Gottlieb Solved Hot Shot (Gottlieb, 1973) Help Needed!

Tommycanyouhearme

Inserted Coin
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
High Hand
I had this machine working 100% about a year ago and then things started to go wrong. It was put aside for a while but now it's time to bring it back to life. When the start button is pushed it tries to reset but the last two numbers move very slowly or stop all together. If it does complete the start up there are no playfield lights,the tilt light is on and the ball does not kick out.
Any thought on where I should look first?

Thanks,
Tom

Solution
the HB and LB relays are for the 2000 and 3000 bonus multiplier. those 2 relays should only pull in when the player up unit counts to the proper ball. the player up unit wiper disc and the 3-5 ball adj are the two main things that allow the two relays to pull in. so no the HB or LB should not pull in at the start of a game. check the player up unit disc and wiper arm for shorts or problems.
check , clean , adjust the stack switches on the score reels that are having a problem. check , clean , adjust the switches and operation of the 2 player reset relays in the head, tilt relay , tilt hold relay , and ball roll tilt switch.

sounds like there is a lot of gunk in the switches to stop or go slowly like that
again like the post before me clean everything real well and hopefully the reels will turn once again freely

Hi Dave, I have gone through the score reels and nothing has changed. What does the 2 player reset relay in the head look like? I am not familiar with this relay. Does it have a letter?
Thanks ,
Tom

each of the 2 player reset relays in the head will have 8 NO switches on them. they are usually the last 2 relays in the relay row. the switches on these relays have un-switched power , so pushing in on these relays at any time will pulse the score reels that they work 1 pulse. im not sure of the relay lettters. PB1 and PB2 might be correct.

Hi Dave,
I found the relays you mentioned. The PB2, PB3,and PB4 relays are on the bottom panel, is this because it is a 4 player game? I pulled the bottom relay board out and cleaned and checked all the contacts. When I put it back together I am getting the tilt and game over lights. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Thank,
Tom:(

Last edited:
oops ok the PB2,PB3,and PB4 relays are player latch ins , not for reset. the 2 player reset relays are in the head. set every score reel to 1 , and push these relays to see if all the score reels return to zero. after all reels correctly reset to zero try starting a game and how far does the start sequence get completed. does the bank with those PB relays ever reset?

Dave, I have all the score reels at zero, but the relays won't budge! They are towards the coin door position. Should I be able to just push them towards the back of the machine?
Can you tell me if all the score reel switches should be set the same? 10's, 100's, 1,00's and 10,000's. I am looking at my score reels and they are not the same as the photos I printed from the internet. What are the correct settings?

are the relays you are talking about the bank behind the coin box? the 3 switches in the score reel stack should all be open at zero position.are you able to start a game? what all happens when you try to start a game? can you supply pics of what looks different from your machine to the internet pics? can you post a scan of your schematic?

I believe I figured out the score reel switch problem I was having. Even though my score reels are not ten sided I believe they are 1st Generation. Is that correct for this machine? That is how the switches are set up!
Here is a link to a short video of what's happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3bBGsbzouU
I can't figure out how to attach photos on this website.

Thank you,
Tom

Last edited:
Here is where I am at so far. When replay button is pushed S and V relays both energize and release, score motor turns 1/3 turn. Should the S relay stay energized at this point? The R hold relay energizes and stays held.The U relay does not energize to reset the control bank. If I push the U relay the control bank does reset. If I manually engage the SB1 reset control relay, sometimes the scores will reset. Sometimes the QB1 game over relay will not allow me to engage it by hand and will buzz. When I am able to push it the game over light will go off and the game will play.

Thank you,
Tom

the S start relay should stay pulled in long enough to energize SB1 relay. the SB1 relay looks to be the 2nd step in the reset sequence. once SB1 latch relay pulls in the score motor will stay running till the bank is reset thru the U relay. the start relay hold in switches are anti-cheat switch and score motor 2B. so SB1 should pull in before start relay drops out. another score motor run switch is on SB2 , but cant find the relay on schematic. can you re-post a list of the relays and bank relays to ID what all these do.

score motor switch ID charts are always helpful. have you got SB1 to pull in yet?

No, SB1 will not pull in. This seems to be the next logical step. My friend who is an electrician and I have been spending hours check switches with a meter trying to find out why it will not pull in with no luck. When I engage it manually the score motor spins, but score reel switches do not reset, should they at this point?

Thank you for all the support Dave. Without all of you help I would have given up on this machine by now and sold it! :cheers:

Last edited:
try holding in S relay for 1 complete score motor revolution. does SB1 pull in? what does the ZB relay do? can you post the complete list of relay letters and what they do. you did have a partial list posted and then changed or edited the post.

here is what to try next. with the control bank reset , connect a alligator clip jumper from the red-blk wire that goes to the fuse clip for solenoid/relay power to the mar-wh wire on the total play meter connection just for a second. the meter should pulse( if it still works, some dont) and either the SB1 or PB2 relay should pull in. next reset control bank again , trip the ZB relay , and use jumper to touch the mar-wh wire again. the meter should pulse and the other relay should pull in. post results of this test.

Hi Dave,
I cannot find a mar-wh wire on the total play meter. There are 2 solid brown wires coming out of it and they are not the same kind of wires that are used on everything else in the machine. They have more of a rubber coating. By play meter connection did you mean the jones plug next to it? If so The wires are so faded it is hard to tell what colors they are but, I don't see anything that looks to be mar-wh. Also I had to manually engage the tilt hold relay to get the ZB relay to close or it would buzz and not allow itself to be closed. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Tom

with the control bank reset , connect a alligator clip jumper from the red-blk wire that goes to the fuse clip for solenoid/relay power to the mar-wh wire on the total play meter connection just for a second. the meter should pulse( if it still works, some dont) and either the SB1 or PB2 relay should pull in. next reset control bank again , trip the ZB relay , and use jumper to touch the mar-wh wire again. the meter should pulse and the other relay should pull in. post results of this test.

Test 1: PB2 relay pulled in, meter did not advance.
Test 2: SB1 and SB2 both pulled in, meter did not advance.
Score motor continues to run after mar-wh wire is touched.
new info on start up the R hold relay pulls in but the H Tilt hold will not but if manually pushed in it will stay closed
checked the contacts on the R relay and they were ok

those tests told me that the play meter isnt working , but the coils on the SB1 and PB2 relays are working. the H tilt hold relay isnt shown on the schematic , can you post that portion of the schematic.but it stays pulled in when pushed. the next test is to move the jumper off of those wires and connect the jumper to the mar+yel and the org+bl wires on the switch thats on the start relay. manually reset control bank. manually start the score motor running , do either of the SB1 or PB2 coils pull in.

next file clean score motor switches 3B mar+wh and mar+yel wires and 1A with org+bl and red-wh wires , repeat last step with jumper still on switch on start relay and see if the relays pull in.

Hi Dave,
Cleaned score motor switches 3B mar+wh and mar+yel wires and 1A with org+bl and red-wh wires. SB1 and PB2 still do not pull in. When SB1 is manually activated the score reels start to reset but do not finish. After pushing start button 3 times and activating SB1 each time the score reels finished resetting.
I am having a minor surgery on my thumb tomorrow, so I will probably not be able to do much for the next couple of weeks.
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your expertise to try and help me get this machine running. I will let you know when I can resume working on this problem.

Tom

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back