Genco Good Luck, 1932 Genco

Take your time Will. I'll give you today off so you can enjoy your birthday party. You do have my address so you can send me any leftover cake, right?

Take your time Will. I'll give you today off so you can enjoy your birthday party. You do have my address so you can send me any leftover cake, right?

I have your address but won't be having any cake. Thanks for the post :)
I have to go over to my friends' place and hang out. That's about the gist of it. At least I'm not working on my birthday. :p

I have Genco's Good Luck really working good, but have to yet to do the plunger, the divot holes and fine polish the scoring system. It plays very nice but there is still a lack of few things in it.

I currently have 4 WIP going at once but I hope to have them all done asap.

I'm even considering doing Pro Pool over since I have a VERY nice PF for it. Who knows. I also have Gottlieb's Mini Cycle which I want to redraw entirely by hand.

Have lots to do, so little time. It wasn't like this when we first started. I guess I am much more tired than I used to be :p

Thanks again John for the birthday wishes. It's appreciated pal.

Will
d

Coming very soon! This one will be released before Pro Pool and Mini Cycle! My first flipperless table since I've been back.

Just a little ball tracking scripting to debug, some graphic issues and a few other things here and there.

This one saves your high scores.

This one also uses magnets to simulate the "divot" holes along the top. The divots score perfectly and if you knock the ball out of the divot the score is removed! Nudging can also knock the ball out of that divot. Thanks to Dorsola's magnet demo I was able to implement his script into Good Luck in under 30 minutes, using three magnets.

If you think this game will be easy, think again. I've had a HELL of a time getting those balls into the divots! If you have a fast speed, the ball hits the divot and pivots off another direction. This can be hell if you're going for high points!

Everything is working so far but the ball tracking. Otherwise this one is near complete.

d

A "special" screenshot will follow tomorrow! :)

Last edited:
I think I liked it better when you were making the Genco counter top games. This new one sounds impossibly hard. But I'll still looking forward to testing it.

If you love nudging John, this game is for you!

WARNING: Excess nudging loosens the ball from divots. Ball to ball contact with high speed loosens the ball from divots. An empty divot with a ball at high speed causes the ball to loop around the divots.

I've actually had a ball in the divot and another ball came and hit the other ball out, replacing it with the other ball in that was currently outside of the divot! It blew me away and was really cool to see.

At first, this game will literally piss you off. After a few goes, you'll find it's really a nice challenge. I STILL haven't hit the 2,000 horseshoe hole out of over 150 games! That divot is crazy! Hitting the 500 and 800 point ones aren't so tough, but if your speed is too fast you'll know it and the ball "loops" around the divot and goes nuts.

You'll love this. :)

d

Last edited:
IN PLAYTEST MODE! Check your email tiltjlp!!!

It's coming. Stay tuned. My first flipperless since I have returned.

This one is a real blast! ;)

PIC to follow soon!

d

Last edited:
Good Luck, 1932 Genco FULL screen PIC. Yes, it even has HIGH SCORE save and the "divots" DO WORK!

This table has been a B**** to finish!

Enjoy.

d

Attachments

• GoodLuckFULLPIC.jpg
    GoodLuckFULLPIC.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 264
Looks really nice.

I'd like to see the nails cast shadows. The balls look too big to me, but I don't know what the real game looks like. VP9.1.0 and higher has a way to create balls bigger or smaller, but I haven't figured it out yet. Below is the info from the VP9.1.0 changelog.

*Added Kicker.CreateSizedBall (float radius) - Returns Ball

Looks really nice.

I'd like to see the nails cast shadows. The balls look too big to me, but I don't know what the real game looks like. VP9.1.0 and higher has a way to create balls bigger or smaller, but I haven't figured it out yet. Below is the info from the VP9.1.0 changelog.

*Added Kicker.CreateSizedBall (float radius) - Returns Ball

Bob;

Thank you for the post.

I will add shadows to the nails once they are redone. I want them to look REALLY sharp before I release this one.

The balls are the EXACT size as they are in the game. I've asked someone who owns this one and they are right :)

So far, everything is working very nicely but some graphical work has yet to be done on this one. Should be done very soon I hope!

Thanks again for the post.

d

Sometimes I think these flipperless tables are 10 times harder to make than those flippered ones! :p

You are right. I'm really surprised to see marbles included in such a well made game. I notice a couple of red ones in this pic.

4288-5.jpg

You are right. I'm really surprised to see marbles included in such a well made game. I notice a couple of red ones in this pic.

4288-5.jpg

Bob;

There's actually ONE colored ball. Perhaps this owner didn't have the marbles that way. There were 2 versions of this machine; 7 balls for 1 cent and 10 for 5 cents. I'm making the first. Also, the above one is a 10 balls for 5 cents. It may have two different colored balls are double the score. Who knows. I can't read the label :(

MANY flipperless machines played with marbles and NOT metal balls. Some balls were glass, some harder glass (like marbles) and some were bakelite. Some even started to use the metal balls. Even PLASTIC balls were used in some of these machines! There's a lot to know about these tables compared to the flippered ones! ;)

Of course my pins and doors are regular steel and here you see brass. Either way, it's the same game. Just trying to do my best to make this one look and play as best as possible.

d

Last edited:
Beautiful bagatelle pictures on this site. My problem with bagatelles isn't the fact that they have no flippers, it's the fact that the releases seldom have worthy playfield images worth downloading. I have a 1920x1080 monitor, so I don't want to look at blurry 400x300 resolution images blown up on it.... I guess I'm a graphics whore.

