JonPurpleHaze

Site Nudger
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Drop-A-Card
We lost a week due to the upgrade process failing from this vBulletin version to 4.2.3 which was ditched, I copied most posts in text that were made from 1/27 11pm. and this was the old "Attachments" thread.
The attachments are now back!

Please report any bugs that you encounter because a lot of stuff was changed. I also can copy the posts/threads text from the other threads that were lost if you guy's think I should.

Sorry!

Attachments

Printable View

01-30-2016, 04:25 AM
JonPurpleHaze
Attachments

After Wednesday's upgrade I found out that we lost all attachments, some of these were over 10 years old, we lost about 4,500 of them and about 3.35 gigabytes of stuff, it was unavoidable and discovered by reading sleepy's post, it was a problem with the upgrade process from vBulletin.

The only option to try and restore them is to go back to 3.8.9 (Wednesday at 11pm US Eastern Time) and lose everything that has been posted or altered since then and many hours of alterations.
I'm still not sure what to do, it's possible to try and get the attachments by going back in time and then upgrading again, it's a lot of time and might not work.

:shark:

01-30-2016, 08:08 AM
sleepy

Is there a way to Merge the attachments or the attachments index on a test basis without touching the current progress? Or post the PN 3.89 version as a separate webpage under a different folder while mulling the options?
I was wondering about Mirroring the old PN 3.8.1 version for awhile.

01-30-2016, 09:51 AM
sleepy

There may be hope Jon.

I looked up my "For Your Evening Listening Pleasure" thread. I checked the Page Source src link for that attachment. I also checked the Attachment that I posted in the Software subforum/ http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums...amming-in-Java thread. Last post. This is what I found.

Looking at the Page Source for the "Listening Pleasure" thread (converted from vB 3.8.9) I see src that contain Escape Characters and PHP switches that are not found in the Attachment link that works. I tried posting the src here using code tags, but that src with the extra code will not display.
The attachment id is 6509

Looking at the src for the Attachment that I posted after Wednesday's vB 4 upgrade:

Code:
attachment.php?attachmentid=6796&d=1453999224
And this is the working link for the current Attachment when PHP combines the src with the base href: http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6796&d=1453999224

01-30-2016, 10:21 AM
sleepy

The old converted src from pre-vB 4 that I was unable to post includes this switch: stc=1

01-30-2016, 05:50 PM
ruby651

Frankly, Jon, it's a bit of a loss, but probably not worth that much trouble to reconstruct it. Hey, the site's still here and that's what's important! We'll have a chance to make all-new posts with all-new attachments!

01-30-2016, 08:42 PM
JonPurpleHaze

Thanks for looking into that sleepy unfortunately, the attachments are no longer in the database so even if I restored the physical attachment folders they still wouldn't work. It's been confirmed by vBulletin (by the way, they have been here for the last 2 days) that it's a bug in the upgrade process from 3.8.9 to 4.2.3 that only seems to affect boards with very old attachments and the reason is unknown. The only way to get them back is to go back in time to 3.8.9, the upgrade with all attachments would have worked if I only upgraded to 4.2.2 and then run a mysql query and then upgraded to 4.2.3 but this information isn't easy to find and was apparently fixed in a 4.2.4 BETA release.

I probably should have upgraded on a test location first but that's a lot of work and there were no problems with the previous upgrade.
Quote:
Is there a way to Merge the attachments or the attachments index on a test basis without touching the current progress? Or post the PN 3.89 version as a separate webpage under a different folder while mulling the options?
I was wondering about Mirroring the old PN 3.8.1 version for awhile.
Not really possible, I currently have the 3.8.9 last database active in a different db, there is no way to merge them, they are very different. The problem is that when you change anything in 3.8.9, that won't affect 4.2.3 or vice versa as they have to be different databases. It also would be a chore to get the 3.8.9 database to point to a different url where the old files might reside, ie: "forums" to "389forums" or something.

Quote:
Frankly, Jon, it's a bit of a loss, but probably not worth that much trouble to reconstruct it. Hey, the site's still here and that's what's important! We'll have a chance to make all-new posts with all-new attachments!
I'm actually beginning to lean in that direction after being very pissed off....

01-30-2016, 10:23 PM
sleepy

Is there a single folder for the attachments database?
Is there an Export function for the attachments index? For the attachments database?
A Find and Replace edit feature in the Admin Console?

I saw something about a attachments editor template for vB.

01-30-2016, 11:03 PM
sleepy

Just saying.

Quote:
thanks for the direction to resolve my issue. I compared filedata tables with my backup from a week ago. There's a big difference, so i restored my filedata.sql and everything is back. still have some cleaning up to do.But it's back. As i said all this happened with upgrade to 4.2.3. squidsk mentioned the issue and i will monitor it.
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=319394

01-31-2016, 12:16 AM
sleepy

This applies to vB 4 and 5.

