NitroNimbus MOD 2.0

oof... turning off VertSync made a huge difference! I think I'd turned that on at some point to help prevent a potential crash. Turning down PF lights and halos also ekes out a few more cycles. So I can get up to at least 45fps now on Jungle Girl, which likely carries over to most other tables.

This post helped me a lot, where miownkhan explains that "If vsync is activated, any thing over your monitor refresh rate (60) will be ignored. Any thing lower than your monitor refresh rate (60) will stutter." Now we're talking!

That post also helped clear up some of my key Q's, above:
- Ops The total number of Draw operations being performed by the Future Pinball rendering engine.

- Tris The total number of triangles (or polygons) being fed into the Future Pinball rendering engine each frame. Adjusting the settings in the Video Preferences dialog will greatly affect this value.

- Physics The Total Processor time (in milliseconds) the Physics Engine is taking on the current table over the last second.

I... never knew there was a manual! Didn't see one on Black's site, and sort of assumed the worst. :s

But searching around, I'm guessing these are some pretty good ones?
http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinres/inde...chSubtype=-1&searchAuthor=&searchAuthorIdx=-1

Last edited:
Yeap, as expected... Bounty Hunter Mod 2.0 now runs over 60fps in View2, and around 53fps in View1. George's modified version clocks in about the same, although seems to play a little smoother. Maybe "fps" isn't the final, be-all measure in these cases.

Also confirming that my PC is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M72e with 4gb of RAM and likely vanilla options, including an Intel HD Graphics 2500 integrated card. [specs]

For the record, I tried messing with various system options, but couldn't find anything resembling an advanced video control panel like you'd see with Nvidia graphics cards. Just some relatively vanilla panels available through system settings and the right-click desktop menu. Maybe not too surprising?

So basically, I have a dated, low-end desktop machine, without any special video card, yet I'm evidently able to get ~60fps on most tables now. Amazing. But somehow, I had a feeling that if I kept pressing... :D

Thanks, Bob! I think I accidentally discovered the BAM menu once, but checking the BAM manual just now, I understand that I can trigger it via ~ while in game. Okay, good.

I did try turning off New Renderer for lights and postprocesses on Jungle Girl, and the FPS actually dipped a little. But I'm sure I need to try it on more tables.

Also not sure how to get BAM to store my settings, or to forbid New Renderer globally for all tables. I tried saving to an XML, but that didn't seem to work. But this is a good start, hey...

EDIT: I think I need to look at George's GoPinball guide more closely, as I haven't yet tried making any video card settings.
Any changes you make in the BAM menu are automatically saved for that table. And if you select "Save as default" should be applied to all tables except those new ones by Terry, Slam and George that mandate the New Renderer in the script....

Any changes you make in the BAM menu are automatically saved for that table. And if you select "Save as default" should be applied to all tables except those new ones by Terry, Slam and George that mandate the New Renderer in the script....
Yeap, tried those things. Exited a table and came back in. Also saved as default. My changes were still lost.

Possibly a permissions issue with my BAM folder, I guess.

Also you likely have already discussed this....but of course you will likely get the biggest boost if you turn off "new renderer" in BAM setting menu.

Hi Gimli,
Mate I have added "xBAM.Lights.EnableNewRenderer = TRUE" to every tables I have posted.
Is this the same thing? If so he will need to change this to FALSE, save and restart the table otherwise it will revert to TRUE.
I didn't even think of new render, this is a huge resource killer.

I should add you name to every table I post.
Thanks for all your help, your tutorials and your knowledge of BAM features are second to none.
As alway respect, cheers!

Hi Ike,
Mate I am guessing you don't, but never check "mirror playfield into ball".
I also set table glossiness at max or close too, change this to none (slider all the way left) it may help, cheers!

Step 8 of my guide here says this:

" If you have a screen with a 60 Hz refresh rate and more than 80 FPS on all your tables, you need to check Vertical Sync (no tearing and stuttering). But if your FPS is sometimes under 60 FPS, then you should uncheck Vertical Sync in order to avoid very low FPS and stuttering. ...So the short story is try several tables with "Vertical Sync" unchecked. If you exceed 80 FPS on all your tables, then check "Vertical Sync". If the FPS is less than 80, then uncheck "Vertical Sync". "

I am guessing you may be able to play both tables with the video with vsync unchecked.

