ruckage

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ghost Train is now available to download here

Press 'o' to toggle DMD mesh overlays between

'fine mesh' resolutions 1024x768 upwards
'largemesh' resolution 800x600 upwards
'no mesh' lower resolutions or if you prefer it without the grid effect

The first time you play a rules sheet is diplayed. Press 'R' to dismiss it. It won't be displayed in subsequent plays unless the fpram is reset. If you wish to view it press 'R' at anytime

Press 'M' to toggle music on or off. It is off by default - the icon in the lower right hand corner displays the status. Please give it a try without music as i've added randomly triggered atmospheric sounds. Can be quite creepy.

Thanks to tiltjlp, lio, BigDraco, brendan and darkmiss for testing this and giving me some feedback and improvement ideas.

Enjoy playing and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• ghost-train1.1_fVe.jpg
    ghost-train1.1_fVe.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited by a moderator:
What I think? It's a damned table! I put it in my very, very small collection of flipperless tables.

popotte said:
What I think? It's a damned table! I put it in my very, very small collection of flipperless tables.

I agree with popotte, except that I've added it to my very large collection of flipperless tables. :p Easily one of the five best originals I've ever played, and the perfect melding of modern and flipperless. Possibly the best designed FP original yet, IMNSHO. The DMD really makes this game rock. Hopefully this will get folks to take another look at flipperless, and discover other hidden gems.

So, this table proves that flipperless is not necessary an old and boring table...

Very nice, well done ruckage, wonder if I should tell the fruity boys about this?

http://www.fruitforums.com/

They maybe interested, what do you reakon?

There is an update to this on the way thanks to an idea tiltjlp had of adding a multiball feature. I've expanded upon this initial idea and have a feature planned which should add even more to the table.

More info soon.............

ruckage said:
There is an update to this on the way thanks to an idea tiltjlp had of adding a multiball feature. I've expanded upon this initial idea and have a feature planned which should add even more to the table.

More info soon.............

I can't wait for the update, although I guees I'll have to. You took my basic suggestion and are really turning it into something fantastic. Ghost Train is the only FP table I play every day.

Fantastic table

Fantastic table with nice graphics, fantastic animations, fantastic management of screen, great slot reel and fantastic ideas.. all that i love.

When I boot up the game (using pinup popper, BAM installed), I don' t get any backglass or dmd. If I go and manually change from global to table settings under BAM, I can get a backglass with DMD (on backglass) to show, but I see no score. Also, this hoses all of my other tables' backglass settings as they are now set to table.

How to I change the settings for only one table? also, can someone please explain how to do anything without flippers (new concept to me)? Is there something that should display the score as well?

Thank you!

When I boot up the game (using pinup popper, BAM installed), I don' t get any backglass or dmd. If I go and manually change from global to table settings under BAM, I can get a backglass with DMD (on backglass) to show, but I see no score. Also, this hoses all of my other tables' backglass settings as they are now set to table.

How to I change the settings for only one table? also, can someone please explain how to do anything without flippers (new concept to me)? Is there something that should display the score as well?

Thank you!
For tables that need unique FP settings, you might create a batch file to temporarily alter FP's registry entries, then have it automatically change them back to your 'standard' settings after you're done playing the table. It sounds harder than it really is; you'd just need to do a little light research, or maybe even use a batch-file creator tool. I was thinking about creating a guide on this stuff some time, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Another possibility would be to have a front-end handle all that, altho I'm not really up on frontends, myself.

As for your main issue, I'm guessing @GeorgeH or @TerryRed might know.

Thank you!
I seem to remember playing this table several years ago. Anyway, what looks like a DMD is actually a clever use of an overlay. ...So you won't be able to use Future DMD or the new DMDExt. I am guessing your have a pinball cabinet?

The HUD on this table uses 18 overlays that are stacked on top of each other with each being turned on an of and display different things. The overlay on the backbox is very simple and only uses 1 overlay that never displays the score and many other things. I tried selecting all 18 HUD overlays, moving them to the location of the DMD on the backbox and changing them to render on the backbox. Unfortunately, it appears there is some coding that only works on a HUD because some of the overlays that were invisible (or essentially turned off) on the HUD always appear "on" on the backbox. Evidently, the coding uses the fadein and fadeout functions on the HUD (though I can't find the coding for it). The fadein and fadeout functions don't work on overlays that render on the backbox.

The short story is that I don't know of a way to fix it for you. Maybe Terry might have some ideas.

@GeorgeH,
Whoa... 18 HUD overlays!

As an FP noobie, could you tell me how to sort these out?

There is no need to sort them out. They turn on and off automatically.

@Jondar I forgot to mention that there is an overlay that covers the whole screen when you start the table the first time. You have to press "R" to make it go away. If it causes trouble, you can open the translite and move the "RULES" overlay on layer 9 above the table.

George... I meant, from the table-code standpoint.

Like, what would I be looking at, in terms of coding upon HUD displays?

Overlays use an image list and then the list of images uses textures added to the Texture Manager. The coding requires that you identify the frame number or group of frames in a sequence. The simplest code for one frame is like this:

rules.frame 2

"Rules" is the name of the overlay and the code says to display frame 2.

Thank you!
I think I figured out a way to move the overlays from the HUD to the backglass. Try the attached version. The last time I tried it, I added a HUD background overlay that you don't need.

This version should work on anyone's cabinet. The overlay will have to be displayed on the backglass.

Attachments

• Ghost Train 1.1 CAB.fpt
    3.6 MB · Views: 49
Ladies and Gentlehams-- I give to you the single-greatest person on the face of the Planet.

A man named George H!

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back