Neptune Holographics pinball games archive

I don't think you understand... If some mega host comes along and puts every table ever made with VP on his site without a forum, just a big download hub of VPM, recreated and original tables, then the Forums will lose alot of potential authors as people don't need to visit us, they just go to the VP 1 Stop and grab the latest tables. Sorry, but I don't want to tell newbies to just go to www.CompleteVPdownloads.com and have fun. I want to send them to Scapino's site one day and Gerhards site the next day and Nicky Special's site the 3rd day and are you beginning to see it from my point of view yet? I maintain a site, but from your logic I should just lobby for a Complete 1 Stop download hub for everything VP and forget trying to spread it around to the local VP forums.

I could just change the title of each table when I update instead of changing the version number :) That's what I did a couple of times and those early versions are the tables I don't want to see all over the place. They are outdated, useless and a waste of time for anyone to download.

It's not my logic bob, it yours, those big shops already exsist, torrents, newsgroups, DC++ hubs and a few ordinary sites like Neptunes. For my part I am active in spreading the VP goodness to as many as possible through whatever means possible, see here for instance...

http://www.petes-emulation.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14

A potential author will always become an author if they want to and will find that forum, no matter how they discovered VP first up.

bob said:
I don't think you understand... If some mega host comes along and puts every table ever made with VP on his site without a forum, just a big download hub of VPM, recreated and original tables, then the Forums will lose alot of potential authors as people don't need to visit us, they just go to the VP 1 Stop and grab the latest tables. Sorry, but I don't want to tell newbies to just go to www.CompleteVPdownloads.com and have fun. I want to send them to Scapino's site one day and Gerhards site the next day and Nicky Special's site the 3rd day and are you beginning to see it from my point of view yet? I maintain a site, but from your logic I should just lobby for a Complete 1 Stop download hub for everything VP and forget trying to spread it around to the local VP forums.

I could just change the title of each table when I update instead of changing the version number :) That's what I did a couple of times and those early versions are the tables I don't want to see all over the place. They are outdated, useless and a waste of time for anyone to download.

I don't think you understand, your tables are already being freely traded on Usenet, bit torrent, Bear share, Lime Wire and any other thing you can't imagine. I'm a huge supporter of your 1st paragraph, nobody has done more to promote VP than me, Visit my VP webring you will find your tables.

Smashed Pinball
http://www.irpinball.org/spiderman.mpg

Attachments

• spideypinball.gif
    spideypinball.gif
    22 KB · Views: 491
I suppose if you have made a table and put it on the 'net there's nothing much you can do about what happens to it later, lots of places will distribute it whether you like it or not.

For me the line gets drawn when someone sells the table on a CD or something. I just reckon that sucks. Someone is making money out of just downloading free tables and burning them on to a CD. If they give them away for free I don't really care.

DS

Once again, I know my tables are all over the web... I know they can be found with a google search.

That doesn't mean I have to agree with it and it doesn't make it morally acceptable and it doesn't mean you're right in posting a link to that site. It just means that this is YOUR site and YOU can do whatever YOU want with it.

what other links should be deleted? vpf, vpo, irp....If every user wanted some links deleted there would be nothing left. FYI, Neptunes site has been linked from here since April.

Yeah, right bob, you're as bad as the owners of Gottlieb, remove them roms. ;)

From the evil 1 =:o

Bob wrote:

"I don't think you understand... If some mega host comes along and puts every table ever made with VP on his site without a forum, just a big download hub of VPM, recreated and original tables, then the Forums will lose alot of potential authors as people don't need to visit us, they just go to the VP 1 Stop and grab the latest tables. "

Hey that's a very important point! The goal of course is in fact 2 make www.neptunepinball.com that 'hub' with all the free games so everybody can find them easily and enjoy them. Each game could maybe include with submission a file explaining about the author and whatever other details U would like included. There could also B a page of forum links or something.

A lot of people are pretty busy and would rather spend their time playing the games rather than looking for them on the net, but for those favorite games yes it's natural 2 want 2 check out the author's site and maybe post on some forums or whatever. Could U guys please create some sort of 'all forums link page' that I can forward people 2 from the Neptune pinball page? U folks can all get together and create a grand list of ALL the places out there 2 get tables n' author info n' blogs n' things. Meanwhile, everybody can submit their file links 2 me via E-Mail so all the files 4 downloading can B uploaded 2 Neptune & held in a single centralized location for everybody's downloading convenience! :D

Sounds like a plan. Let's work together 2 expand the popularity of virtual pinball games. The email 4 game links (and screen shot links) submission is 'hell_hath_the_good_central_heat at yahoo dot com' :twisted:

today pinball, tomorrow maybe all the MAME ROMs! :) www.neptunemame.com - oh yeah

Hellooooo :D

People I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I honestly don't have time 2 track down, sign in, jump through hoops and all whatnot 2 find everybody's tables. I usually just find 1 I like 4 a while and add extra flippers and balls 2 it so it's more speedy (kind of like that old game 'Hyperball' - N E 1 remember???) - then I get bored and find another 2 mess with. One of the things out there that's kind of a drag (I think) are all these sites with 'download limiters' and/or 'click here' - "no, now click here" - then "sift through this bla bla and find the next place 2 click", "OK now spin around three times and click something else" :evil: U know what I mean???

