are primarily CPU /GPU dependent with more robust gaming rigs performing better as you would expect

If others would like to test this let me know.

Anyone tested Steam's headsets? Just in case...

If not I can do it although, probably not in the next few days...

Ideally, the Vive and Index should be just fine, as they never had the problem to begin with.... though its possible they may run even better now.

I'll need to update some of the first post after the update is released, as some settings are different now.

So far in testing the new update, as long as BAM / Steam / Quest / Oculus / VD / Link (whatever you use) is setup correctly... everything runs great as long as your PC can handle it well. I cannot emphasis that last part enough.

VR is MUCH more demanding than normal desktop / cabinet gameplay.

You need a "fast" PC to handle "all tables" at good fps / Hz / ss and run them properly.

When I talk about running "correct" and "good" and "proper"... I am referring to "minimum" fps and constant "smooth" VR gameplay. The ideal target is a minimum of 60 fps "in VR" at all times when using Virtual Desktop's 60Hz option, which is what I recommend everyone start with, as FP tends to run best at that (and 60Hz requires less CPU / GPU). If you are trying to run at 80Hz, you need minimum 80 fps, etc. Keep in mind though... you basically need "twice" that fps in normal desktop mode, as VR is in 3D so you are rendering double the normal amount.

Older tables are less demanding, but newer BAM based tables... especially my own PinEvent releases like Star Wars ESB or Sonic Pinball Mania require a faster PC to run smoothly. If you enable PinEvent PUPDMD / PUP Stream, then you need an even faster PC.

So I highly recommend starting with less demanding tables first and PinEvent PUP Stream and PUPDMD disabled, and all reflection options disabled in FP video settings.

SLAM's Ultimate Pro tables are great examples to start with and get a good idea of how things can run. Blade Runner, Indy Stern, Aliens Legacy (with BAM's Post Processing set to 1.00) looks amazing in VR. I have a temporary Mega link to his Ultimate Pro tables (currently not on his site) in my most current FP and GAM Mega Guide.

==============================

I had 3 PCs to test with in my house with my Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop Wireless, Link and Air Link.

Lower end is my "Creator PC". CPU = i5 4670K, 16GB DDR3, GPU = GTX 1080

Mid Range is my "Cabinet PC". CPU = i5 9600K, 16GB DDR4, GPU = GTX 1080

High End is my son's "Gamer Machine PC". CPU = i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4, GPU = RTX 3080

Future Pinball settings

Fullscreen = on
Reflections = off
Ball Reflections = off
Vsync = off

VSync OFF is needed if you are trying to use 72Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, as enabling Vsync will lock FP into whatever Hz your monitor uses, and won't allow FP in VR to run at the higher Hz (and higher fps). So if your monitor only runs at 60Hz (most TVs and monitors), then enabling vsync will never allow FP to run higher than 60 fps in VR (so it will never reach 72, 80, 90, 120Hz).

If you are only using 60Hz (and your monitor runs at 60Hz), then you can try to enable vsync to see if it helps with performance and stability.

Remember.... the higher the Hz you set for VR settings, the faster your PC needs to be to keep smooth gameplay / fps at that Hz!

All other FP Video and Editor settings MUST be as per my FP and BAM Mega Guide!

BAM Open VR Settings

AA = 4 or higher
Vsync = off
3D VR Synch = on
Frame Limiter = off
Latency = whatever works for you to get rid of awkward head movement
Hide FP Logo = on
Hide Overlays = always
Ray Cast Shadows = On (only for tables that look good with it... note, this needs a fast GPU!)

VIRTUAL DESKTOP WIRELESS (uses SteamVR)

- Steam VR set to autochange resolution (to allow VD to set different Hz and SS, which gets automatically set based on the VD "VR Settings")
- AC1200 wifi 5 router
- VR Settings = Mid or High, 60Hz
- Sharpening = 100

I got great results using Virtual Desktop Wireless. Especially when running in 60Hz.

Oculus LINK and AIR LINK

- using cheap 20 ft USB C to B cable
- 72 / 80 / 90Hz
- 1.0 to 1.5 resolution

Using Link and Air Link with Open Composite DLL and Oculus desktop app (Rift app) gave mostly similar results to VD wireless (and you don't deal with SteamVR), but sometimes could be a bit less in fps depending on the table, and the head movement was a bit off (but still smooth)

Using Link and Air Link with Steam VR was more of a pain, so I didn't bother to test much with that.

