Williams Phoenix (Williams, 1978) Replacement Speaker Help!

bowman9

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Back to the Future
Hello All,

I am still trying to get my Williams Phoenix pinball machine up and running and am currently working on the sound card. I have replaced all the old capacitors on the board as one was very corroded and am now looking for a replacement speaker.

Does anyone know the of the needed requirements for the replacement speaker?
It is a Williams System3/4 sound board (known as TYPE 1).
Here are the only numbers I could find on the back of the speaker, but they did not come up on any google searches. I am not sure if the speaker is original or not as I bought the machine used.
20a-9218

Thanks for any help,
Bowman9

A speaker is a non-critical part, meaning you can use practically any model that fits. (Many owners even purposely swap the factory ones for better ones in order to get better sound.) Besides, it is highly unlikely that you will find the exact model anymore, so you will probably have no other choice than using an alternative anyway.

The only thing that is important is to make sure that the new speaker has the right ohmage - it should be either 4 or 8 Ohms. (Check the old speaker, when in doubt take 8 Ohm.) As for Watts, i would say anything between 15W to 50W should be O.K.,...

go to your local auto store they usually carry replacement speakers shallow enough to fit into the same area that your fits into, and yes check to see whether it's 4 or 8 ohms. go for about 15 watts, as most pin speakers only carry about 10 watts max you'll get better sound at a decent price

Back of Type 1 Soundboard

Okay a picked up a replacement speaker, but that does not seem to be the issue.
The speaker makes a humming sound and some crackling noises, but no actual pin sounds, so I have also replaced the sound prom with no luck either.

I am getting ready to replace the MPU and the PIA chips (and sockets) but noticed a couple of red jumper wires on the back of the board (please see attached image).

Does anybody know if these wires were installed at the factory or is this a modification/hack that was done later on???

Thanks
Bowman9

Attachments

• back-type1-sound.jpg
    back-type1-sound.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 375
try switching the speaker wires

maybe you did it already but just incase you didnt think about it try switching the two wires going to your speaker
the dumb leading the blind << ;)

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back