da_prez

Funken Druck
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
N/A
Jon, Steve, I don't like the way the new posts work here at PN.

if i read or respond to a post, it drops off the new post list and it becomes impossible to find,
without visiting the front page and clicking through there,
but i am getting posts, as new, that are from a month ago.

is it a configuration issue or something in my control panel ?

if it is configuration, i'd be glad to help you with it, if necessary.

Upvote 0
Sorry about the late reply da_prez but i don't really understand your question, if you read a thread it shouldn't be in the new posts link unless there are new posts. This function requires you to be logged in to work properly, i think.

okay check this out.

go to vpf
click "new posts"
read any thread you want
then click "new posts" again
that thread will still be listed ... until your session times out.

okay now try this
go to vpf
click "new posts"
reply to any thread you want
then click "new posts" again
that thread will still be listed ..... until your session times out.

now try either of those here.

the configuration at vp is typical of most forums, that is why it is frustrating here.

Thanks da_prez, i think i know whats happening now, there are some settings for the forum that could be changed to duplicate what you are referring to but folks would have to explain to me why the old system is better...:pirat:

It has to do with how threads are marked read and keep in mind (I'm sure you know about this) that any post that you make can automatically store the thread in your UserCP as a subscribed thread, you can also subscribe to any other thread and view them there. The new settings for new posts seem to be more accurate, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me to have read threads appear in the new posts section until your session expires, but perhaps you can convince a change...:)

Here are some settings and info about them:
Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

Inactivity/Cookie Based
Database (no automatic forum marking)
Database (automatic forum marking) (Currently Activated)

Here is the help info for this setting:
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.
This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.
This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.
This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
Database Read Marking Limit
The amount of time in days to store the thread and forum read times. All threads or forums without posts in this many days will be considered read.
Set at 90

Help info:
Database Read Marking Limit
With "database read marking", the unread markers on threads and forums are persistent across forum sessions. If a user does not read a thread that is marked as unread, then that thread will remain unread every time the user visits the forum.

This setting allows you to force unread markers to switch to "read" after a so many days. This would be the amount of time after which the user probably has no interest in reading that thread and therefore does not need to know that it contains unread posts.

well jon it is your forum and undoubtedly your choice.

i just thought i'd give some feedback.

i am just on so many forums that i have come to like and use the way they operate.

i don't usually subscribe to threads or get emails involving new posts.

but occasionally during a session i want to read a post(s) more than once.

like i read something, then something else, then go back and re-read the first one,
or post a reply in a thread and then want to go back and re-read it ... stuff like that,
but here that is basically impossible as read threads drop immediately from view on new posts list.

however there are 2 pages of threads i didn't read the first time listed.

it is merely an opinion, and since no one else has even brought it to light, i will shut up about it.

Thanks for the info and feedback da_prez, it really doesn't make much difference to me so I have changed the setting to the Inactivity/cookie option. If any other users inquire about it in the future perhaps we can start a poll or something.

Enjoy,
Jon

Thanks Jon! This seems to work better for me also. When I log on, I'm ready to read new posts, so I don't always reply to a post right away, I come back to it later.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: simon.bethke is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back