Invader Fall II - The Revenge of the Invaders (Original) VP9

VP9 Original Table Recreation Video Games Invader Fall II - The Revenge of the Invaders (Original) VP9 v1.1

No permission to download

TheHermit

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Invader Fall II - The Revenge of the Invaders

You thought you had them beat.
You thought they had given up.
You are wrong. So very wrong...

The Invaders are back, once again falling down towards you. Use your pinball to stop the invasion, but beware, just when you think they are retreating they bring reinforcements. Including jumping straight from their UFOs. You must fight on, and throw everything you have into beating their leaders.

Do not let them win.

You are our only hope.

Play instructions:
Use the flippers, and however much nudging you like, to guide your balls. As long as your base is behind a building you are safe and any lost balls will be returned. However, if an invader reaches the bottom and turns red, they destroy that building and a lost ball will result in a lost life. Keep the bottom row clear as much as possible. If you hit a UFO the bottom row is cleared.
After the first wave, all but the bottom row will retreat to the top of the screen. The second wave increases the number of invaders that can appear each time. At the end of the second wave, you must clear all the invaders, but beware of UFOs dropping off reinforcements.
Once the Boss appears multiball is launched, one ball for each life you have. Lose a ball and that life is lost. Break your way through the shields to destroy it.
You get an extra life at the end of each wave, when you clear the last invader, and for beating the Boss.

If you prefer a more video game style view like below, check Table Info before running.Invader Fall II (Arcade view).jpg

Last edited:
Lots of fun! Have yet to beat the boss, but had fun trying. Thank you for the updated release!

Tried applying the raster image to everything I could - looks pretty cool but isn't consistent about whether the color will apply to the image or not. After saving, doesn't apply color to anything :(
Dunno if it's a VP9 thing, I don't use it's editor normally :p

Attachments

• Inv Fall Rasterized.png
    Inv Fall Rasterized.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
I had the same problem trying to "rasterise" them too. Hence why I left it off. Earlier when I was wrapping up debugging everything I was beating the first Boss every time and often passing the second but only getting half way to the third. Yet since posting I've only beaten the first boss a few times and died shortly afterwards. So don't give up! ;)

Most excellent, Jay.

I've moved it from an attachment to a proper resource (basically our downloads system here), which will always help a project get noticed. Feel free to edit anything you like of course in the resource entry.

Tried out the table a couple times, and... wow, I got spanked hard each time. This does seem harder and more intense than the first one!

I might have to cheat a little to see what the bonus / boss waves look like. We need a screenie of that in the resource entry, altho of course feel free to insert one. Edit: done.

Okay, back to getting my rump polished... :s

Last edited:
I had the same problem trying to "rasterise" them too. Hence why I left it off. Earlier when I was wrapping up debugging everything I was beating the first Boss every time and often passing the second but only getting half way to the third. Yet since posting I've only beaten the first boss a few times and died shortly afterwards. So don't give up! ;)
If I get some time, I'll try adding some colored raster images to use.

And I finally beat the boss...then lost in the next stage :D

So, how do I post an update? The attachment option won't except .vpt or .zip!

So, how do I post an update? The attachment option won't except .vpt or .zip!
When you post an update, choose the "upload a new version" check box, and a field will become available for you to add the ZIP.

Updates aren't intended to be uploaded as attachments. That would be for screenies and stuff.

You should also see a helpful note at the top of the screen when you start the update.

Ahhhh! :bonk:

Well, I've just discovered an annoying bug if you beat the boss and lose a ball at the same time that breaks the game that is proving hard to replicate. But the bug at the start of the Boss where if you lose a ball before all you should have on-screen has appeared then one wasn't appearing, has been fixed.
I'll update when I've squished both... 8-)

This is fast approaching 1 of my favorite tables, thanks so much @TheHermit

First feedback run...

KHANS!

- Even stage one is pretty damn grueling. Exhausting, even. Now if that's the point, then okay. But seriously-- the present iteration kinda reminds me a Centipede level, i.e. if you're not super-efficient on movement & FIRE, then the level just never ends, and you quickly become swarmed, overwhelmed.

