Bally World Cup Soccer (Bally, 1994) Newbie - Occasional weak flipper after flipper rebuild

Meyer85

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
World Cup Soccer
Let me set the stage. I'll acknowledge being new to this forum and to doing maintenance on my pinball machine. My flipper was weak so I went ahead and rebuilt the flipper with all new parts to include the coil. Since rebuild, the flipper occasionally is weak but other times it is perfectly fine (good power). Since the flipper occasionally gives very good power I'm challenged as to what might be causing the periodic (but repetitive) weakness, In summary - sometimes I get great power and sometimes it is weak. Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

Let me set the stage. I'll acknowledge being new to this forum and to doing maintenance on my pinball machine. My flipper was weak so I went ahead and rebuilt the flipper with all new parts to include the coil. Since rebuild, the flipper occasionally is weak but other times it is perfectly fine (good power). Since the flipper occasionally gives very good power I'm challenged as to what might be causing the periodic (but repetitive) weakness, In summary - sometimes I get great power and sometimes it is weak. Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!
That machine uses the fliptronic II board, usually located under the playfield.
Unplug machine, unplug board and remove.
Test for weak fuse clips.
Inspect solder side of board for solder connection cracks with magnifying glass.
Touch up solder connections that need it.
Reassemble machine and test.

Appreciated. Sounds challenging but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been away so I didn't have the chance to investigate until now. Wanted to share this updated observation - I am noticing now that the left flipper is weak most (if not all) of the time. The right one is perfect - just the left and this is the one I rebuilt. Is it possible that my soldering (I soldered the new coil and the replacement switch assembly) could cause this (when I mentioned being new to this - I've not soldered in many years so its possible that my soldering may not be the best - the wires appear to be connected however). I wanted to share this with you before I take the action to remove the fliptronic's board (I visually looked at this and don't see anything of concern). Appreciate any thoughts you might have - thanks again.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Wolfkell is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back