Junkyard Cats - BAM Edition (TerryRed update)

TerryRed

Pinball Master
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
My Virtual Pinball Cabinet
Before I dive right back into working on Silent Hill's hospital levels (which is a big amount of work)... I wanted to try something. I always wanted to try updating a classic FP original table to my own modern day standards with all that I know today... and see what I can do with a "quick" 1 or 2 day update. I don't want to change the gameplay... I just want to update the lighting, add shadows, new mesh inserts, update physics and adjust the table as needed, etc.

I already decided to update the original Blue vs Pink table by Brendan Bailey (PinWizKid). You can see that here:

Well, that apparently wasn't enough for me... so I decided to try to do the same for Junkyard Cats... also created by Brendan Bailey (PinWizKid). I've been showing him the progress, and he's loved what I've shown him so far...

Here is the original 2012 table untouched:

Junkyard_Cats_by_Brendan_Bailey_V1.02.png

Here is my BAM Edition update:

- new G.I. lighting (dynamic lighting - x4 hidden flashers in lower and upper plastics)
- added drain flasher for accented lighting
- new BAM post processing
- added shadowmaps to most G.I lights
- added pre-baked shadowmaps (created by BAM) to playfield and plastics textures
- added illuminated look to GI ON plastics texture
- adjusted playfield / plastics / apron, etc texture brightness to better match new lighting
- new 3D model inserts
- new pre-rendered insert textures
- new bump maps for inserts
- disabled glow radius for all inserts
- added sphere maps to the sides of all plastics
- updated GI on/off code
- adjusted GI on/off brightness for all lights / inserts / textures
- added all new FLEEP sounds for all mechanical actions (flippers, bumpers, slings, drain, etc)
- added BAM DF1 physics (updated settings in editor to better work with new physics)
- added invisible ramp blocker to prevent ball from flying off the ramp
- added invisible playield blocker to prevent ball from flying oon top of plastics
- hid slingshot bulbs that interfered with shadowmaps

Additional Contributors:

Schlabber34 - new pre-rendered insert images
FLEEP - new mechanical sounds

Junkyard Cats - Bam Edition 1.1.png

...and with all the new inserts turned on...

Junkyard Cats - Bam Edition 1.12.png

I used BAM to create a shadowmap for the main ambient light and saved it to a transparent TGA. I then added this to the playfield and plastics textures... which looks really nice. Then of course I added shadowmaps to the main G.I. bulbs on the table. I disable Ray Cast Ball shadows for GI flashers, as the bulbs in the slings,etc will cast shadows already.

You can see how nice the bump mapped insert models look.

Junkyard Cats - Bam Edition 1.13.png

Junkyard Cats - Bam Edition middle.png

Junkyard Cats - Bam Edition top.png

This table has some really nice lightshows from the flashers. When you see the table in action with the new lighting and shadows.... it looks fantastic.

Junkyard Cats - Bam Edition flashers.png

I also adjusted the plastics texture to add an "illuminated" look where the GI bulbs are located for when the GI is on. I swap this texture with the normal plastics texture for when the GI is OFF. Then I adjust the brightness of the GI ON texture to match the rest of the table's lighting and post processing.

plastics_gi_on.jpg

All I can say is... wait until you see it in action. The new lighting and shadows and Ray Casting really transforms this table!

I currently have DF1 physics added to the table... with a planned eventual update to DF2 at some point... or maybe a second version of the table with DF2 for those who want to choose.

The plan was the release the updated table, and then do a separate PinEvent update for it after.

I should have a gameplay video showing the before and after soon enough, and maybe the normal table release will follow shortly after.

Cool! I like the shadows on the back ramp but it seems to be a little too bright.

FP can't do light occlusion... so all lighting from the back flasher used for GI (within the plastics) will pass through the ramp and show on the sides. There isn't an actual shadow back there (except on the playfield texture under the ramp)... its just the lack of light from the flasher on the flat part of the ramp. The light itself isn't very bright... its just the rest of the table back there has less light then before.

Another great one! Thanks

Here is a comparison / gameplay demo of the BAM Edition update. The table should be available very soon.

FP can't do light occlusion... so all lighting from the back flasher used for GI (within the plastics) will pass through the ramp and show on the sides. There isn't an actual shadow back there (except on the playfield texture under the ramp)... its just the lack of light from the flasher on the flat part of the ramp. The light itself isn't very bright... its just the rest of the table back there has less light then before.

Why don't you try adding a little black to the color of the ramp? It's an old trick but I think it will work.

Junkyard Cats BAM Edition (PinEvent V2) - work in progress

DOF and PUP SSF are done. Time for some insanely crisp PUP DMD visuals!

I just finished my DOF and MX Leds update for PinEvent V2. This table has some fantastic "original" music and sounds created from scratch by Brendan Bailey. It's all very controlled with lots of fun timed sequences which allowed me to make some cool cabinet lightshows that are matched to the sounds, music, and guitar riffs.

Now I'm starting to work on the PUPDMD and PuP-Pack. Brendan has kindly provided me with his original art assets from 2012 to use. Many of these were originally created in a 7200x7200 resolution! I mean, no one was really thinking about 4K for a cabinet (or much else) back then.
These assets allows for a new 4K playfield update to a lot of the game's art. You can see how the cats look much crisper on the left (they were drawn in 7K) whereas some background stuff is still in 2K.

This also allows me to use these assets with PUP DMD with extreme clarity for animations, zoom, etc. This PUP update shouldn't take as long as Sonic's to get done. It will be nice to have a slick modern display option for a classic table.

1650710223978.png

1650710238583.png

I do my best to find playfield textures that are 2048x4096 in size. The improvement over 1024x2048 is obvious even on a single monitor PC. I occasionally find playfield textures that are larger than 2048x4096. When that happens, I always include a copy of the largest texture I have in the download so the end user can manually add it to the table if their PC can handle it.

Junkyard Cats - BAM Edition (Future Pinball - BAM)

PinEvent V2 Update Preview!

I'm almost done my PinEvent V2 update for my BAM Edition update to Brendan Bailey's classic "original" Future Pinball table.

Brendan made "everything" on this table himself (sounds, music, art, etc). The excellent sequenced music and voice over events allowed me to add fun animated DOF lighting / PUP videos / animated text, all timed to work together.

If you like what I did with BM66's DOF, you'll love this.

I also updated the table with some fixes, and new 4K textures for the playfield, backglass, etc.

If you like Williams System 11 style tables, you'll love this game!

Coming VERY soon.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: MMITG is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back