PinEvent Guide (for TerryRed's releases on Future Pinball)

TerryRed

Pinball Master
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
My Virtual Pinball Cabinet
1649478993983.png

PinEvent Guide (for TerryRed's releases on Future Pinball)

I created PinEvent V2 so I could have a complete feature set and quality standard for my own table releases on Future Pinball.

PinEvent V2 features:
  • DOF (direct output framework) for cabinet feedback and lighting
  • Night mode (turn off DOF noise makers at night)
  • Pinup Player / PuP-Packs
  • PUP DMD for a dazzling modern display for scores, text and videos
  • PUP SSF (surround sound feedback) and 3D positional ball rolling
  • PUP Stream which can stream the PUP DMD display into FP directly
  • no need for additional apps to control DOF or PuP
  • TILT BOB support for analogue nudge
  • optional PinEvent V2 global settings
  • optional custom PinEvent V2 settings per table
  • works in ALL modes (Desktop, Cabinet, VR)

What is PinEvent V2 used with?

All of TerryRed's PinEvent V2 releases for Future Pinball

PinEvent V2 features are all optional:
  • PinEvent V2 tables work in all setups (Desktop, Cabinet, VR)
  • they don’t require additional files to be able to run
  • you need DOF and Pinup Player installed if you wish to use those features

Why was PinEvent V2 created?
  • Future Pinball restricted the usage of external applications with tables. This made it difficult to add DOF and PUP support to Future Pinball tables
  • PinEvent V2 uses the new COM Extensions plug-in for BAM (made by Nailbuster and ravarcade) that allows Future Pinball to "directly" access DOF and Pinup Player and be able to use ALL their features!
  • as a result I was able to make a new script / command standard for myself to add DOF / PUP / SSF features to any Future Pinball table

What does PinEvent V2 do?

PinEvent V2 will manage and control DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD, PUP Stream, TILT BOB, and Night Mode features automatically.

How PinEvent V2 Works
  • on startup, the table will check for PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt in the Scripts folder
  • if it’s found, then it will use the user’s settings in that file to enable PinEvent V2 features
  • if it’s not found, then it will use PinEvent V2 Custom Table settings in the table script
  • if DOF or PuP are not installed, then the DOF and PuP features are disabled and their commands are bypassed (the table will operate like a normal Future Pinball table)
  • if PUP DMD is enabled, it will verify if the correct PuP-Pack is installed
  • if the PuP-Pack is not installed or is an incorrect version, all PUP features are disabled
  • if PuP is detected and enabled, the PuP-Pack is started
  • if DOF is detected and enabled, a DOF session is started
  • the table starts
  • shortly after the table starts (3-6 secs), any PUP Stream options enabled will appear on the table
  • the table will now play and be able to trigger and control DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD (if enabled)

PinEvent V2 Custom Table Settings
  • this option can be used to override settings in the PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt file
  • this can be handy if you have a desire to have different settings for a specific table
  • these settings are what will be used if PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt file can’t be found

Pinup Player PuP-Packs

• each PinEvent V2 PuP-Pack has multiple “Options” to choose from for every type of setup

Thanks to:

- ravarcade for the many updates to BAM that allowed this to be possible
- ravarcade and DJRobX for the PuP Plug-in that allows PUP Stream to work
- Nailbuster for Pinup Player, the PUPDMD Framework, and help with vbs code examples

For a video showcase of PinEvent in action, watch these epic videos:

DISCLAIMER

Please DO NOT use the name PinEvent in your table mods or code

• “PinEvent” refers to my own table releases only
  • “PinEvent” has specific features and updates that represent my own work
  • please do not use the name “PinEvent” when referring to PUP or DOF mods of a FP table
  • I don’t want any confusion
  • I will not give support to any mods of PinEvent tables or code
  • I will only give support and add updates to my own PinEvent releases

PinEvent V2 tables and mods

You are free to mod PinEvent tables, but please consider the following:
  • some PinEvent tables may be an update to a table from someone else who may not want their creations converted to or used on another program such as Visual Pinball. This can be confirmed at the top of the table script
  • if modding, please wait a long while after I release a table, and ask me first as I am always adding updates and fixes
  • I may make changes to both the DOF config and the pup-pack in the future which will no longer be compatible with older table versions
  • PinEvent tables have complex control code for PUP and DOF
  • table mods may be used by some people in a cabinet with expensive feedback and lighting hardware. If you can’t test all of these features, then you could be allowing the table to cause unknown damage to the cabinet or hardware!
  • I will not recognise any mods as “PinEvent” tables, and will not give support for them. I will direct ALL support to you
  • I worked VERY hard to create a standard of “quality” and “support” for my releases. Please respect that.

