How to Install Addressable LEDs

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
This is a video on how to install addressable LEDs into your pinball cabinet that was created by Major Frenchy:

The guys that have used it suggest that you watch and press pause on your video player while you are working on it.

Question
wil DOF and or DOFLinx work with just a teensey controller for cabinet side and bottom strips (4 strips)
and light up when playing.?
Just a teensey, no ledwiz pinscape or anything else.

2) If this will work, Im using a WemosMINI d1 v4 (and Arnoz tools just to do a test.
I flashed the firmware and it seems like it worked as the strip lit up.
However, thats as far as it gets.
I need a clean install of popper etc, but Im pretty sure dof is working.
i checked the lpog and I get a cannot send to usb controller. It finds it but its like its blocked from receiving information.
i used DOF config tool and generated a single simple INI, and also did a simple cabinet file (followed wayofthe wrench) tinytools tutorial and used Left PF on channel 1 (d5). So i would get led lighting when left pf wall was hit.

this is whats holding me up so far (im about ready to order one ready to go and avoid the F****** headache.
this is my last hardware additin I need to finally start finishing my wall mount pincab.

error
2024.01.13 03:14:12.374 Initializing ComPort COM5 with these settings :
2024.01.13 03:14:12.374 BaudRate 115200, Parity None, DataBits 8, StopBits One, R/W Timeouts 200ms
2024.01.13 03:14:12.374 Handshake Timings : Open 50ms, Loop Start/End 20/50ms
2024.01.13 03:14:13.071 EXCEPTION: Could not put the controller on com-port 'COM5' into the commandmode. Will not send data to the controller.

I verified the drivers from Wemos site, rebooted reset cleared and rewrote the ledstrip formware etc.
tried using the alternate directoutput.dll also that I found on MJfrechy's tutorial and the github repo.
I have 2 more wemos chip and may try a different led formware from

Do I need to ground GPIO0 to put in hi low mode? (trying that next)

here are the logs.

Attachments

• DirectOutput.TXT
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
  • cabinet.TXT
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
  • directoutputconfig30.TXT
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Addressable leds are also referred to as MX Leds for VP / FP.

Teensy is used for MX leds only (typically) and works with DOF (and DOFLinx). Nothing else is needed for that, MX Leds can be used for than main playfield lights, undercab, buttons, etc. However not all tables with have support for all those things added for MX Leds on DOf Config Tool web site.

You need the latest 32 bit DOF installed and correctly setup for your particular MX Led setup.

If a table has DOFLinx support added (mostly older table mods from me way back) it will have MX leds support, but needs DOFLinx installed, setup correctly and running to work with those tables.

PinEvent V2 tables have full DOF and MX Leds support which uses DOF directly (doflinx is no longer needed / used).

PinEvent LITE tables will have minimal MX Led support added.(until they are updated to V2)

All PinEvent tables require that DOFLinx is NOT running (it will interfere with the table's DOF).

Go on VPUniverse DOF section and ask there. Not many people here even know what you are talking about (and I don't have a Wemos, etc).

Last edited:
Thank you Terry, I forgot about this post.
So I have them working however, nobody mentioned you cannot have addressable leds in pinball fx without a pinscape due to how doflinx configures the devices. I finally found another person trying to use only PF Right and PF Left addressable leds and Anim Backglass for VPX, FP, MAME, FX2, FX3

Is this still true with newer versions of DOF and DOFLinx?
Is there anything I can do to Trick or emulate another device so I can make this work. I dont need all the features of a Pinscape and dont want to sink any more cash into a bartop style case. Kl25z boards are a bit much so shell out for 2 strips.

I wonder if a wireless 360 controller would make the wemos act as device2 ? hmmmmm

Thank you Terry, I forgot about this post.
So I have them working however, nobody mentioned you cannot have addressable leds in pinball fx without a pinscape due to how doflinx configures the devices. I finally found another person trying to use only PF Right and PF Left addressable leds and Anim Backglass for VPX, FP, MAME, FX2, FX3

Is this still true with newer versions of DOF and DOFLinx?
Is there anything I can do to Trick or emulate another device so I can make this work. I dont need all the features of a Pinscape and dont want to sink any more cash into a bartop style case. Kl25z boards are a bit much so shell out for 2 strips.

I wonder if a wireless 360 controller would make the wemos act as device2 ? hmmmmm
This isnt true. I got everything working accept FX2, awaiting the new FX doflinx update.

This is a video on how to install addressable LEDs into your pinball cabinet that was created by Major Frenchy:

The guys that have used it suggest that you watch and press pause on your video player while you are working on it.
George, I'm seeing the message "Video Unavailable" in the OP, but did find the below one at a different link. Is it the same one? (maybe he updated and reuploaded since 2020?)

George, I'm seeing the message "Video Unavailable" in the OP, but did find the below one at a different link. Is it the same one? (maybe he updated and reuploaded since 2020?)

Major Frenchy says in the video that it is an update to the previous video so it has to be it.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back