Genco Good Luck, 1932 Genco

druadic

20+ YEARS as a VP author. How time flies...
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Anything before 1939 (pre war), Firepower II, Agents 777
I've been working on this one for about two weeks now, along WITH Variety. This table actually does not work like the "normal" flipperless tables out there. The balls STAY on the playfield and roll to the bottom. The balls are held in place by "wire" doors that literally "lift up" and the balls roll to the bottom area of the playfield and line up at the plunger. These wire doors kind of look like the bottom of a coffin if you were looking at one.

The playfield itself is comprised of 5 horses; the top horse is 2000 points. Three of the areas (including the top horse) are like kicker cups. When a new game is played and the balls are in these holes, the balls are lifted out of the area and roll to the bottom of the playfield. Yeah, it sounds weird. One horse and two horseshoes are the "divot" areas to score in. The other areas are "coffin" type holders that capture the balls for the score.

But, I'll be making this table a bit tougher than the usual fare. The balls will not be "grabbed" by kicker cups or anything like that. The balls can roll into the hole and roll in just about any direction if the ball does'nt make it into the hole. What I'm saying is that if you don't have the PERFECT velocity and the perfect control, the ball will NOT stay in the "divot" to score! Also, if another ball hits a ball in these areas, you CAN knock the ball out of the "divot"!!!

You'll all have to wait and see what I have in store for this one. I am excited to say the least!

Thanks for reading my rants about this one. I'm stoked!!! :) I love the redrawing for this one. I hope to keep this one in it's original state as best as possible. The playfield is extremely colorful. It's beautiful.

d

This one will be awhile since I need to find the bottom label, remove A LOT of glare and just redraw the entire table in general. I'm keeping anything that looks "old" on it to make it feel like the real thing. Just like Variety :)

More than likely, this table will be released on my Facebook page.

PS: Just found the label. An EASY redraw :)

Last edited:
Pictures to come VERY soon....WOW what a difference redrawing a playfield makes. So much glare that had to come off of this one. A before and now pic will be posted soon enough. There's still more to redraw but it looks MUCH better than it did! I hope this one looks as good as Bonanza did after I was done with it. Trying my best to make the NICEST looking tables I can that will want to make you come back to play them again and again.

Good Luck, 1932 Genco is for Visual Pinball 9.09! OOPS - did I just type that???

d

Last edited:
Just took a peek at this one at IPDB, and it looks like my kind of game. I wonder how many horse racing themed games were made over the years?

Just took a peek at this one at IPDB, and it looks like my kind of game. I wonder how many horse racing themed games were made over the years?

John, wish I knew. A LOT I gather. I'm trying to "blend" the colors properly so it looks like a totally CLEAN playfield. Imagine a 1932 machine that looked brand new. That's my goal with this one! Can't wait to put some pics of this one up soon! :) Just a little more redrawing - I do have to remove the wire "holders" for the balls though so that will take abit of time. I've been at this ALL DAY today and it looks near perfect. Like I said, I can't wait to put some pics up! Also have to trim the "horseshoe" to look right. I've also removed most of the pins on the playfield. Will make it look nice. I have A LOT in store for this gorgeous machine. Also have to redo the label.

d

Last edited:
Getting close for the redraw being done. Been at this for a long while. What's left is the top where it shows "Good Luck", each of the yellow circles with horses needs to be done and finally the outer "shell" of the machine itself. Then I can start coding and making this one work.

d

John, hope you got the images of the redraw from me.

OOPS - Almost forgot I have to do the label too!!! :p

Last edited:
No Will, I didn't get anything from you today.

This image I think I sent to you already John....

d

The left is the original bottom image. The right is the redrawn image. That glare is nearly gone!!! ;)

The yellow circles with the horses (all four) need to be done too. Also the two 100 point areas and the black around the area. WHEW! Never an end to this....

Attachments

• GoodLuckBOTTOM.JPG
    GoodLuckBOTTOM.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 363
oh sweet! I was going to beg that you post some pics... that redraw looks great! I also looked at it at IPDB and it looks neat, especially since you will be changing the scoring areas a bit.

oh sweet! I was going to beg that you post some pics... that redraw looks great! I also looked at it at IPDB and it looks neat, especially since you will be changing the scoring areas a bit.

Thanks faralos!

How's this look now?

The pins and gate has been removed and the horse has been properly colored via pixel placement. This pic as well as the above are from Microsoft Paint that I have been working in.

Trying to keep everything on the PF that should look old like the horses, the point numbers and "Good Luck" along the top. Honestly, I'm redrawing this PIXEL BY PIXEL. So it's been hell, but in the long run it WILL look and play like the real thing. I still have A LOT to do on this. Anyway, here's the new screenshot of the above after more work was done on it.

d

Since I like a CLEAN looking playfield, I'll be leaving Good Luck as a BMP image in VP unless I can get PhotoBrush to keep a JPEG image perfect :) Of course uploading it to this forum makes the image not look "right" either, so you'll have to wait to see the real deal. It looks MUCH better in the VP proggie itself. Like I said, uploading an image to a server makes the image look quite dull, so the pic you're viewing isn't what it really looks like.

PS: Remember, this is only the bottom ;)

I also appreciate the complement Faralos. I really do. I try my hardest to make all these tables look their best.

Attachments

• GoodLuckBottom2.bmp
    359.8 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
This image I think I sent to you already John....

d

The left is the original bottom image. The right is the redrawn image. That glare is nearly gone!!! ;)

The yellow circles with the horses (all four) need to be done too. Also the two 100 point areas and the black around the area. WHEW! Never an end to this....

Yes, that one I got. I thought you meant some other images.