- Yet that's not really the spirit of Space Invaders based on any of the many versions I've played. The basic idea to me is moreso that the first wave is menacing, but kinda easy, but it's still kinda tense. Then the next level hits, and it's a bit harder, and a more tense. Like, the game sort of lulls you that way but also pulls you in little by little, all while playing Spielberg's classic "Jaws" theme.

- In any case, the basic SI model involves a gunfighter against a speeding menace(s) at the end of every level. I.e., you're down to your last couple moments to shoot at just the moment, otherwise you lose your life. Version two sort of eschews that (like version one), but I'm pretty sure any SI fan would still love to see that dynamic. (maybe in version three?)

PROS:

- The Star Castle-inspired boss level is absolutely genius.

- The way the motherships drop extra invaders is unbelievably cool, reminiscent of... Missile Command and some other classics? Anyway, it's just ridiculously clever and inspired IMO.

IDEAS:

- Still kinda distracted with my own game over here, but what think about the shield / base becoming gradually torn-up based on the number of red invaders? Perhaps a three-part process?

- I.e. you don't lose a ball until the base is fully destroyed. Yet it only takes three red invaders to knock the base down that far. Something like that, yeah?

Me, I want to come up with three different pixel-ravaged base images for you to look at, plus a POC demo. Eh, hopefully I'm saying all this just as you're departing upon a week-long French Riviera holiday, Jay...?

Well it is the "Revenge of the Invaders" lol

Main difference between wave 1 of Invader Fall I & II is the table slope is steeper by 1. The only other thing is that if you miss a UFO now is doesn't drop a full line of invaders making it easier. Now too me the first wave is far too easy, and I often have only a few Red Invaders on the bottom when the retreat is triggered or a completely clear screen. I will admit I have played it more than anyone though :lol:

Remember: While it may look and sound like SI, it's not SI. Hence the different movement and behaviour.
The name and basic movement are from an old VIC-20 game.

A gradually destroying base? Hmm. Easy to do, but I also think it would make it too easy to win. Especially if the amount of damage directly matched the number of Red Invaders as it would rebuild when less than three. Now if it took damage for each that turned Red, and took at least 10 to be destroyed and wasn't replaced until the next wave... :devil5:

I'm glad you like the new parts. As for will there be a Invader Fall III? Who knows! ;)

Oh, and my next holiday is at the end of May next year, in the UK 8-)

Red and green versions made by tinting the white and grey of the original. Also darkened the sides of the invaders to fit better, as suggested in the previous thread. Simple, but I like it!
Inv Fall Rasterized 2.png
and yes, I cheated with long flippers to get to the boss quickly for a screenshot ;)

Attachments

• RasterLinesGreen.png
    RasterLinesGreen.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 55
  • RasterLinesRed.png
    RasterLinesRed.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 54
I thought of doing that but I don't like how dark it makes everything compared to the bezel surround

I thought of doing that but I don't like how dark it makes everything compared to the bezel surround
Fair. I just latched on to the images you shared; I like the dark, washed-out look of an old handheld screen. Or maybe a crappy hologram, since it's 3d. Thinking about doing the ball image to match, but that's not as easy as tinting a square lol

It would work if I darkened everything else, but I really don't want the whole thing looking dim.

I can't think of a suitable way of doing it in VP

@TheHermit,
Oh wow, I thought I'd seen every commercial VIC-20 game ever made! :o (it was indeed my first computer, and I've revisited it a good bit via emulator)

Okay... got it. "Invader Fall." :D

Perhaps then, as a future in-between-level scene, there could be a speeding invader or two starting from the top of the screen, reminiscent of SI (not IF). That way the basic mechanisms of IF movement would remain untouched & authentic.

A gradually destroying base? Hmm. Easy to do, but I also think it would make it too easy to win.

Maybe...as a "hard" setting vs an "easy" setting, then?

I suppose another idea might be in making the shield's destruction time-related. Like-- even a single red invader present could quickly erode it away, perhaps. Although... how then to explain that as soon as all red invaders were destroyed, the shield automatically regenerates? That doesn't make much sense, I fear. Hmm.

Anyway, I'll get back to you on this stuff if I can!

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Isaac Sauvage has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back