JonPurpleHaze

Site Nudger
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Drop-A-Card
My last purchase of a pc was a refurbished "future proof" Asus and it's barely hanging on, amazingly I've only upgraded the video card and ram over the many years and had to replace the heat sink once, needed to move recently.

After the move, my 13 year old "future proof" Asus PC wouldn't start up but I'm using it right now! Took a long time to diagnose and it only runs now with it turned on it's side with a weight on the heat sink. I purchased a new monitor in anticipation of buying a new pc that supports a Display Port, never knew what these thangs were. I bought this ABS Master Gaming PC due to some reviews at slick deals, loved it but had to return due to the GPU being suspect, booted up in seconds without the Nvidia software being installed, Advanced Battle Stations suggested that I reseat the GPU, noticed it wasn't screwed in properly and fixing that didn't help. Received a full NewEgg refund of 1,400 today, currently on the prowl to replace my pc, visiting BF sites.

Any of you guy's have desktop suggestions? I've had this HP Omen in my new .edu email account cart for a few days ($2,256). Now, perhaps $1993?
I've also been looking at Alienware desktops again, think shiva bought a laptop, I'm reading about overheating, proprietary and upgrade problems with the desktops but sure like the outside look of them, the ABS was impressive inside and outside and I see some people complain about being limited with Alienware due to the cramped space.

Why didn't @shiva buy his own pc? I already think I know the answer, it's not portable but I see the Skytech Shiva being highly rated on several sites. I'm leaning towards this due to some reviews but I could possibly overtake the shivaness of shiva...

I consider my current very old Asus pc to be overall the best purchase I've ever made, it was refurbished and cost $680, now has a 750TI and think it needs a new heat sink and power button.

Would like to hear any suggestions from anyone, have to pull the trigger soon and already bought a replacement that had to be returned, my computer's (Thor) sword used to be steel but is on it's side and hasn't recovered from my move.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the input, decided to order the HP Omen after a failed attempt at the ABS machine. The Sytech Shiva was close but like ABS, NZXT and Origin they are builders of computer parts, hope I get a manual for this thing. The Omen stood out for it's price due it's ram (32), secondary hard drive (2TB) and is liquid cooled. Guess I still can't spill coffee on the 800 W power supply...:coffee:

It also has a lot of room to grow with drive bays and ports available, has a graphics card (nvidia RTX 3080Ti) that are on sale new @newegg for around 1,900, might have something wrong about that, seems sketchy but the new computer cost a total of $2,161.24 after the You saved $479.98 on your order showed up.

I also ordered a 3 year...
JPH;

Are you looking for a desktop or laptop. To be honest my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop and my Dell Precision T7500 have been going strong for years with no issues whatsoever.

The laptop is an I7 with four cores and I paid $89 for it shipped. It runs Linux Mint Ida or the newest version. I use this laptop to go online (as Windows is quite dangerous to do so), play WINDOWS GAMES and even dabble in graphics and listen to some HIGH END music on it.

The T7500 desktop has 12 cores on two 6 core Xeon processors and runs every single game even to this day with 24GB of RAM. The RAM can go up to 192GB and I can even update my processors up to 3.5GHz if I need to (they are currently at 2.33GHz each.) I paid $245 for it shipped.

The T7500 has six hard drives and an MSI 8GB graphic card. The card was $150 shipped but is now worth over $600 not only due to it's rarity but because it outperforms many of the updated cards after it. This machine runs Windows 7 in 64 bit. This is my gaming system and it even runs Windows 10 games without a hitch. I was running the last Deus Ex game at full settings without a hiccup.

Depends on what you're looking for. I stay with the older systems since I have no issues updating them or finding ways to change them internally since they are Dell machines.

My friend bought an Alienware system and he regrets it. What he showed me told me to never get one but some folks are happy for them but expect to pay through the rear end. I personally had an HP system and gave it away since it was so limited for updates. Kind of sad but I've jumped into Dell machines and they are HIGHLY customizable.

Laptops are EXTREMELY LIMITED but desktops are KING. Desktop machines will always WASTE laptops and desktops are ALWAYS customizable.

PS:

Check to see that your CPU is seated properly. Sounds like it's loose if you have to put something on the heat sink to make it work. There are many tutorials on how to do this with specific machines on YT. Find your system, locate the video and see what it would take to remove the CPU then seat it again. It may make things a lot easier for you and save you money and that's always nice.

All you may have to do is push the CPU down gently to seat it back again. Who knows, it may have just pulled up from a seated position and that's all it needs! I would rather SAVE YOU MONEY by making this suggestion and who knows it may work! I NEVER get rid of older technology for many different reasons.

