Monopoly WIP

Great progress Dude. Should be fun to see how the board game translates to the confines of a pin game.

John

Pacdude said:
...which is an object, not a value...

Correct, use the keyword "set" for assignments of objects:

Code:
set LNum = Led(x)(y)
LNum.state = 1

Ah, so that's what was missing. ;) Thanks for the clarification, TomB. :)

Still making various adjustments and little detail improvements with what little spare time I have after work....

(Notice here apron and level bubble lighting changes and cleanup, ramp clarity adjustments and return lane screws added) .

I think Kristian can attest to the gameplay being reasonably decent already....

Of course, silver rails are also included if you'd rather have the "Platinum Edition" of Monopoly instead....

Attachments

• preview_0.88p.jpg
    preview_0.88p.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 780
  • preview_0.88.jpg
    preview_0.88.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 758
Whoa - looks fabulous. I've never played the real thing so I'm really looking forward to this.

DS

I can confirm that it's nice. Played it excessively the whole day.

Great, great table. Gave Future Pinball a shot today as well. Nice but I switched back to VP
after 10 minutes. :) Emulation is always emulation and these VPM tables are real pieces
of art.

Wow. That looks really nice! Have you confirmed a release date yet?

An absolute work of art. Hope it plays as great as it looks. So you got lucky one more time Dude. :p

John

It's almost done, but I want to try some flasher things out, add in moving trigger gates and actually play some full length games to tweak things a little bit more.

I've also asked TomB if he could make a test VPM for me using a correction in the mech sim since Destruk wouldn't do it (preferring to insult me instead) to see if it can't be made more stable in selecting its speed (pretty simple change that should correct the problem, IMO as its currently cycling through 5 speed settings when it should only be 3 settings from what Koz has said and that could create and offset issue which would explain why it starts out at speed 1 or 2 sometimes instead of speed 0 like it should).

Yes I prefer to insult you instead PD, whichever way makes you feel better inside - I presented your options, you still prefer to say that all solutions are wrong and can't understand how it works. You then told me to just change it back the way it was, so I did that for you, and you're still not happy with that solution either, so I don't care anymore - maybe you can understand that point.

No, you presented YOUR options. I never asked you to reduce the overall resolution from 5000 internal points to 360 or to drop the possible speed outputs to just two values (0 & 1). You admitted the <4 setting was wrong for Monopoly and then told me the next day it was right again (being used for acceleration or something which just isn't true if you watch the flipper behavior). I simply tried to convey how the flipper was acting using getmech(0) position and getmech(1) speed. I never felt like you even knew what I was talking about.

In any case, I asked if you would send me a test version with only one change from the 1.52 version (changing <4 to <2 in the speed limiting section) so it could only rotate between 3 values (0-2) so I could see how it behaved with those parameters and you then said instead you were sorry you couldn't get it to behave the way I wanted it to (how hard was it to change one value and send the resulting EXE to me?) and that I still couldn't understand how it actually worked (i.e. I'm dumb).

I'm hoping to try and get exacting behavior here, not "good enough" type results. I don't see how you can properly test a mech without an actual table to try it on. I offered to send you a copy of the basic table to see my setup, but you showed no interest, insisting the mech was correct regardless whether it outputs 5 speeds or 2 speeds, which is a very strange thing to try and understand when it should only output 3, not 5 or 2 (which is easily monitored by outputing the value of getmech(1) to a textbox display so don't tell me that modified version you sent was outputing all three when it only showed a value of 0 or 1).

The worst part, though is utter lack of civility on this issue. I'm just trying to get a table to behave properly and instead of working together to try and fix some instabilities in the mech's behaviors you seemed to prefer to lecture me on how dumb I am for not seeing it's perfect already (when it's visibly not; if you've ever played the real thing you know it doesn't waiver between speeds or start the game out on the medium speed setting like its apt to do here sometimes). Now if you don't watch closely what speed it's operating at a given time, you might not notice or care and think it's accurate already just because it can reverese directions and speed up when it's kicking a ball out of the saucer.

Using position data alone to directly drive a flipper results in very odd and slow behavior for unknown reasons (whereas using the getmech(1) speed data with my own position counter results in proper behavior with the lone question of it choosing the right speed at a given time, which I think would clear up if it only had 3 to pick from instead of 5, which could cause an offset in the value if it pulsed it to the right and then back to the left only part way before turning off the motor and then back on again at something other than the slowest speed) and so I was also curious to see if changing that speed variable limiter had any affect on the getmech(0) position data for the better. Unfortunately, I can't test it one way or the other without a beta with that change in it to see if it's improved any. If it doesn't then yes, I'm stupid. So what's the harm in trying it?

I don't know whatever you sent to me via email as I got slightly upset with your email, and you wanted to fix it yourself, so I put you on the blocked senders list. I'm happier that way. VPM isn't going to write your script for you in this case, as I'm fairly sure you don't want to hear any other of my options, so just do it yourself. It's not that hard really - you want to change the < value, no problem, must I spell it out?

You said yourself you're stupid so my option is something along the lines of

dim position
dim speed

sub updateflipper_timer
speed=controller.getmech(1)
if speed>3 then speed=3
if speed<-3 then speed=-3
position=position+speed
if position>250 then
vpmtimer.pulsesw HOME
position=position-250
else
if position<-250 then
vpmtimer.pulsesw HOME
position=position+250
end if
if speed<3 or speed>3 then updateflipgraphic
end sub

There, you now have a speed range from 0 to 3.

