I give my permission at this late time for anyone to fully redo my vp tables

Hey Doug.

Be nice to see someone redo the really old tables, though the problem now is since VP went open source, there has been so many changes that a lot more knowledge is needed just to get them to vp9.x. we won't even talk about VPX.

Been a while, hows life?

duglis, a legend of VP! oO

dang dude, how the hell did you find us here...??

Ike lol thanks . Shiva , been well except lost both parents in last four years. I can't get vpX to even work on my pc. Would be nice to have consensus on the best of each table done more than once. Which version? By who? Vp8 or 9 or FP? Anarchy I say! So, how have you been? Is tiltjp still around? Recommend any EM recreations in the last 4 years? Lol

hey. Well Popotte continues to grind them out, just for FP now. MartinB does really good SS tables as well. Never go wrong with his games, even Tii is there now. Not to sure with VP, pretty much the same thing. People do cartwheels over TAF, even though there are about 250 different versions of it, and ignore pretty much every thing else.
http://www.pinsimdb.org/ is a good place to find FP tables, gopinball is the forum now, after Chris's major hissy fit a few years ago.

Well, if there is anything worth downloading for VP, give me about a year. :)

Sorry about your parents, both of mine are 77 now, been a few scares the last couple years, so it's pretty rough sometimes. Everything else is good, kid is now 18 (!) and staring at me above my computer right now.

Haven't seen John in a while, think he was doing okay when I last talked to him.

Most of IRPinball went over to FP. FP has really improved a lot, especially with BAM now, and I know people like to take shots at it, but it's still kicking around, and has some pretty decent EM games. VPX just took off on a weirder and far more confusing tangent for us old timers. I took a look at it, went WTF, and just put it away in a corner of my computer. Hideously complex, way too much time and work to learn all this new stuff only to be ignored if I produce a table that doesn't have a ramp or rom, so I decided to just stick with VP9 and FP for the time being.

If you decide to do more EMs, VP9 or FP are perfectly fine, you will just end up pulling out your hair at VPX. That material system... yikes.

Last edited:
Duglis! That cartoon dog with the creepy laugh! I always remember a good avatar! As well as some of the fine tables you released over the years! Unfortunately, it does seem that tiltjlp may be at that big flipperless arcade in the sky... no one's been able to reach him for the last couple of years, but not for lack of trying. So... don't leave! We'll drive you nuts looking for you!

People do cartwheels over TAF, even though there are about 250 different versions of it, and ignore pretty much every thing else.

LOL! Despite all the crazy changes in the VP scene in the last 15 years, some things never change. I never have understood that. TAF isn't even that great a machine.

i love TAF and think it's a fabulous table, but i feel the same way about a lot of different tables. if people are obsessed about it, then i sure don't know why in particular.

what is BAM for FP?

AFAIK, FP still has funky physics, which is why i never really got in to it.

john's health was pretty bad 10 years ago. even just using the keyboard had become a pain for him as i recall. if he's still around, it's possible he's simply not participating in forum chat anymore.

Better arcade mode. It's a major plug-in for FP, just as important as VpinMAME is for VP. Better lighting/ multiple physics/ effects etc. The physics are adjustable, or you can use one of the multiple physics package already available that replaces the FP.exe. Far easier to use, (though limited) because the physics are a lot less than VPX, but it's a little quiet right now, as vpx still has that new car smell.

I think people are just going to have to put away their opinions they made 4 years ago, and give programs like FP/BAM a honest second chance, and take the time to do the research to get it running properly. (It's pretty simple actually, looks to be a lot less compicated than some of the things for VP) FP does have strengths that VP can't match, like far more originals and EM/SS games, and hopefully, a lot of those games can be tweaked a bit with the xml file. BAM has started with VR support as well now, rift etc.

VPX pretty much steals a lot of things from BAM. About the physics thing, I'm really not seeing that much of a difference now, it really depends on the person doing it. I've seen some pretty recent releases on vpx which were downright wrong for the game. Very disappointed, the exact same game on FP is better playing, and far closer to the actual arcade game. I played it since it first came out in the arcades, and has to be in the thousands of games now.

I think the difference is a lot of the games for VPX are by people who never played the game in real life, and it does show quite clearly. Still, as a player, I find the authors I like and make sure I download their tables. MartinB and Popottes stuff is always very good, Seawitch just came out for FP, and MartinB nailed it.

