Future Pinball is out!

Future Pinball? What's that? :wink:

Ok, I really didn't care about it till now and I probably won't in short. There are enough still not touched VPM tables in my download directory to try and play. And some VP tables too. I don't have a need for another pinball program at this time.

As long as there is no emulation of the table software from 80's-90's tables (as far as I understand there is no ambition of Future Pinball in that) my interests on Future Pinball will stay low.

About affinity of some tables I think that comes automatically. Should one reinvent the wheel?

As I still wrote somewhere else, do you want to fight about letters/characters/numbers/colours... next? Ridiculously!

About hardware requirements I think FP should run fine here. But only because of that and maybe stunning graphics there now is no real interest in trying FP here.

But I will observe the news.

There are always going to be folks who simply won't get along, but what I hate seeing is the Us versus Them attitude I'm seeing. Two programs can be better than one, if FP is given time to muture, and if Black is willing to add a bit more flexible ways of making tables for us experienced authors.

I reaqlly hated deleting Leon's account, and not because it meant one less member here. Jon and I have tried to make this a place where everyone and anyone could come and discuss, debate, and disagree without losing respect for one another. The Pacdude and Leon feud has been going on for as long as I've been around, so maybe there was no avoiding this final flareup, but it's really not something to applaud.

I'll keep releasing VP tables, as I did a few minutes ago. But I'll also try my hand at making FP tables too; have two in the works right now. To me it's not about personalities, it's about pinball.

John

I wonder what that account deletion accomplished? I have nothing against "heated" Leo vs. PD debate, I just don't like see people posting stupid violence threats. That's just laughable... considering we're just talking about pinball games here.

If they really deleted Destruk's account I think they lost their potentially biggest and most prolific author. That was just plain idiotic thing to do... and definitely not a way to build a relationships with the old VP crew. I think I'll get along without FP just nicely as well. ;)

kristian said:
I wonder what that account deletion accomplished? I have nothing against "heated" Leo vs. PD debate, I just don't like see people posting stupid violence threats. That's just laughable... considering we're just talking about pinball games here.

If they really deleted Destruk's account I think they lost their potentially biggest and most prolific author. That was just plain idiotic thing to do... and definitely not a way to build a relationships with the old VP crew. I think I'll get along without FP just nicely as well. ;)

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough Kristian. Leon demanded that I delete his account here, which I did. And his cyberspace threat to Dude was at least his 2nd or third publically here, plus a few unpleasent PMs I've received in the past year. With his temper I wonder if Leon has ever punched out his monitor.

John

If you didn't know, I removed the displayed logos from the exe during a game, and posted it to the newsgroups, so it wasn't 'for no reason'. Anyway, as long as Visual Pinball is putting out stuff like this:
http://s01.picshome.com/5a1/fireball.jpg

I don't see Future Pinball being all that much better for a long time. :)

kristian said:
Future Pinball can suck my ass.

Come on over here Kristian, so I can wash your mouth out with soap. I really hate to see this Us versus Them attitude forming at all the forums. I see a lot of potential in FP, and have two tables I'm working on in FP. To me it is about making pinball, and seeing if I'm up to the challenge of making tables in FP. Now if it proves to be a lot more work and confusion for me, I won't continue working with FP. But having two programs doesn't have to be a bad thing.

John

If the author of the program is an egomaniac who bans people just for disagreeing with him... no thanks. And I'm not referring only to Destruk here. I've heard there have been lots of bannings already.

And I don't think anyone can get along with people like Leo and Black in the long run. What makes you think I'm representing this forum (or any other forum) with my opinions? My opinions are mine... and only mine.

The program is unplayable, without VPM support and the author is an unpleasant person... just for the support of Destruk: they can really suck my ass.

PS: I like you John... and respect you... but I certainly won't need any lectures about watching my language... from anyone.

kristian said:
If the author of the program is an egomaniac who bans people just for disagreeing with him... no thanks. And I'm not referring only to Destruk here. I've heard there have been lots of bannings already.

And I don't think anyone can get along with people like Leo and Black in the long run. What makes you think I'm representing this forum (or any other forum) with my opinions? My opinions are mine... and only mine.

The program is unplayable, without VPM support and the author is an unpleasant person... just for the support of Destruk: they can really suck my ass.

PS: I like you John... and respect you... but I certainly won't need any lectures about watching my language... from anyone.

Sorry Kristian, I probably should have added a smilie, since it was meant as tongue-in-cheek, and not as a lecture.

John

Ok, no probs. ;)

I think it would have been better if FP were a commercial program... now the end users have nothing to complain as it's freeware... Wonder what changed Blacks mind to release it as a freeware... perhaps the outrageous system requirements?

kristian said:
I think it would have been better if FP were a commercial program... now the end users have nothing to complain as it's freeware... Wonder what changed Blacks mind to release it as a freeware... perhaps the outrageous system requirements?

I don't believe for an instant that Black doesn't have visions of making money off this project, but first he needs a stockpile of tables and the bugs worked out. Yes, I believe we are nothing but beta testers :) BTW, I would still pay (maybe $15) for this version if it was shareware and had a 30 day expiration date.

kristian said:
Future Pinball can suck my ass.
what's so special about the taste of your ass?

kristian said:
.. Wonder what changed Blacks mind to release it as a freeware... perhaps the outrageous system requirements?

I wouldn't call them "outrageous". Just..."futuristic". :)

Why release a program that whets the appetite of 100% of your "target" audience, but in reality only 50% can play it unless they upgrade their box?

Given that - there are most definately the FP 'suck ups' but I refuse to be one of them. Sure, FP LOOKS nice, but as someone stated on the FP forum - it looks like "the bastard child of VP".

Maybe if Black had more creativity in the way he approached things there wouldn't be the VP/FP "comparisons". Well, I'm sorry but if the interface is a cousin of VP, and FP apparently contains some of the same bugs, then yes, there WILL be comparisons between the two. And that's one of a few I've found.

Until Black "grows up" and actually LISTENS TO THE FEEDBACK being given, instead of having his "if you don't like it don't play it" mentality, FP won't ever become what Black is dreaming it will.

Kind of interesting to see this ancient thread pop up again (the indexing sites just trawled it), what with all the doubt, dismay, and even plain-old resentment from long-time VP folks.

In the beginning, anyway.

You've come a long way, baby.jpg

The physics used to be pretty bad. In fact, it still is on the old tables that have not been updated. That is why TerryRed and I wrote the same tutorial to add dynamic flippers and physics to any table.

I have an XML that works pretty well on old tables where you can replace the default.xml in the BAM folder. I am not sure how well it would work on every table without an XML so I suppose the tutorial will have to do.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back