Jungle Girl (Original) fpx (Preview Release)

SS Original Table BAM FP Jungle Girl (Original) fpx (Preview Release) rc1

No permission to download
Solid State Machines
Future Pinball

shiva

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Trigon
shiva submitted a new resource:

Jungle Girl fpx (Preview Release) - Welcome to the Jungle

Been a long time since I have done one of these solo.

I love the classic Bally tables. They were the perfect definition of "easy to learn, fun to play, hard to master" as quoted by Harry Williams. When I decided to do this table, I thought about how much I wanted to pay tribute to those great classic games that I wasted so many quarters on in my youth. Jungle Girl is respectively dedicated to the people of Bally, for giving me a respite from the grind of life.

Jungle Girl is based on the...

Read more about this resource...

backglass.jpgFuture Pinball - © 2008 BSP Software Design Solutions 2020-01-31 11_58_54 AM.pngjg_cab.jpg

Last edited:
One of the nicest table I have seen.

Table magnifique !
mais pourquoi le high score n'est pas proposé en fin de partie

Love this table - it "looks" like a real 80s table and plays well, too.

Thank you - looking forward the final release.

hi i cant this table to loadup, would love to play it and one can help?

hi i cant this table to loadup, would love to play it and one can help?
Checked this just now. I downloaded "JungleGirlfpx_rc.zip," and it loaded in to FP v2013. Tried running it, and it crashed & exited. I had VP8 open at the time so maybe that was a factor?

Tried it again in FP v2009, and same result.

Note: I have BAM installed, and am running latest Win10.

Hmm. This might have to wait for Shiva to swing by...

Last edited:
Checked this just now. I downloaded "JungleGirlfpx_rc.zip," and it loaded in to FP 2.5. Tried running it, and it crashed & exited. I had VP8 open at the time so maybe that was a factor?

Tried it again in FP 1.91, and same result.

Note: I have BAM installed, and am running latest Win10.

Hmm. This might have to wait for Shiva to swing by...
Hi are you having this issue to?

Hi are you having this issue to?
Yes, as described above. But while I play around with this some more on my end, here are some steps you can try:

0) I'm not 100% on this, but I would guess you'd want to use the 2013 version of FP. You can check that in the help / about menu. Make sure the FP executable is named "Future Pinball," and if you have the 2009 version as well, be sure to give that a slightly different name, like "Future Pinball (2009)," or whatever.

1) Make sure you have BAM 275 or higher installed. (I think that's BAM v.1.5-275, technically)
http://www.ravarcade.pl/

2) Make sure you have both FP and BAM's "FPloader" set to run as administrator.

3) Start things up by going to the BAM folder and running "FPloader"

4) Once you're in the FP editor, go to "Preferences > Editor Preferences" and uncheck the "Load Image into Editor" box, then hit okay. This will simply create less overhead, i.e. less things that can go wrong.

5) Load Jungle Girl, run her in debug mode (F9 key), and see what happens.

6) If the table crashes, go to the folder where Jungle Girl is stored, open the "fpDebugTextLog" file, and copy-paste the contents here.

Last edited:
Thx, I'm getting SHADOW MAP 1/12 bulbjungle1 and than it crashes

No idea on that particular error.

Anyway, if nothing in the above post helps (I edited it a couple times, so please re-check everything), you might now go in to FP and start turning down video options.

For example, go in to Preferences / Video rendering, and turn on stuff like "use texture compression," and turn off or turn down stuff that looks like it costs more processor / graphic card power. (once you get things working you can always start cranking that stuff back up, little by little)

Since I'm not really an FP guy, all I'd be doing past this point is researching things for you, and I have some other stuff I need to get to. If you're still having problems I'd recommend asking for help from @GeorgeH or @shiva.

Last edited:
This one:

4) Once you're in the FP editor, go to "Preferences > Editor Preferences" and uncheck the "Load Image into Editor" box, then hit okay. This will simply create less overhead, i.e. less things that can go wrong.

I have no idea what settings you are using, or what your computer is like, so pretty hard to answer.

BAM doesn't quite fix the texture error in fp, which doesn't clear the graphics used by the editor, and too much graphics memory will crash fp. The other solution is to export the main pf and plastic image, and resize then to 1024 by 512. I have several problems with other recent tables with this, it may be a BAM bug, though JG works perfectly fine on my i5 intel 620 laptop as well as my game computers.

I'm starting work on a new version, so I will add a switch to turn on and off the shadow maps. If you still have a problem, send me the BAM crash report and a copy of your system info (BAM_CRASH found right in the BAM main folder) and I will send it to Rav to have a look at.

FP is a lot simplier to use than vpx, but you can have problems. GeorgeH has a big help file, it's right here

Sorry you having problems, hope you can get it working.

