Upgrade/Project Support File Tutorial Help Let the great reorganization begin...

shiva

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Trigon
If you have noticed, the last couple days have seen some reorganizing of the Resources sections, thanks to xenonph, as we are moving downloads that were in the wrong categories to their proper ones, as well as adding missing information to those download listings.
I myself have been starting on the forum boards, by adding missing prefixes so they show up better when you do a search of a board, or by clicking Forum Prefix filter selections (right at the top of the threads listings for each board)
Prefixes are special search tools, they are very handy as they "mark" a thread by a specific prefix, so if you were looking for a specific type of thread, like a Tutorial, you can click the tutorial prefix and only those marked with a tutorial prefix will list for that board. Some boards can have a lot of threads, and wading through them all can be a chore, so this is a great shortcut and timesaver.
Try it out, just click on the little colored box...

We are using prefixes in our resource section as well, so you can sort to the prefix you want, like vpx, and a new list will show with all prefixes assigned with "vpx"

As a note, you can add your own prefix to the title of your forum post, this is on the left as a little clickable box. By default, it says (no prefix), but when you click the down arrow, you get a pop down box that lists the available prefixes for that board. The OP of a thread can now add prefixes to his older threads as well.

Thanks for the announcement shiva, I just wanted to mention that the Resources (Downloads) reorganizations have involved thousands of hours over many years due to software changes and other factors. It's been a ongoing battle and since our switch to XF, @Isaac Sauvage and recently @xenonph deserve a lot of credit!

If you think you might be able to help us, kindly send me or a different staff member a Conversation. :cheers:

So I guess as it stands, there's still only one official prefix allowed per resource entry. The new update evidently allows 'faux prefixes' that show up after the first (real one), but you can't click on them to group things together like you can with the 'official' prefix.

Not meant as a complaint though, as it's some nice eye-candy at least.

Anyway, when in doubt, it does seem like tags are still the way to go when you want to group an object in various ways.

So I guess as it stands, there's still only one official prefix allowed per resource entry. The new update evidently allows 'faux prefixes' that show up after the first (real one), but you can't click on them to group things together like you can with the 'official' prefix.

Not meant as a complaint though, as it's some nice eye-candy at least.

Anyway, when in doubt, it does seem like tags are still the way to go when you want to group an object in various ways.
I think Jon was trying to fix the search so it works all the time.

I think Jon was trying to fix the search so it works all the time.
Not exactly sure what you mean, but the secondary prefixes seem to add no actual search capability.

You can still group by leading prefix right now, and that's it. Part of why I recommend tags.

prefixes, search capabilities appart, are very useful and should be used. Visually is a very effective method to get information quickly.

I wanted to try explain the Multi Prefix Purchased Add-On that was installed recently, a different prefix add-on had to be removed first because I wasn't sure if they would conflict with each other, all that it did was display the prefixes that were available in the Forums.

I'm still working on the Multi Prefix program but it's much more than a visual difference, I think right now @xenonph knows more than I do as he's working with them a lot. Currently the Resource prefixes can't be clicked on in the Overview tab, they can be clicked on in the category pages.

Here's a sample of clicking on the Flipperless, Recreation and Electro-Magenetic prefixes in the vp-recreations-flipperless-games category:

Here's another sample of Using the Filters link in the complete Resources category, I filtered by the VPX, Bally and Solid State prefixes:

As you can see Multiple prefixes can be added or removed from searches.
There are all kinds of settings for the software both in the Forums and the Resources.

Major changes are also being accomplished with the Tags system by @xenonph, I've changed some settings recently but he brilliantly has added all kinds of Tags. This might be my favorite, Year and Decades Tags!

A Sample of a "80's" Tag Link search, the table also had a 1984 tag, you can add as many as you wish.

A Sample of a "Bally" Prefix search link

WOW! :drummer:

After things settle down with the new features, we will have more information for you all.

Currently the Resource prefixes can't be clicked on in the Overview tab, they can be clicked on in the category pages.
Okay, so you can't direct-click on secondary prefixes like you can with the primary prefix, but you can do filter searches from the resource section, mixing and matching any prefix however you like. In fact, that's quite awesome!

Not to mention, with the new add-on, suddenly it makes sense having so many different resource prefixes. It went from a problem to a feature, for me. Way to go, Jon! :D

Also yeah, Charles (Xenon) has really taken my 'great resource entry overhaul' project and kicked it up a notch or two by adding more info, like: IPDB entry, secondary prefixes and tags. So, not just that the goal posts are coming within sight after almost a year-and-a-half of work, but now the quality of the entries is that much better. :o

Also, I keep urging Charles not to burn himself out on this stuff, as he's such a hard worker!

Last edited:
Okay, so you can't direct-click on secondary prefixes like you can with the primary prefix, but you can do filter searches from the resource section, mixing and matching any prefix however you like. In fact, that's quite awesome!
This is sort of complicated but you can currently click on multiple prefixes if you are inside a category, this doesn't work yet if you are on the main Resources page, hope to get this researched and there are settings that might help with this.

Here's a sample of this working:

Here's a sample of clicking on the Flipperless, Recreation and Electro-Magenetic prefixes in the vp-recreations-flipperless-games category:

This is sort of complicated but you can currently click on multiple prefixes if you are inside a category, this doesn't work yet if you are on the main Resources page...
Hmm. Filter-searches seem to work for me just fine from the main resources page. Examples:

https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/resources/?prefix_id[0]=23&prefix_id[1]=1&prefix_id[2]=14
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/resources/?prefix_id[0]=24&prefix_id[1]=6&prefix_id[2]=20

Also, the second link you shared in post #9 is from the main resources page, no?

Also, the second link you shared in post #9 is from the main resources page, no?

Yeah, the second link I had was a filters search from the Resources page, these searches work everywhere. I was responding to direct-click on secondary prefixes, this works when viewing a category but not on the main page. :-)

Yeah, the second link I had was a filters search from the Resources page, these searches work everywhere. I was responding to direct-click on secondary prefixes, this works when viewing a category but not on the main page. :-)
Ah, okay. Right you are.

Would be nice if the add-on was consistent everywhere, but this is still a big leap forward. And indeed, slightly tricky. :s

I thought I would let everyone know that the reorganization is still continuing. Once everything is done, this site will have some of the best search capability I have ever seen. Much of the credit goes to Xenonph who has come up with some new ideas on tags to add. One of the coolest is the search you can do for genres of table recreations. Though not finished yet, you can search for recreated tables built in the 30's 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's. You can search for each year built also but I think you might use genres more. Plus you can search for the name of the manufacturer. Just click on the link and give it a try:

To open this search screen, click on "Search" in the upper right corner of the screen. Then, click on "Advanced". There is a search bar near the top of the page with an arrow key that looks like ">" that you have to click and then click on "Search tags" to get the the screen that I linked above. Tags with the larger and bolded text are tags used the most.

/

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back