If you can get Link to work well though, it can be more solid and stable compared to a wireless option, and you can change the resolution to a higher setting (supersampling) and up BAM's AA to make the table look much crisper and much nicer! (similar to VD wireless VR Settings).

120Hz

- while I was able to get this working with Virtual Desktop / Link / Air Link, only my son's GAMER MACHINE PC could even really handle it, and even then I think the connection is simply not keeping up well enough
- as an example, Steam VR's "Home" would only give me max 110 fps with a RTX 3080.... so don't expect to be playing FP in VR with 120Hz most likely.
- the lower Hz settings look really good and smooth if your PC and connections can handle them.

Closing FP and Steam VR

- to avoid lots of problems, I HIGHLY recommend you completely close FP EVERY TIME you exit a table, or want to reload the same table. FP needs to start "fresh" every time.
- I HIGHLY recommend you completely close Steam VR every time you exit a table, or want to load a new table. Sometimes Steam VR gets glitchy, or won't close itself properly. The best way to do this to "be sure" its closed is to use Task Manager to close out the Steam "VR Server" process, or you can use a BAT file and use a taskkill command to do this (like if running from a front-end which can do this for you easily).
- I've ran Popper in VR to easily launch FP VR tables "in VR", and I had Popper "taskkill VR Server" on it's Close Script each time I exited a FP VR table. Steam VR will automatically start again when a new FP VR table is launched.

FOCUS ISSUES

- sometimes, depending on your system, once FP starts in VR, it "may" be out of focus, and you won't either see FP in VR yet, or your controls may not respond until FP is in focus
- you may need to "click" into the FP window to bring it back into focus. At that point your controls should start working. When using VD wireless.... sometimes you need to bring up the VD menu, and choose "Switch to VR".

Performance Overlays

- (VD) Virtual Desktop Wireless has an option in its menu to show a Performance Overlay while in VR. This is VERY handy to show you what your fps and other important info is. So for example, if you are running in 60Hz, you should be getting 60fps at all times to get a good VR experience. If running in 80Hz, you should be getting 80fps at all times,etc.
- Oculus has a similar option that can be enabled using the Oculus Debug Tool, or you can also enable this with the Oculus Tray Tool as well if you have that installed.

Test Results

Perfect = smooth VR with max intended fps for the Hz being run. No stutter. Excellent VR experience.

Good = smooth most of the time, but not always staying at intended fps. Good, but not perfect VR experience.

Bad = stuttering and not smooth. Not a good VR experience.

"Creator PC". CPU = i5 4670K, 16GB DDR3, GPU = GTX 1080

Star Wars DSA - Epic Space Battles (new wip version) = Bad
Sonic Pinball Mania = Good
Silent Hill (wip) = Good
RetroFlair 2 (wip) = Bad
Junkyard Cats BAM = Perfect
BvP BAM = Perfect
Aliens Legacy Ultimate Pro = Perfect
Blade Runner Ultimate Pro = Perfect
F14 Tomcat Ultimate Pro - PinEvent = Bad
Jaws Ultimate Pro - PinEvent = Perfect
Halloween Ultimate Pro - Big Bloody Mike = Perfect
Indy Stern Ultimate Pro = Perfect
Jurassic Park Ultimate Pro = Perfect
Robocop Ultimate Pro = Perfect
Star Trek Ultimate Pro = Good
Strikes and Spares Ultimate Pro = Perfect

"Cabinet PC". CPU = i5 9600K, 16GB DDR4, GPU = GTX 1080

- all tables were mostly "Perfect" except for RetroFlair 2 which still struggled on the Light Cycles.
- running some tables at 80Hz or 90Hz made them struggle , but most were at least Good, while many were perfect
- some PinEvent tables with PinEvent PUP Stream enabled ran Perfect, but some struggled a bit and were mostly Good

"Gamer Machine PC". CPU = i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4, GPU = RTX 3080

- all tables (with or without PinEvent PUP Stream enabled) were mostly "Perfect" except for RetroFlair 2 which still struggled on the Light Cycles
- running most tables at 80Hz or 90Hz were Perfect, but enabling PUP would make some drop to Good at times

FP in VR is AWESOME!

If everything is setup correctly (hardware and software wise), and you go in with realistic expectations of what your PC can handle, then there are many great FP tables you can play in VR that look amazing with the new BAM Open VR "update / fix" that I've tested.

Last edited:
@TerryRed
Thanks for the thorough tests and report !