I had an error like that a little while back and trying to remember what i did to solve it (I'm old and a bit foggy in the head). I know it sounds odd, but I think I recall replacing ZBRrollingballsoundslib.vbs in the scripts directory with a fresh copy.

Last edited:
Thx, I'm getting SHADOW MAP 1/12 bulbjungle1 and than it crashes

The shadow maps can make some lower end systems crash. Try adding the file at the link below to the Texture Manager in the FP editor for the table. Then save and close FP (be sure to do this before playing). Then try playing the table. Note that this file won't be there forever.

If this does not work, the only other option is to delete the shadow maps from the script. Delete this:

Sub BAM_Init()
If BAM_VERSION < 265 then Exit Sub
' Shadow Maps
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbJungle1", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "Bulb115", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbGirl1", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbGirl2", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbHead1", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbHead5", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbTriggerGuide1", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbTriggerGuide4", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbLS1", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "BulbLS2", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "rightslingshotbulb1", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
xBAM.ShadowMap "rightslingshotbulb2", 2000 , 1 , 2, 3, 5, 0, 0
End Sub

Hope everyone's covid19 beard is growing along. I've been quiet because internet access is bad here, but now working again on my pinball projects.

Jungle Girl is progressing slowly but getting there. Some changes include new rules which I am coding right now, more BAM support and better display/lighting etc. The delay is because I have to rewrite a lot of the code to get it ready to fold into fpxEngine and the fpx vault routines so down the road people will be able to use it in their own table designs. Once things stabilize, I hope to release the final version soon, maybe a few surprises added as well.

cant wait to get this working, Looks great

Hi Shiva
great to see you are still developing Jungle Girl and fpx !
I will try to rally the troops to visit here...

I've been very impressed so far. I can't wait to see the final results.

I hate coding.... :) Getting there, but lots of new bugs to kill, and if you change one thing, it sort of makes other things go haywire.

I would say I am spending all my time on it, but the truth is I'm playing solaris too much. :)

Been a month, so better update the thread about the new release. Most of the time has been working out and testing the new shivaDynamicFlippers, and now hammering out any issues I find and try and find the best settings for the new flippers before I add... well... more stuff to the game. This is a copy of my latest version update, though I may have missed a couple things here and there. Pretty significant update, and sorry I am so slow with this but busy times lately.
Code:
' script updated June 2020

' * BAM *
' Now even brighter in dark mode. Make sure New Renderer is set in BAM menu
' added two new playfield lighting modes with custom lens and plastic code per pf lighting
' Shadow Maps can be switched off in script.(Const fpxUseShadowMaps=0)

' * New Additions *
' - Flipper Shadows can be removed from shadowmaps
' - BallBrightness support added.
' - BallReflection,BallShininess,BallSpecular code added
' - Ball Shadows added. 3 settings
' - Ball Trails now supported
' - HUD can be turned on/off with special 2 key

' * shivaDynamicFlippers *
' The latest shivaFlippers has a major new update that now supports dynamic flipper coils. This new system greatly changes the behavior 
of the fp flippers, and is adjustable to suit the players personal preferences
' Specialized code for the following
' - Tip/tap pass for flipper start angle and max angle
' - "loft" shots capable
' - Fake EOS to prevent high speed balls from a flick of a flipper fully up
' - Better tip speed omega, with a forced omega to prevent sluggish FP flippers at low omegas
' - Top right flipper recoded to fpx standards.
' - Flippers have better bounce and aiming

' The new system can be adjusted to suit for the following...
' - Dynamic Angle setting steps (to maxOmega) to simulate (sort of) flippers from various eras. 
EM/small coil/large coil/fast (lightning) coil speeds. The player can adjust the entire system to his personal preference.
' - Minimum Omega for "flick" passes (At Flipper Start and hopefully all Angles)
' - Built in help timer that delays the flipper solenoid to compensate for keyboard use or poorer reactions

' * Physics/ design changes *
' Contact Point Omega readjusted for new system. Tips and base shots adjusted for certain situations like the flick and for more natural shots
' Improved ball flow and gameplay throughout. A bit more bounce, a bit less overall speed. 
Adjusting shivaDynamicFlippers can greatly affect the with it's ability to vary the omega of the flippers can affect the overall play
' Changed out a few objects for better bounce purposes
' Added new shaped physics for smoother shots and help prevent ball hangups. More flow in other words
' TRex lane a lot smoother, and a lot faster. Fixed a trigger/gate issue that happens once out of a hundred times
' Spinner lane opened up, now that spinner really spins and ball speed is faster as well.
' Fixed top gate issue where the ball can pass through the gate to the inline targets from below. 
(Though it actually does happen in the actual arcade games as the PAPA video of Centaur showed)