I... never knew there was a manual! Didn't see one on Black's site, and sort of assumed the worst. :s

But searching around, I'm guessing these are some pretty good ones?
http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinres/inde...chSubtype=-1&searchAuthor=&searchAuthorIdx=-1

Those are the same manual that FP has in the help option. The one I posted has table objects sorted by name on the bookmarks which makes it convenient for me.

You probably won't find it very helpful because it is largely oriented towards building tables. I tell you the sections you need to read in my guide. There are only a few sections for a novice.

Hi Gimli,
Mate I have added "xBAM.Lights.EnableNewRenderer = TRUE" to every tables I have posted.
Is this the same thing? If so he will need to change this to FALSE, save and restart the table otherwise it will revert to TRUE.

Thanks for all your help, your tutorials and your knowledge of BAM features are second to none.
Thanks !
Great work with the mods...I think it is a great thing to do to provide a desperatelyneeded upgrade to the the older FP tables !

Yes that is the code to force new renderer in the script...you can then switch it off in the BAM menu temporarily but it will load in new renderer each time due to the script

on my old lap top I have to disable New Renderer to get a good frame rate.
Which is a drag because New Renderer makes shadows and all the new lighting features amazing.

oops..I double posted

Is this the same thing? If so he will need to change this to FALSE, save and restart the table otherwise it will revert to TRUE. I didn't even think of new render, this is a huge resource killer.

I also set table glossiness at max or close too, change this to none (slider all the way left) it may help, cheers!
- Reflections - glossiness, got it. Shows up on the right side under table settings, but I assume that's it. And... unbelievable(!) Turning the slider "off" boosts Bounty Hunter close to 90fps, now. oO

- "Mirror PF onto ball" also causes a hit in VP, so I knew to be wary of that one. Good stuff.

- Strangely, turning off the NewRender lights in script produces a significantly different effect than turning it off in the BAM menu. The table becomes almost pitch dark, and instead of getting a FPS hit (as with using the BAM menu), I get a FPS boost. Then I use the BAM menu to turn the lighting back up.

Maybe some of this stuff is down to peculiarities in my video card. Either way, I'll take it. :)

Hi Gimli,
Thanks mate, I am only trying to make the mod's how I like them!
As you know scripting or anything technical is not what I do, pretty lights, big flashes and hopefully some cool tunes is what works for me.
RAV and many others have changed the rules. My old personal table mod's are subpar at best and I couldn't be more thankful that they all need an upgrade. It got me interested in the hobby again and made me want to share my take on it.
You know I only copy and paste others work (a lot of yours and SLAMT1LT's) but if it gets the ball rolling again for an interest in FP I am all for it.
Unfortunately my mistakes seem to be a highlight at the moment, but that is how it is.

They say the best things in life are not for free, but FP and VPX are.
I couldn't imagine how much time a table author/s spends creating, scripting and modeling a table.
I just hope the author/s don't take my mod's as an insult to there work.
It's just my take to maybe reflect some of the impressive BAM tools available.
Let's be honest if it wasn't for BAM would we even be concerned with FP 10 years after the fact.
I say no, cheers!

Hi Gimli,

Hi Ike,

The New Renderer is a resource killer but if you are going to select only one light mode, it is the best. The only alternative is to provide several lighting options like I do. Of course, that requires more work.

The only tables that I had issues with frame rate were Terry Red's PinEvent tables those are very resource intensive. Turning off Stream helped me get close to 60 fps at 4x AA with the only loss of the small video screen on the playfield on the table which mirrored the dmd, which I did not need because this is a cabinet. with no noticeable stutter on playing 54fps average when hitting f9. I haven't tried turning off vsync in worries of tearing of screen on some tables. Can we enable disable vsync per table?

Last edited:
Can we enable disable vsync per table?

No but I am not sure it would help if you could. When you turn off vsync on a higher end PC, you can get odd problems. You can get weird sounds, odd occurrences like having the ball drop through the playfield and many other strange things. You can try it and see what happens,

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Isaac Sauvage has posted a new reply in the thread "How to Install Addressable LEDs".
      Back