And again....wire door is gone. Lifts up to allow the balls to roll to the bottom of the machine, lowers to catch the balls when the game starts. The horse is also now cleaned up much better.

Oh, before I forget - you'll need GOOD LUCK when playing because of the backdrop. Let's just say that it WILL MESS WITH YOUR MIND. :)

Attachments

• GoodLuckBOTTOM3pic.bmp
    342.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Well, this one is really nearing completion of the drawing - I'm just satisfied at how this old laptop is handling the paint program. I wanted to post these two balls I am using for Good Luck itself. 9 white balls and 1 red. These are beautiful images and wanted to share them with folks who decide to make flipperless or pre flippered machines. These may help you out - I will have more as well; a couple of purple, black and etc....

These are glassy balls so they show up in VP perfectly. BUT - if you use these as JPEG images they will not work right. So, keep them as BMP and they are crystal clean and fly around a playfield without a hitch. Below are the white and red BMP ball file images. 40kb each.

Hope this helps someone and I'll also post them in the downloads section: ANYTHING / PINBALL RELATED.

d

Attachments

• redball.bmp
    37.6 KB · Views: 319
  • whiteball.bmp
    37.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Thanks kid, I can always use a few more ball images.

Thanks kid, I can always use a few more ball images.

Anytime pal. I have more coming when I have time! Green, purple, pink, black, orange and light blue.

I'll get them up soon.

d

Last edited:
Almost finished. Projected release date: CHRISTMAS.

d

The balls STAY on the playfield and roll to the bottom. The balls are held in place by "wire" doors that literally "lift up" and the balls roll to the bottom area of the playfield and line up at the plunger. These wire doors kind of look like the bottom of a coffin if you were looking at one.
Huh? don't most pins have balls that stay on the field then roll to the bottom? isn't that what gravity is doing? did I miss something in Science class?

The balls STAY on the playfield and roll to the bottom. The balls are held in place by "wire" doors that literally "lift up" and the balls roll to the bottom area of the playfield and line up at the plunger. These wire doors kind of look like the bottom of a coffin if you were looking at one.
Huh? don't most pins have balls that stay on the field then roll to the bottom? isn't that what gravity is doing? did I miss something in Science class?

With many commercial flipperless games, the ball will drop through a scoring hole in the playfield to be collected and stored until a new game is started. Or else there might be a Return hole which allows the ball to be played again.

Correct John.

Most pin machines DO NOT allow the balls to stay on the playfield AFTER a game is played. They usually will drop into the lower part of the machine to be led to the inside lower part of the machine. Then, you had to use a ball lift to raise the ball to the plunger. Good Luck is OPPOSITE of that. Even Genco's O.K. is the same way. I hope to tackle that one too time permitting.

In all actuality, the balls are held by wire doors. When a new game is played, the wire doors RAISE UP and the balls roll underneath to be lined up at the plunger. Most pin machines don't do this. Some (not many) did. Most pin machines have the balls drop INTO THE MACHINE via holes. Good Luck didn't do this.

It allows for all the balls to stay ABOVE the playfield on the machine.

d

Last edited:
John;

Check your email. Sent you a NEW Good Luck, 1932 Genco pic. Hope you like it. I'm TRYING to keep it as real to the original as possible. Hope I've succeeded.

I only have the lower part of the horseshoe to redraw AND the outer machine metal area and that's it. After that, the scripting and pin placement.

d

Last edited:
You're got it looking great Will. It reminds me a bit of Favorite, but I think it'll be a lot more fun to play.

Graphics are finished. Decided to leave the outer red metal alone. Now for all the pins, walls and doors. Then to the scripting.

d

Last edited:
Wish I could find the "magnet" for VP6 when it was released. I have it on a CD in Florida. If ANYONE has this, PLEASE PM OR EM me. I really do need this since I cannot use VP9 to recreate what I had in store for this near finished WIP. Thanks in advance.

d

Another pic of the bottom. 100% of the graphics are totally done. Just the layout of "doors" has to be placed (also a few "nicks and nacks") then onto further scripting. Won't be long before this one needs a GOOD playtest.

I had to post this pic since I think it looks a LOT better than the original piccy I had. Man, the work behind these redraws are tiresome but worth every moment. I just LOVE the graphics/colors on this one! :)

Unfortunately, the 1's on the 100's had to be redrawn totally. I think they look "old" enough though. The label was another dilemma; I found one on IPDB and cut it out, reshaped it and eventually redrew the gold around the letters. The result was quite nice and I am pleased with it. There actually were TWO versions of this machine - 7 balls for 1 cent and 10 balls for 5 cents. I chose the older one and there is less balls on the PF at any given time. Actually, this label is from Genco's O.K. so I think it was befitting of it to land into this WIP. Both machines use the same colors and graphics and even the same "lift up" wire doors :)

The pins were easy but took me a few hours to place properly from the original image of the PF. I just cut out one pinhead and placed it on the PF accordingly.

d

Attachments

• GoodLuckPIC3.jpg
    GoodLuckPIC3.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
No more triggers for this one! Bye bye!

Went and used gates. They work 2,000 times better. Seems VP 910 has some serious issues with the triggers. I can set the SOBs up to 1000 and as low as 0 using very thin custom triggers and they don't score down the center of the PF. So they're gone. Hope this issue is seriously addressed when a new version is released.

Hope to have this table done soon. It's so much fun :)

d

Sorry I have not posted or worked on this as much as I have hoped. It's STILL in the WIP stages since I have been in contact with so many friends I've missed over the years using Facebook.

This one is still being worked on, along with Variety and Mexican Baseball. Just give me time. Have to catch up on old friends first ;)

d

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back