Doesn't mean that I feel FP is a better setup, it's just a hell of a lot easier to use, and it does the job for the average person. More a program for the masses, while VP has become very powerful, but fewer and fewer people are able to build tables as it has become geek ware more than anything. If you could combine both, and get the pocket protector set away from the usability and design sections, and give it to a team that designs and builds the front end/editor for the average person to be able to use, it would be everything everyone wants.

Isn't it strange things have come so full circle here?

Last edited:
hey, that FP news sounds exciting. glad to hear all that! after my big MAME project is finished, i'll have to check that stuff out.

i do feel that VP long ago kind of got hijacked by VPM. it was on its way to becoming a fabulous medium for originals at one point. nice to hear that FP has gained some purchase there.

yeah, i had a few offbeat originals i was working on for VP, like versions of warlords, pacman and crazy climber (the arcade games), a translucent / blueprint-style pin, and a couple other projects. but after VPM really took off, you basically had to make the year's best original in order for people to notice. i think the only two games i ever finished, more or less, were billiards engine and a pin version of atari's pong with proginoskes.

I found this (here at http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33526) :

"Well, it's a sad day that I have to announce this but now it's unavoidable.

I no longer have the time to devote to the site and the php version that the site runs on is going to be removed from the hosting company's servers very soon. I believe the End Of Life date is January 19th, I've previously tested upgraded versions of the php and everything breaks, we were also forced to upgrade the php back in October of 2014 and the only reason it's been running since then is because php error reports were turned off back then.

I think February would have marked the 13th year of me being involved with the site and it's been a labor of love but everything must end sooner or later. For those wondering about IRPinball which is also hosted by me, the hosting was paid up for 2 years (for PN and IRP) last year, so it will continue to run until the hosting expires in January 2017.

My sincere Thanks to everyone that made the site successful!
Jon"

Maybe he's still here? I hope so. Also....Is this still true? ^^

AH Duglis, great to see your sniggering avatar again, as far as Nirvana goes our Host JPH or Jon or Purple Haze as that case maybe has given this site another update since then, so it lives for now, no idea as to how long it may last, though got to say thank you..Jon!

AH Duglis, great to see your sniggering avatar again, as far as Nirvana goes our Host JPH or Jon or Purple Haze as that case maybe has given this site another update since then, so it lives for now, no idea as to how long it may last, though got to say thank you..Jon!

Yes, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi Steve!

Excellent! Good news! Hi Steve! :)

A bunch of us got together and forced JPH to continue going. I threaten to break his legs, others various parts of his body if he ever thought of closing down. :)

Good for a while, no worries, though donations to him to help cover the cost would be worthwhile.

Yeah, check out BAM. It has it's own board at gopinball.com. Cab support, also seems to be something for Pinball Arcade as well. Quite some program.

I hope this doesn't constitute an invasion of privacy or anything.....

Is tiltjp still around?

Haven't seen John in a while, think he was doing okay when I last talked to him.

Unfortunately, it does seem that tiltjlp may be at that big flipperless arcade in the sky... no one's been able to reach him for the last couple of years, but not for lack of trying.

john's health was pretty bad 10 years ago. even just using the keyboard had become a pain for him as i recall. if he's still around, it's possible he's simply not participating in forum chat anymore.
On May 15, 2014 he opened a thread at Pipe Chat that garnered fifteen replies in the first week, then four in October 2015, and one on May 6th of this year. He definitely had plans to use a keyboard, but never acknowledged any of the replies.....:verysad:

http://pipechat.one/forum/index.php?topic=7488.0

I hope this doesn't constitute an invasion of privacy or anything.....

On May 15, 2014 he opened a thread at Pipe Chat that garnered fifteen replies in the first week, then four in October 2015, and one on May 6th of this year. He definitely had plans to use a keyboard, but never acknowledged any of the replies.....:verysad:

http://pipechat.one/forum/index.php?topic=7488.0
yeap... and pipe tobacco was pretty much his last guilty pleasure, according to him.

Sasha Frasha Rasha Rick Rasterdly!!Grrrrrr

Sad to hear about Tiltjp. Didn't know he was in his 70s. He was a good friend for many years.

Does anyone know his real name? Perhaps looking up ancestry or google or obit sites will give us final word. ��

Is Druadic still around? He may know.

John L Patton. Not sure if his email still works or not

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back