PPS:

Also you can check the connection to the heatsink as well. The worst part about laptops if that if so much as a fart travels through the system it can register a problem and you have to diagnose it. It sucks and even my laptop has pulled this stunt with the fan over the CPU; the system refused to load properly until I had to pull the connection and seat it again. It fixed the problem. Sometimes that's all it takes is to remove the offending item and placing it back again.

Last edited:
id have to agree with @druadic with reference to the CPU, i had a similar problem with over heating , crashing etc...and found it was not enough heat resistant paste between the cpu and the base of the heat sink, added that and no further problems. Id try that 1st as it a cheap way out if it works :-)

I would say it is impossible to future proof a PC. Eventually, you will need to replace the motherboard at some point. If you do that, you may as well buy a new PC.

Although I don't have a laptop, the way I buy a PC is to buy the very best that is available. Then it should last 10 to 15 years with maybe a graphics card upgrade at some point. If you buy something less, you will have a shorter life span. ...But you might try Druadic's fixes to eke out a little more life out of it.

Thanks for the info guys, the problem is with the heat sink and the power button, after the move, things got slightly shifted, I replaced the thermal paste and heat sink about 5 years ago but am ready to move on and already had a 1,300 ABS PC that I had to return.

Dell has had 12% cash back for a few days and it switched to 15 for cyber monday, still looking at the HP Omen mentioned before and this NZXT slick deals thread:

You know what really bothers me? I'm going to be losing disk space, have 2 internal TB in this old thing, might be able to move the old 1tb storage disk but most of these new ssd drives are small, a 1 tb disk is a add-on. I see a lot of folks are buying pre-built PC's just for the video cards which are in short supply, the ABS that I returned had a RTX 3060Ti, sells for around 900.00 at newegg, the PC cost 1,300.00. Many folks are buying these things to get a video card and then selling the leftover parts or moving the card to a different case.

Part of the reason I feel I must move on, in the last few months, I have a different car and a new place to live...:juggle::cool2:

I wouldn't sweat the hard drive too much. You can get an 8 TB internal hard drive (for a PC) on sale for about $150.

I would rather pick the HP over the Dell, dell desktops have been going down hill, and HP omens are okay according to ratings as a desktop.

I can't recommend anything because I buy from a shop that builds them and had success.

Thanks for the input, decided to order the HP Omen after a failed attempt at the ABS machine. The Sytech Shiva was close but like ABS, NZXT and Origin they are builders of computer parts, hope I get a manual for this thing. The Omen stood out for it's price due it's ram (32), secondary hard drive (2TB) and is liquid cooled. Guess I still can't spill coffee on the 800 W power supply...:coffee:

It also has a lot of room to grow with drive bays and ports available, has a graphics card (nvidia RTX 3080Ti) that are on sale new @newegg for around 1,900, might have something wrong about that, seems sketchy but the new computer cost a total of $2,161.24 after the You saved $479.98 on your order showed up.

I also ordered a 3 year protection plan because that's a lot of money to me and it includes accidental damage, my used car that I bought in August cost 5,000 and I don't want to spill coffee on it, think I can on the Omen. The deal was achieved by using a coupon at the hp store via slickdeals and I also used a new .edu email account, think it's only 100.00 higher without one. I also hope that a Capital1 CC cash back of 6% gets applied later, don't really trust them.

Expect delivery to be in a week, shipping tomorrow, wish me luck...:color:

Last edited:
Solution
With a an rtx3080Ti GPU you're set for the rest of you life. Always go bonkers on the best GPU you can get. The rest is cheap to replace if needed.

I hope this works out, I think the pc only cost me a couple hundred as compared to the 3080Ti's price.

I again think I'm a going to rule the world again with this new PC. Here are a couple of other posts of mine from 2005 after having to replace fellow VP enthusiast Marcus's free and shipped to me PC so that I could play VP, one of the best examples of our community that I know about.

It didn't come true in 2005 but I'm trying to focus now, everybody wants to rule the world.. :sumo:

FedEx is messing around with me, am registered and logged in, spent 2 days waiting for deliveries yesterday and today from 9:30 to 3:15, the website mentions "Delivery exception Customer not available or business closed" for yesterday and today. Received a text from them after waiting outside today for the FedEx driver that was never there. Had to call them and they admitted that both delivery attempts didn't happen.

I have no faith in FedEx, spent a lot of time on the phone with them and they kept referring to a promised date of 12/8, that's not mentioned anywhere, must be a contract with HP. Might get lucky tomorrow after calling the shipper...
:titanic:

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Poor Man's Pinball Podcast has posted a new reply in the thread "Poor Man's Pinball Podcast".
      Back