http://www.pinball-gallery.com/collection.php?lang=ag&cat=pinball

Beautiful bagatelle pictures on this site. My problem with bagatelles isn't the fact that they have no flippers, it's the fact that the releases seldom have worthy playfield images worth downloading. I have a 1920x1080 monitor, so I don't want to look at blurry 400x300 resolution images blown up on it.... I guess I'm a graphics whore.

http://www.pinball-gallery.com/collection.php?lang=ag&cat=pinball

Bob;

Yes, this is a GREAT site but most of the images have to be redrawn like I did with the image you posted above for Good Luck. Takes a bit of work, but the overall redo of these is worth the time. ;)

It takes VERY LITTLE effort to redraw any playfield image if your patience will allow it. Trust me, when I first started Good Luck I did not want to really finish it because THIS redraw was a TOUGH job. But the finished result I think is quite nice. It was the "glare" that made me very unhappy.

Of course the NICE thing is once it's redrawn and in BMP format, the image is crystal clear and looks so good at 1024x768 dpi. That's why the redraws are VERY important! I gather I'm a graphics whore too! ;) JPG and PNG are NOT good image formats for VP. I've tried them and they don't work for me. I am a graphics whore too! BMP file formats may be big, but the overall result of image clarity is about perfect.

Not to be a "nitpicker" but these are really NOT bagatelles. They're coin operated pin machines. Yes, there is a difference and I prefer to make coin op pin tables. Tiltjlp likes his bagatelles. Nice thing is that we all have our "vision" of art. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I always say.

d

Last edited:
Of course the NICE thing is once it's redrawn and in BMP format, the image is crystal clear and looks so good at 1024x768 dpi. That's why the redraws are VERY important! I gather I'm a graphics whore too! ;)

d

Unfortunately, VP in 1024x768 is also rather blah, once you move up in resolution, it's very hard to go down.

I see lots of tables on that site that could easily be done with the decal method of making tables. The problem would be knowing the rules and having enough interest to go about learning the rules.

Unfortunately, VP in 1024x768 is also rather blah, once you move up in resolution, it's very hard to go down.

I see lots of tables on that site that could easily be done with the decal method of making tables. The problem would be knowing the rules and having enough interest to go about learning the rules.

I can understand that. Of course I've tried you're higher res and my eyes cannot see what is on the screen fully. Yes, the higher res is nice but for most folk (I can only assume) it can cause some SERIOUS eye strain. It does for me. I can't go above 1024x768.

As for the decal type of making, it seems VP has issues with this. Personally, I'd like to see GLASS DECALS that can be set at a height of 50 or higher so you don't have to use those damned walls. That would be a lifesaver. It would make it 10 times easier to have a ball roll under it and have the backdrop color transparent. I'm shocked this hasn't been done as of yet! Even decals don't work right doing this! This could be so real if they would implement this! I have used decals on my two flippered tables I just released and they come out much nicer than the normal image. Agreed.

Thanks for the posts Bob. Great reading from you as usual. It's all appreciated.

d

I've playtested it and love it. On my 2nd game I hit the elusive 2,000 point divot on the 3rd ball, and didn't knock it loose. This is a wonderful coin-op, and loads of fun.

And Bob, you mentioned the #1 problem with making these old games, learning the rules. Unless you find an owner of a particular coin-op table, it's nearly impossible to find out what the rules are. The nice thing about doing bagatelle and plastic toy pins is that the rules are much simpler in most cases.

Attachments

• Good Luck.jpg
    Good Luck.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 259
I've playtested it and love it. On my 2nd game I hit the elusive 2,000 point divot on the 3rd ball, and didn't knock it loose. This is a wonderful coin-op, and loads of fun.

And Bob, you mentioned the #1 problem with making these old games, learning the rules. Unless you find an owner of a particular coin-op table, it's nearly impossible to find out what the rules are. The nice thing about doing bagatelle and plastic toy pins is that the rules are much simpler in most cases.

John;

Thank you. Just have a few more graphic fixes and this one is done. I've also lowered the 2,000 point divot "magnet" a bit to line up properly. Now it looks just right. I'm glad I've made your day with the playtest.

What folks fail to realize about these old "pin machines" is the rules are easy but the mechanics are a NIGHTMARE. Working with VP you are limited to what VP can do, same goes for the flippered machines BUT making the mechanics work in VP is not so easy with the flipperless machines. Really, it has taken me THIS LONG to make Good Luck to work like it does John. I wanted it to play right and I think it does.

The redrawing was the total nightmare along with the divot scoring. When I first saw this PF I had a heart attack and thought it was the most thought out and well designed game I had ever seen for a coin op pin machine. I was right. The artwork and the layout for this 1932 machine is just perfect.

Most folks may not play these, but are they loads of fun ;)

d

Thanks again for the email and the post John. I do appreciate it.

ANNOUNCEMENT: tiltjlp is the FIRST Good Luck player to hit the 2,000 point scoring divot! John is the master of nudging. I salute you Mr. tiltjlp!!!! You may not be good with flippers but you sure as hell can nudge! TILTJLP = NUDGE MASTER.

Now I have to ask; did you play on easy, normal or HARD? I always like the hard setting myself ;)

Last edited:
I think that game was at the normal setting. The hard setting is extremely difficult, but I think with the easy setting it may be a piece of cake to hit all three divots. I always test the games you send me at all your settings, to make sure they work like they should.

John;

Check your email. This one is ready to be released. The RAR file is there!

d

Time to finish my two other flipperless tables now. One by JP Seeburg and the other by Scientific Machine Co.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back