having problems playing tables in Vp/vpm

DavinaJo

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Need some help i just recently reinstalled Virtual Install Pack ver 8.1_1.59 move everything i need to run the tables from my old setup however when i go to run the programs/a table the table comes up and the lights will run (addams family) but i can't add quarters, table won't start and none of keys that are suppose to work with vp/vpm just don't it's as if the code for the programs have expired.

Anyone had this problem before and if so how did you correct it.

Much Thanks In Advance

this also includes all the sounds associated with inserting the coins and startup sounds (depending on table)

Any messages, errors, anything? Sounds like it can find your ROMs to me, but that would have some type of an error associated with it.

Did you install the VIP to another place on your harddrive(-s) than you had VP/VPM installed before? And you didn't uninstall the previous setup?

Then I tend to recommend to first save all your tables, roms, cfg, nvram and what else (all your pinball stuff) to a save place on your harddrive, then to uninstall your multiple pinball setups and then to make a new installation of the VIP. Then move the saved tables, roms, cfg, nvram and what else to their intended places.

first off my system is a P4 based DualCore 2.8/2.8, BFG Nvidia 7300GT with 256mb Video Ram 2gigs DDR2.

to answer your question I'm using Vista Home Premium and had to a while back redo it but it left a previous version of itself in place, directory called Windows.old, and yes there is a copy there ... (i think it's still there).
btw if i didn't mention it i'm using a logitec keyboard, mouse and gamepad - G11,Cordless Optical Trackman and Dual Action Gampad

Not sure if this is your issue, but under Vista you need to choose "Run as Administrator" when running VP or it won't run correctly.

oh, btw i just remove the old copy from the old version of windows and when i went back and ran the new copy i'm still getting the same thing the game loads no sounds none of th keycommands work

i really really really don't want to be messing with Windows Registry
(i can do but i don't like to.)

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. I don't mean your Windows installations, but your Visual Pinball installations. If there are more than one on your PC, things could have become disarranged, so you should try to get rid of all the previous installations and then make one clean new installation.

well gentlemen when i remove the old copy for some reason now my current copy thinks there is no tables present yet my file explorer (not the windows file explorer ) says the tables are there i'm about to pull my hair out of my head ... and i when i went to my backup of the tables etc. vp was only showing me two of all the tables i was running at the time of backup .... wierd but the table i chose to run came up with rom errors and i'm sure i went to the ipdb to replace them...

ps when i ran my front end it also said that the tables didn't exist.
btw i've decided to wipe my current copy .. i wonder if going to the newer version of VIP would fix things?

If you mean VP 9.0.1, it will make things WORSE, as most tables need to be modified to run under that version.

no good nothing works virtual pinball is screwed!!

now it can't even find the tables and according to Powerdesk the tables do exist

i'm about ready to just wipe the dumb thing out completely....

whatever is in the vip

at this junture it would be easier (possibly far less stressful) to reinstall both version 8.1.1 and 1.59 manually then add the games back in one at a time then visit IPDB again and redownload the fixed roms

well i've given up for now ... would doing this manually fix my problem once i get rid of every version of vp/vpm... MAME never gives me this problem and vpm is based on that!

I'm sorry I'm not speaking English as my first language, so I have problems to find out where your sentences start and end. Please try to use punctuation marks.

It seems you still have several installations of VP/VPM on your PC and the last actual version isn't the same as the one, you're looking at in your file explorer.

I would recommend to get rid of all VP installation made before. As I said, save your files (tables, roms, ...) and uninstall all previous installations of VP and the VIP. Maybe restart your PC after that. Then install the last actual VIP. Default folder is C:\Programs\Pinball.

Copy your saved files to the intended subfolders of C:\Programs\Pinball and just try again.

If the frontend (which?) also says the files/tables don't exist, you probably don't direct it to use the right of your several installations.

A newer version of the VIP doesn't fix that, because it seems to be a problem of several different VP/VPM installations at your PC.

well i've given up for now ... would doing this manually fix my problem once i get rid of every version of vp/vpm... MAME never gives me this problem and vpm is based on that!

PinMame likely wouldn't give you any problems either, but most people don't get much enjoyment out of just playing with the CPU portion of a pinball machine. It's the integration between Visual PinMame and Visual Pinball that's tricky. The VIP does a pretty good job of simplifying it.

I'd agree with Yogi... Start fresh, remove any instances of VP and VPM and install from scratch. Then if it doesn't work, share the error messages with us instead of saying "it doesn't work". No way we can help that way.

that is what i've done however i've kept on a separate drive all of the install programs, roms, tables, scripts and other flotsam and jetsam require to run VP i hope these don't also get in the way as i can not get rid of these!

Kill the drive yes eliminate source files no.

What?

However, don't become impatient too fast.

If you're not willing to try out some of the support you get here, I'm not willing to invest more time to try to help.

cleaned it out reinstalled it put a table in it and still i'm getting error loading file
btw if you find the idiot who wrote the damn program hold him while i fit him with a pair of cement shoes.

you don't understand my quip... i was simply saying that if i had to i could shut the external drive off i wasn't about to go eliminate my install files simply because the program was been kept from running because of them.

"Error loading file" is caused by either the file chosen in the Open dialog not existing or by the file system not allowing VP access to the file. It still sounds like Vista's playing with you. You ARE running VP as administrator, right?

To start VP, right-click the shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator" and see if it makes any difference.

Vista is indeed pulling a number on me i know i've copied the table into the tables directory of vpm

i didn't have this problem when i first starting using vista

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back