What would really rule is if y'all got together and made a 'links directory' and E-Mailed that 2 me or posted it someplace online and told me where - a simple text file or HTML page that has every link 2 every free pinball game and screen shot, sound pack, game add on, etc. - rather like a 'links database' 4 the files. Then I could just stick that in a site spider program and copy them 2 the neptune location 4 every-1 - quick automated process. :p

If that idea isn't doable, then please everybody please provide exact links to the files and images themselves via my E-Mail address 'hell_hath_the_good_central_heat at yahoo dot com'. The files and images will then B copied 2 the big centralized locatin at Neptune so everybody can access them in easy 'one stop' manner. A quick description on how 2 accomplish this appears at the www.neptunepinball.com page. It's pretty straight forward. Here is an example that I received from a table maker the other day:

"Here you go:
Table:
http://www.scholzroland.de/VPStuff/Inner City Life V2.52.zip
Music pack:
http://www.scholzroland.de/VPStuff/Inner City Life - Music Pack.zip
Optional second music pack:
http://www.scholzroland.de/VPStuff/Inner City Life - Alternative Music Pack.zip
Table screenshot:
http://www.scholzroland.de/VPStuff/images/InnerCityLife.jpg
Thanks,

Roland"

This 'new arrival' was then put in the 'new tables' and 'new screen shots' folders respectively. The idea is 2 centralize all the free stuff out there if possible - 2 make it easy 4 folks 2 find. It's as easy as cake - simple as pie - right as rain and nice as ice :D

This can B looked at as a sort of group achievement. It all means more people will B able 2 more easily find the files they need. I notice U put a link 2 'vporiginals'. It would B great if somebody has a spider/mirror of VP Originals site - let me know - or FTP access. If U R with them, or whatever - who knows. I will also E-Mail them. If they R copied 2 Neptune I can put a link directly 2 their site so people can also C the forums there if they want more details about the games. There have likely been a lot more tables out since the block that's on Neptune right now. :roll: --> :idea: --> :shock: --> 8)

Let me know at [email protected] when you have a complete package of VP tables, so I can make a DVD of them and sell them on eBay.

Thank you

Bob

Well Bob, there R about 1,000 of them up now - do whatcha' want. Look at all the Linux CDs out there 4 example. However, that's not my bag. Making CDs is time consuming and I am busy sellin' stereos n' stuff. Y get CDs when U can DL? I guess 4 folks with just regular dial-up CDs would make sense. Downloading just 1 gig via that takes about 50 hours with a 56k type connection. Then what about 6-80 gigs? 80 gigs - that's what, 4,000 hours? About half a year 24-7! LOL :roll: Little extreme dontcha' think? However, with many DSL n' things (mine at least) it's about 1.5 gigs per hour DL :twisted: Regardless, CDs on Ebay would certainly help those people out who don't have a fast connection! Good idea. Spread the joy of pinball! Woo hoo! :D

But yes please folks get together so we can create a centralized thing. That would B rad. Lemme' know via E-Mail or whatever when a file link list is available - or email me with whatever list U got now.

bob said:
Let me know at [email protected] when you have a complete package of VP tables, so I can make a DVD of them and sell them on eBay.

Thank you

Bob

Cool, will you be doing CDs as well, no DVD here, though aint that gonna take awhile on your dailup connection. :lol:

I'll take some of your dvd's Bob. I don't have time to pull up any website, click a link, and wait forever to download all that.

Welcome, neptuneholographics!

By neptuneholographics:
People I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I honestly don't have time 2 track down, sign in, jump through hoops and all whatnot 2 find everybody's tables.

This is disturbing to me, I spend countless hours keeping Table collections and sites up to date, you should probably just forget the downloads if you don't have time for it. I stopped collecting VP Originals in June because of time, don't count on everyone to keep your site updated for you, it's not going to work....

:lemon:

Jon, we may disagree on some things, but we are still pinheads.... We both like this pinball machine. 8)

Attachments

• table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 454
Is that Future Pinball Bob? Looks like the 'ultimate' machine!

I almost did Mibs, back about the time I was doing Polo. I had shots of both but Mibs was a little bit blurrier and it took me a long time to find a way to make VP not make the horse and rider on Polo even blurrier than it was, you couldn't even see the polo stick. My new version of Spirit of 76 is coming along. I'm quite happy the way it has turned out so far. Can't do this in FP. :)

sp76sm.jpg

Can anyone tell me what is a need? And why do people have that for thousands of tables at the same time? Aren't there enough tables for the rest of the life even if you are still not a teen now? Do people only need tables to delete them right after download? Is there a need to have any table you don't like to play? Is there only a need because you want to make money with tables in different ways?

Better I stop now, countless questions come to mind while writing.

Seems I don't understand today people.