You already know the position/length value can be anything you want it to be, as it only looks for an occasional home switch pulse. and from your testing you know that if you hold the home switch closed it will screw up the flipper movement.

I'm not going to communicate with you anymore PD, it's just too stressful. Gaston said he doesn't want to talk to you about this issue either, so maybe TomB can give it a try to work with 'tough customer #1' until you can be happy and work out a solution to your own problem. I have 5 or 6 separate versions of monopoly, and have made my own tables to test and go over and they work fine with the proper scripting. I have played the real machine a whole lot, and with proper script the flipper speed doesn't waver. I sent you the best dll I could manage over two days of checking, testing, debugging, and rechecking, and you rejected that one, so sorry I won't fix it for you or beg for your broken table. You don't need a beta dll to do any of what you described, the mech is working fine, it gives you data, you can use it to make it work. So yes, at this point I suppose I'm blowing you off. see ya.

I'm glad you showed how you act in public so you look like the pompous SOB you really are.

As USUAL, your code wont' fix anything because it doesn't change the internal VPM speed value and THAT value is what selects how fast the flipper will move. Limiting it to 3 values on the VPM script side won't prevent the getmech(1) operation from returning the wrong speed value. There's any number of ways I can limit speed on the script side, but unless the mech is fixed, it won't help as it will still select the wrong speed (e.g. it may be set to 1 instead of 0 when the flipper is supposed to be at its slowest speed so it will STILL be outputting the wrong speed). I'm amazed you could even suggest something like that would fix an internal value to VPM and still have the nerve to tell me I'm the one that's stupid.

I mean you told me the VBS drop target code can handle in-between hits with BBB and it flat out can't. You obviously never test any of the code your propose and since you don't know what you're talking about, it just flat out doesn't work the way you say it will. You can't stand being told something is wrong if you had anything to do with it so you cut an attitude and stick your fingers in your ears and pretend it doesn't exist and then tell off the person that brought it up.

5 or 6 Monopoly tables, eh? Do you know of this giant underground team of VPM developers making Monopoly for you? You said yourself NO other Monopoly table even uses the mech handler so you're full of shit. You told me your flipper test used a whopping FOUR FRAMES at first and yet you said you used THAT to determine it works perfectly. You call that a good way to gage behavior?

And instead of just making a test DLL for me to try out using the change I'm almost certain will fix the thing, you just insult me and act like a fucking arrogant asshole about it. The fact you suggested I just limit the speeds on the VP end PROVES you have no fucking clue what you're talking about once again. My table is ALREADY limiting the output speeds, but that doesn't keep it from using an incorrect value.

Look Great Dude!!!! Gotta run... the library computer is kicking me offline!

What the name of the table talks of?

However, I intend to play some tournament again. VPOH!!!

@Destruk & PD:

love.jpg

Come on... just cut it out that soap opera already. Oh wait... nevermind... this is the VP Community. Carry on gentlemen... :p

I've added moving hanging triggers to the ramps (see screenshot).

I've also added support for the UK Save Posts. They will only function if you enable them in the operator menu. Once enabled, you can use keyupperleft ('a' by default) and keyupperight ( ' by default) to make the left and right posts go up briefly. Pushing both at the same time raises the center post for a couple of seconds). I used Mr. Monopoly's head for the center save post. I'm not sure what the real game uses there in the center as it would cover up the artwork to insert a regular metal post into the playfield there. The left and right outlanes posts have guide holes on the playfield art I have here so they don't interfere. Basically, that mode is pretty much cheating, IMO as there is no limit to the number of saves you can use, but since the real ones in the UK can use that option, I figure I should have it available for those that want to use it.

Attachments

• preview_0.89.jpg
    preview_0.89.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 954
I could use some tips for making ramps. I'm having a heck of a time making them work right. Pacdude has the wire ramp of Monopoly as though it's hanging in mid air without any support.

You just have to fidget with them. Make them taller, smaller, anything.
That looks splendid PD.

Suffice to say, the front flasher effects are now pretty nifty (the apron on either side lights up with the flasher reel now, which makes the front flashers feel a lot more realistic). The red ones are placed such that it's probably not as feasible there, but they wouldn't be as bright anyway.

I've sent release candidate 1 to Kristian to look at. I've thought about doing a trigger sim for the mini-flipper to simulate pushing the ball as it moves around (beyond the already simulated push out of the saucer and collision hits at any given point on quick bounce), but I seem to be coming down with something so I'm not sure if I'll get to it for awhile. I might leave it for a later revision.

I've cleaned up a few more things, added support posts for the ramps, changed the sling posts to a more clear style, altered lighting a bit more in a few areas, etc. I was going to add a rom selection menu, but it seems the other roms for it in VPM have missing dumps and won't currently work so I didn't bother (you can rename the default rom at the top of the script if you ever get a full set for them and I'll add suport when they're readily available; otherwise it'll just cause a bunch of where are they questions).

Attachments

• monopoly_1-0r.jpg
    monopoly_1-0r.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 878
I can verify that it plays really well... haven't been able to locate a problem from it. Although I never had a chance to play the real machine excessively. Beautiful table... go for it... and release it.

I still don't have a good solution for that spinner wall hanging down. Too bad you can't make the spinner spin from the script; you could just hang it up in the air and put a trigger down and have that transfer to it. I don't have a reel of it moving to use instead or whatever.

I just added an option for a real knocker sound to the game. Enough of that cheesy bleep sound. ;)

I've added some more photo based decals to various things (slings, bank top, etc.) so they look more realistic and get rid of some jaggies. I'm going to play around with the mini-flipper a bit and and see if I can rig something up so it can push the ball.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back