Life as a real world Moderator

Rick2007

Pinball Wizard
Solutions
Reaction score
I want to talk about being a "Moderator" in real life.

I worked for over 6 years as a Manufacturing Superintendent at
a Window Manufacturing Plant in Wisconsin. The shop was controlled
by a big Union presence. I had to enforce all of the disciplinary rules
that had been hammered out between the Company and the Union.
This was serious business,,, If I did not follow the rules regarding
eventual employee termination I could be served with a Union Grievance.
I had to enforce the Company line and also walk a fine line and also try to
encourage a spirit of "Company vs Union,,,, We are really all One together."
At first the Union Stewards tried to intimidate me,,, I was told that I could
not do any sort of work,,,/ help that a Union member could do.

I guess that was their downfall. I don't like someone telling me what to do,
So I allowed a mid morning and mid afternoon 10 minute break to stretch
to 12 minutes. Then after everyone thought that 12 minutes was the
norm,I announced that "YOUR UNION OFFICIALS" have told me that I have not been following the Union rules. Your Union Stewards ordered me to
follow the"RULES" I told everyone that the break time was going back to
10 minutes on the orders of your Union Reps. Everyone was Pissed.
After that day I suddenly had the upper hand and we never had an issue
between me and the Union for the next 4 or 5 years.

I always try to be nice, but sometimes being the biggest PR*CK works!.

Rick

And the point of all this is?... :2confused: (In other words, how exactly is this relevant to PN, VP and/or pinball in general?... :confused2:)

interesting story, rick, and it sounds like a tricky position. got any more? :)

myself, i have a 'customer service' personality... so i pretty-much used that approach whenever i was in charge of other people in RL. for some reason i was able to attract more women than ever when i was in charge of something, so i kind of miss those days. :s

When you are willing to give twice the effort, and the customers would accept half the effort, you have a perfect business relationship. Just like when you would accept half the price and the customers would pay twice the price you have a perfect deal. These things are rare in the real world, and the whole world is real. Administrating an online forum is real. Most things, when being compared to the real world or real life, is only a cop out.

You should join the staff at VPF, Rick. They should be happy to have you. Many old staffers I think would make good administrators these days, like nicolas.b and The Loafer.

Me, I would want to be president, and I would have one administrator, and up to 6 moderators under me. Now that's a perfect world.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    that decade was huge for them!
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    Do you know Fleet Foxes?
    never forget 'em after this tune
    (AI prompt) describe the band Fleet Foxes
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, Fleet Foxes are an American indie folk band formed in Seattle, Washington in 2006. The band is known for their lush harmonies, intricate arrangements, and poetic lyrics. Their music draws on a wide range of influences, including folk, rock, and baroque pop.

The band's sound is characterized by intricate vocal harmonies, acoustic guitars, and a variety of other instruments such as mandolin, piano, and various percussion. Their lyrics often explore themes of nature, spirituality, and the passage of time.

Fleet Foxes gained critical acclaim with their self-titled debut album in 2008, which was followed by the equally well-received albums "Helplessness Blues" in 2011 and "Crack-Up" in 2017. The band has developed a dedicated fanbase and continues to be praised for their unique sound and songwriting abilities.
    (AI prompt) Helplessness Blues lyrics by Fleet Foxes
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, I was raised up believing I was somehow unique
    Like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see
    And
    ai coulda summed it up: — superb 3rd-wave folkrock :headphones:
    yeah wow, that Fleet Foxes tune is a trip?
    gangly guitars
    Liked it, nice shows!
    Have to learn to listen afterwards..
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    JonPurpleHaze rolls 2d6 and gets 10.
    thanks! well, next thing i'm looking for is songs about nursery rhymes
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    (AI prompt) adult nursery rhymes songs
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, 1. "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" - updated for adults with humorous lyrics about farm life and animal sounds.

2. "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" - a more mature version with deeper meaning and reflection on the beauty of the night sky.

3. "The Wheels on the Bus" - a fun and funky remix for adults, with a catchy beat and new verses about the daily commute.

4. "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" - a revamped version with lyrics about navigating the ups and downs of adult life.

5. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" - a grown-up twist on the classic nursery rhyme, exploring themes of friendship and loyalty.

6. "Humpty Dumpty" - a modern retelling of the tale of Humpty Dumpty, with a focus on resilience and overcoming obstacles.

7. "Hickory Dickory Dock" - a jazzy rendition of the traditional nursery rhyme, with a swingin' beat and updated lyrics.

haha, but WHO does those songs?
    (AI prompt) bands that do adult nursery rhymes songs
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, 1. The Wiggles - Known for their catchy and playful songs for children, The Wiggles have also released adult versions of nursery rhymes with a humorous twist.

2. Rockabye Baby! - This series of albums feature lullaby renditions of popular rock and pop songs, including nursery rhymes, that are perfect for both children and adults to enjoy.

3. The Nursery Rhymes - A band that specializes in creating modern and edgy versions of classic nursery rhymes, appealing to both kids and adults with their catchy tunes.

4. The Mother Goose Band - Combining elements of rock, folk, and pop music, The Mother Goose Band puts a unique spin on traditional nursery rhymes, making them fun and entertaining for listeners of all ages.

5. The Nursery Rhyme Rebels - This band takes nursery rhymes to a whole new level with their edgy and adult-themed versions, adding a modern twist to these timeless classics.
    Well anywhop, not getting paid this week means i have to tend to a cascade of unpaid bills, better get to it. Good chattin this week, have a beaut of a weekend!
    Free Bally! has left the room.
    Block has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Block has left the room.
      Back