' * FX *
' New lens and bulb Brightness/glow code added for different lighting modes.
' Multiple new Flasher, Lighting and custom Display routines. New Lightseg routines as well. Really lights up now

' * User Adjustments *
' Skillshot now has a Hard or easy setting. fpxSkillShotHard=0  is easy.  fpxSkillShotHard=1 is hard.
' You can also adjust the amount of delay with the skillshot targets. (fpxSkillshotTimerInterval) in ms, 
a higher value each target stays up longer
' Main Skillshot adjusted to be a tiny bit harder

' * Rules *
' New Random scoring feature at right kicker, that adds or scores multiple JG scoring features like advance bonus,
 lights features like spinners, or awards extra balls etc. There are 20 different features that system chooses from. 
The first version scored the JG value, that has been moved to when the ball is at the plunger when the diverter opens.
' G I R L targets lits escape below bottom right bumper.
' J U N G L E targets made lits Inside lanes
' Jungle Girl Targets advance JG super Bonus and lits Monkey Bonus Target for random timed scoring
' Secret skillshot now lits and scores from plunger shot when JungleGirl Bonus
' JUNGLE GIRL opens plunger lane to score and collect letters and JG super bonus

' * Script, Build and Gameplay *
' Adjusted play balance and script. Plays slower and better bounce, slightly harder play
' New AddScoring routines and tons of new or replacement code. (for next release of fpxEngine)
' Fixed small problem with Target restraining code if fpxNoSuperbounce=1. 
Setting fpxNoSuperbounce=0 now actually turns off the target restraining so it becomes usual annoying FP physics
' Fixed timer issue that was always turned on. Might help the fps a bit...
' Fixed issue with Kicker2 just kicking out ball and not scoring
' New internal debug setting
' addEvent MemoryLoad no longer loads twice at one call (oops)
' Ball Saver timer removed clear display code as sometimes it clears the display messages from AddScoringEvent as well
' Fixed double music issue at drains
' Moved Left Bottom Flasher so you can see JG Head better. Reshaped a couple plastics.
' Transparent plastics now lighter
' Backdrop a bit brighter now. Backdrop brightness will be adjustable by pf table lighting
' About 2 million bug fixes

Can't wait to see what you did with the EOS code and in a great table too!

Thanks to @GeorgeH, @TerryRed, and the sweat of my brow, I've been having a little FP renaissance the past couple days. Mainly, I've been getting better at coaxing my guinea pig-powered computer to run a bunch of FP tables that used to crash, formerly. And, checking just now... Jungle Girl finally works! Woot! :D

@shiva,
First off, this is one of the most beautiful tables I've ever seen (real life or original). Just that. End of line.

So, man-- well DONE, matey. But specifically, the attention to detail from top-to-bottom is just impressive as all git out. Even moreso, it's almost sorta like the game has an intelligent personality working behind the scenes, like all the best video games tend to have, in some form or another.

Alright, that's enough ridiculous gushing.

So, I'm only getting 30fps here, but it's enough to have an enjoyable playing experience. That's likely as much as reasonably possible before I buy more system memory and a real graphics card. All good.

Lastly, I've had a real hard time finding FP & FP-BAM tables with decent flipper physics, but this is probably one of the best counter-examples I've ever seen. Actually, IIRC you came up with some kind of custom solutions & fixes for flipper fixes back in the day, so I guess it's not surprising.

Regardless, I'd say the way the flippers perform is "very refreshing" no matter how you slice it. Color me impressed, that's for sure.

In conclusion, I'm happy that I finally got the game to run, and I don't mind gushing a bit, as it's an absolute dilly of a table. Maybe time to re-feature it in our resources, even.

Last edited:
It is definitely a masterpiece. I looked at the flippers. They are very complex with walls around the flippers where the colidability turns on / off and event coding with timers. Plus he created his own version of dynamic flippers that look like they are specific to this table. I doubt I could ever replicate it.

magnifique il est vrai , mais on ne peux pas enregistrer son score en fin de partie dommage ..

Nic. Try exporting the pf and plastic files and downsizing them a bit. I may have forgotten to do the power of 2 image size as well. That should help a bit. I put a lot of work and time into that game, so it's so nice people really like it so far.
As to the playability, yes, I spent a lot of time trying to get a "character" with gameplay. The truly great SS games had a certain feel to them, and they certainly had a personality especially compared to the modern games where it feels like you are playing to a stop watch.

magnifique il est vrai , mais on ne peux pas enregistrer son score en fin de partie dommage ..
I haven't gotten a high-score yet, Jack, but I'll check in here when I do.

Do you have admin read-write permissions turned on for your general FP folder?

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: HZR has posted a new reply in the thread "Complete list of VB commands".
      Back