Huge filedata - table but attachments are stored in file system

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...in-file-system

01-31-2016, 01:33 AM
JonPurpleHaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Is there a single folder for the attachments database?
Is there an Export function for the attachments index? For the attachments database?
A Find and Replace edit feature in the Admin Console?

I saw something about a attachments editor template for vB.
Sorry sleepy none of that will work, the attachments were stored in the file system but they don't appear as images or files per se, you can't export them as actual files like sample.jpg or whatever, I do have a backup of the attachments folder but it's pretty worthless right now. I previously read both of the thread links you posted but they won't help us. The filedata table was introduced in vb 4.2.2 and that's where the trouble started, we didn't have that table in 3.8.9!

Here are some links that were helpful for me in researching this problem:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=320559

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-after-upgrade
(posts #5, 8 and 14)

I guess this bug is pretty rare and I had to tell the vBulletin support tech what the actual problem was.
:(

edit: forgot to mention that our current filedata table only contains info about attachments that were uploaded since the upgrade.

01-31-2016, 01:52 AM
Ike Savage

a-TEZ-ments??

we dun need no flarffin a-tez-ments, sane?

i.e. when you work your ass off upon a matter, it's on the users fo beta o fo be worst!

01-31-2016, 03:23 AM
sleepy

I know this sounds redundant, but could the backup be used to try converting the database to the file system in sync with the storage and post tables? Is the converter in this article still available?
EDIT: I understand about the missing refcount=1 column issue. I don't understand why VBulletin has no patch for that issue. Like they could at least convert the database correctly for customers in transition to 4+.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...rage_db_to_fs1

01-31-2016, 04:01 AM
JonPurpleHaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
I know this sounds redundant, but could the backup be used to try converting the database to the file system in sync with the storage and post tables? Is the converter in this article still available?
EDIT: I understand about the missing refcount=1 column issue. I don't understand why VBulletin has no patch for that issue. Like they could at least convert the database correctly for customers in transition to 4+.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...rage_db_to_fs1
Yes, that is a part of all of the vBulletin's that I've had, it's in this one and the old ones. We have had our attachment storage type as the file system for a long time. It's better because a db can grow huge if the storage type is the db. One of the upgrade suggestions is that you change your storage type to the file system if you had it set to the db prior to an upgrade. It likely wouldn't have changed our outcome though, we were in the file system. I know it sucks but the only way to get the attachments back is to go back in time to (Wednesday) 3.8.9 and try to upgrade in stages like in the last link I posted and run the mysql query, and that might not even work, of coarse everything that has been posted since Wednesday and hours and hours of alterations would be lost.

:shaking:

02-03-2016, 06:57 PM
JonPurpleHaze

I've changed my mind many times about the missing attachments but I've decided they are just too important to keep going forward with this installation of vb 4.2.3., I was working on a test site with a backup of vb 3.8.9 files (took about 32 hours just to upload) and a database backup restore and there are 4,561 missing attachments (3.38 gb) going back to June of 2003.

This means that we will lose a week of new posts, threads, attachments and alterations and be basically going back in time to last Wednesday (11pm Eastern, US) when I closed the forums and started the upgrade process. I'm very sorry about this but it's due to an upgrade bug in vBulletin. I think I could upgrade to 4.2.3 again by following special and almost hidden upgrade steps but after receiving input by other vBulletin users, I think it's best to stay at 3.8.9. There are some features that I like with this version but a lot of stuff that I don't like, both the Arcade and Downloads were updated to vb4 versions and I think they were actually downgrades. If there are posts that you made and want to save, all I can suggest is to copy, save and then paste them into the 3.8.3 version when it's open, I can't find an alternative process due to the massive template and database changes.

This information might change and will take me a day or two to get 3.8.9 ready, I've just started getting the old forums back and it's pretty complex with the separate databases, cookies, etc.

Sorry!

>(

02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
ruby651

Well, I suppose, Jon. It'll be nice to have the wood paneling back. I still say that, if I've ever learned anything from Hollywood, it's that they'd never lie to me through song, and that burning bridges is a completely acceptable alternative...

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6JhBsP1pjbc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

02-04-2016, 06:04 AM
sleepy

Can the vB 4.2.3 posts be exported to RSS files and then imported in vB 3.8.9 as posts? Like the Rock-Ola Newsfeeds?

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=235766

02-04-2016, 09:27 AM
sleepy

HTML to XML / XML to HTML

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/tiptidy.html

02-04-2016, 11:10 AM
sleepy

When you Move an entire Thread, it doesn't move the formatting, does it? It only moves the posts.
Does the vB Admin Console allow moving threads and posts to a file or files with a 3.8.9-compatible format? XML, CSV, RSS, etc.?

If we have to lose posts, I'd rather lose the last week's worth.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't delete any threads. The combo imports are good enough.

<center>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
</center>

I feel for you Jon. Thank you.

:yourock: Very good to see all those attachments right back where they belong. I always tried to add downloadable Mp3's, most ripped from my CD's, when music is the topic...C_S :salut:

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back