Now I feel old. No, I'm old. 40!

But hey, what's this: :albino: ? I know something like that bunny from elsewhere. :alien:

JonPurpleHaze wrote: "don't count on everyone to keep your site updated for you, it's not going to work...."

I'm providing a centralized space. That is my contribution. Everybody else, please feel free 2 submit any links 2 free pinball game related files U like. U know, games, sound files, screen shots. I will then download, organize, and upload them 2 the centralized location. U know what they say, 'can't' is just 'can' with a 't'? Or do they say that? I don't know what that means N E way :p Just do it - grab the links U know, send 'em 2 me or post 'em - eventually maybe a year from now it will all add up and everything'll B there - and that would B just great!

Also please create a 'master pinball sites list' of some kind - or submit your links in the same manner. That way I can also help 2 create a single centralized point where people can go out 2 the pinball related sites they want - 4 more info. on the games they like, programmers, blogs, etc.

Yogiholzer wrote: "Can anyone tell me what is a need? And why do people have that for thousands of tables at the same time?"

Y does a phone book have a ton of #'s in it??? Y just 1 or a few instead of a zillion different phone books - 1 4 each neighborhood and district and business type??? I guess - centralizing things is better so people can find what they R lookin' 4! :D Ya think??? Hey! Good idea! :)

This sounds just like what I tried to do at VPU. Provide a global search engine to help people find the tables they were looking for. I wrote elaborate tools for automatically updating the database as new tables were added at the various sites, for skimming the data from table descriptions, etc. And I was attacked and called every name in the book for "stealing bandwidth". What I was doing was no different than what a dozen other search engines already do, scour the web for content. You can go to google and do an image search and go straight to any image you want without ever looking at the actual web page. And its ok for google but not for me or you or anyone else who wants to provide the same service. No we need permission from every web master and from every person who ever authored or assisted or supported an author in the creation of a table. So basically I said hell with it and no longer update my search database. If people want to find a table they'll have to hunt through a dozen or more websites for it, or wait for the guys at IRP to steal it off their website and host it without asking. They never seem to require the approval of authors or webmasters when they take other people's content and host it on their site. Their pass is "hey, all the author has to do is request their tables be removed". Well, what if the author doesn't realize their tables have been hijacked? What if they never even heard of IRP? If I go into your garage and "borrow" your tools without asking thats theft. Saying "all you had to do was ask for them back and I would have returned them" is no excuse. How would you have known I took them? It's not the responsibility of the authors or webhosts to go hunting around other sites to see who's stealing their content. It's the responsibility of IRP and anyone who hosts other people's content to ask before taking. Especially when it says right in the readme or at startup not to host this table on your site without permission. But nobody listens of course. And once the table is out in mass distribution there's nothing you can do to pull it back. You might as well let it go. Which I have for several years. Nobody has ever asked me if I wanted my tables hosted at IRP since I left there. I must have signed an agreement whereby every table I ever produce belongs to them. I must have overlooked it in the fine print. So don't expect any cooperation from anyone neptune. You won't find much of that.

Oh, and since I'm on this topic, how is it that its ok to host other people's content without their approval, without asking, without feeling you are even responsible for asking, but if they link back to their own tables that's stealing bandwidth? That's like borrowing your neighbor's tools, then complaining and threatening them with legal action if they ask to borrow them back. Where's the logic in that?!? :roll:

I'll ask the same question I did when this first hsppened Gottz. What's the problem with linking to the page the table is on rather than the table itself. Are you afraid that if someone follows a link to a download page on another site that they won't return to VPU right away? Your way of wanting to do it is very much like going into someone's garage and just taking what you want. Linking to a download page is a lot friendlier approach, IMNSHO.

John

It's not nice 2 misquote people and make up lies about them :(

I think U guys need a hug - whatdaya' say? :D

NOTE: If U R some1 new 2 these boards & wanna' check out some cool ideas, U may want 2 read my posts :) Basically I'm interested in helping people access games easier. Also a centralized 'link sheet' 4 people into chat boards like these (if U R into that) could B added - so send me links if U got em - www.neptunepinball.com. Have fun!

neptuneholographics said:
It's not nice 2 misquote people and make up lies about them :(

I think U guys need a hug - whatdaya' say? :D

NOTE: If U R some1 new 2 these boards & wanna' check out some cool ideas, U may want 2 read my posts :) Basically I'm interested in helping people access games easier. Also a centralized 'link sheet' 4 people into chat boards like these (if U R into that) could B added - so send me links if U got em - www.neptunepinball.com. Have fun!

Rather than a hug, you goof, I think you need a whack up long side your head. I have a few links for you, jerk. If you didn't spend so much time posting here you could maintain your own site better. Besides, at least Gottlieb is part of the VP community, where you're simply an outsider who doesn't have the sense to see that everyone is telling you NO.

www.gosoakyourhead.com
www.nocutesiequeershorthandtyping.com
www.cantyoutakenoforananswer.com
and finally
www.cansomeonemuzzlethisfool.net

John

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back