This should also mean that most fp tables prior Ultimate Pro should work well too

Great, has the update been released yet? And if not, do you know when it will come out? I'm looking forward

New BAM OpenVR Update with the VR fix is now available!

BAM OpenVR 1.5-346 is now available and is now required for smooth VR gameplay (assuming your PC is fast enough).

(Note: there is another update coming that fixes a memory leak (not related to VR), so make sure you get that update when it's released as well!)

New BAM OpenVR Quest 2 setup Guide.

I have completely updated this first post of this topic to now include updated settings and pics for Virtual Desktop wireless and BAM OpenVR, and other vital info / links and test results. You can get that here.

Enjoy a much better Future Pinball VR experience!

I updated the Guide a bit for using Open Composite DLL with Link.

It's "critical" that Steam VR and its "VR Server" process are NOT running at all when using OC DLL with Link! I also included an ini to be used with the OC DLL that disables audio. For some people, this helps it work better. Please read all the updated info about using OC DLL with Link in the Guide.

Also.... make sure you are using ALL the settings I show in ALL the pics I show for FP and BAM OpenVR settings (Addons, etc).... then "Save as Default", then exit BAM menu, and exit FP and try again after. You may need to delete any files in "BAM-OpenVR\CFG" if you ran tables before all settings were correct to be sure they will use the new "Default" settings when they startup (this is the same as them starting up for the first time).

Thanks to Gimli for the heads up regarding the update. I'll be doing a full clean re-install of everything needed. Looking forward to some butter smooth Halloween gameplay. Thanks for all the hard work on this guys!!!!

Thanks to Gimli for the heads up regarding the update. I'll be doing a full clean re-install of everything needed. Looking forward to some butter smooth Halloween gameplay. Thanks for all the hard work on this guys!!!!
Let us know your progress !
I contacted Warrie as well and he is very pleased with the results too

Yes, perfectly smooth for me too :) The tables available for FP are stunning, finally I can enjoy them in VR :)

Last edited:
Will do. Might take a few days as it's been a while since I messed with FP and Bam (54yo brain struggling with slipping down the learning curve!) but I'll deffo report findings.

OK so I got all excited when I got in from work today and started tinkering. After some schoolboy errors and a bit of head scratching I got FP VR up and running on my PC. I can gladly say that I'm getting silky smooth game play. Halloween is simply stunning. Jaws is incredible. In fact all of Terry's tables are beautiful. I just need to configure the keys for my pinsim and sort a few niggly things in widows and job is done. Question for the experts though, if I set my desktop size to 125% recommended for my 4k monitor will it make a differance in VR? 100% as stated in the guide makes my desktop look awful!

OK so I got all excited when I got in from work today and started tinkering. After some schoolboy errors and a bit of head scratching I got FP VR up and running on my PC. I can gladly say that I'm getting silky smooth game play. Halloween is simply stunning. Jaws is incredible. In fact all of Terry's tables are beautiful. I just need to configure the keys for my pinsim and sort a few niggly things in widows and job is done. Question for the experts though, if I set my desktop size to 125% recommended for my 4k monitor will it make a differance in VR? 100% as stated in the guide makes my desktop look awful!
That's great news ! That seems to be most people's experiance.
You desktop resolution setting shouldn't make a difference in VR except maybe if you are using Terry's PUP streams in his PinEvent tables ?

If you use PinEvent pup-packs and pup stream, changing the Text Scaling to anything other than 100 may mess up the text for PUP DMD. It will be all wrong and zoomed in, etc.

You can disable DPI scaling on FP itself if needed (to keep it from zooming in, etc).... but I'm not sure if that will work with PinupPlayer.exe to prevent the text scaling issue if using pupdmd / pup-packs / pupstream (not required just to play PinEvent tables in VR).

BAM Open VR update - 1.5-348

Ravarcade just released a new update for BAM and BAM OpenVR. This release includes the following highlights

- includes the VR stutter fixes mentioned before
- includes a fix for ray cast shadows that affected the ambient light's shadow in VR. Sometimes it would point upward like a candle)
- includes an update for miniplayfields that allow them to report their current position in realtime (very handy for my Star Wars DSA update that's coming)
- important! includes a major fix for a long running memory leak that was causing some newer tables (such as Sonic Pinball Mania) to crash after playing for a while.

"Everyone" should update to this new BAM 1.5-348! For VR or normal FP usage.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back