Please DO NOT modify my DOF configs for PinEvent tables on DOF Config Tool
  • I have VERY specific DOF configs that are designed to work with PinEvent updates only!
  • you can make your own DOF changes on your own Private config
  • DO NOT submit changes from your private DOF config for Public consideration! (if there is a problem on one of my tables, please message me)
  • I specifically added separate “PinEvent only” configs so that everyone is free to use the normal FP configs to mod other FP tables for DOF

You CAN add FizX, PuP and DOF to your own tables or mods (you don’t need PinEvent code)
  • here is an All In One Example table and Tutorial that includes everything you need to add FizX physics, FLEEP sounds, DOF, PUP SSF and Ball Rolling sounds to your own FP tables easily!
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/t...p-ball-rolling-pup-ssf-dof-easy-to-add.21983/

****** PinEvent Guide ******

Created by: TerryRed

Version: 3.0, Oct 2023

What is included?
  • PinEvent V2 Guide
  • PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt (for global settings)

This guide is now completely updated
  • I now have all my guides and tutorials in PDF format
  • this new guide has been created to be used with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package
  • all my guides and tutorials are now only included with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package

You can get the FP and BAM Essentials AIO - COMPLETE package (and the PinEvent Guide) here:

A video tutorial that walks you through this guide can be seen here:

Chapters

00:00 Start
01:20 What is PinEvent?
04:28 PinEvent features
07:19 How does PinEvent work?
10:31 PinEvent Lite
11:21 Disclaimer
13:03 Requirements (for DOF, PUP, etc)
16:13 Windows, Defender, Security issues
17:57 PinEvent Settings
20:12 PinEvent Custom Table Settings
21:35 Pinup Player
26:09 PUP SSF
29:06 Future Pinball Backbox problems (the evil villain for FP PuP-Packs)
34:40 TILT BOB
37:21 DMDExt
40:22 PUPDMD
42:19 PuP-Pack Options
49:34 PUP Stream
54:46 PUP Stream setup
56:52 PUP Stream quick demo
1:01:34 How to install PinEvent table and PuP-Pack
1:04:40 PinEvent TABLE OPTIONS (in table script)
1:07:53 Popper options (to disable FP Backbox and DOFLinx, run DMDExt, etc)
1:16:05 Start FP BAT files (no front-end, disable FP Backbox, run DMDExt, etc)
1:17:32 Debugger features
1:19:56 Tables MUST use correct PuP-Pack version!
1:22:11 Closing

Last edited:
The first PinEvent V2 table and PuP-Pack is now available!

Sonic Pinball Mania - 1.2 PinEvent V2

Get the new 1.2 table update and new PuP-Pack here:

EVERYONE using PinEvent V2 features (DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD) MUST read the new install instructions included in the table's zip file!

Blue vs Pink - BAM Edition (PinEvent V2) - Future Pinball

1.2 PinEvent V2 update and PuP-Pack - now available!

The second PinEvent V2 table and PuP-Pack is here.

This is my BAM Edition mod of this classic "original" FP table that gives it all new lighting, shadowmaps, ambient shows, ray cast shadows, newer physics, fleep sounds, new inserts, and more.

This table update will work for everyone. Make sure you are properly setup and updated for FP-BAM first. Then install the table and play it like any other FP-BAM table.

If you want to use PinEvent V2 features (DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD), then you need to read and follow the install instructions included with the table.

screenshot.jpg

Sonic Pinball Mania

1.3 update

- added option to disable the Shield's SlowMotion (the slow motion made the game unplayable for some users - 5 fps, etc)
- updated Install Instructions
- added new info relevant to the new version of Baller Installer

PinEvent V2 Guide - 1.1 update

- updated various bits of the Guide
- added new information relevant to new version of Baller Installer
- updated FAQ

Junkyard Cats - PinEvent V2 is available (forgot to add it here).

This is my BAM Edition mod of this classic "original" FP table that gives it all new lighting, shadowmaps, ambient shows, ray cast shadows, newer physics, fleep sounds, new inserts, and more.

This table update will work for everyone. Make sure you are properly setup and updated for FP-BAM first. Then install the table and play it like any other FP-BAM table.

If you want to use PinEvent V2 features (DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD), then you need to read and follow the install instructions included with the table.

1655154256155.png

PinEvent V2 tables - new table updates (Future Pinball)

All PinEvent V2 tables have now been updated with the latest FizX updates and some hotfixes. These are the last updates I will be doing for a long time, as now I will be focused on working on Silent Hill.... and recovering from heart surgery.

These are the newest updates for all PinEvent V2 tables:

Blue Vs Pink - BAM Edition (1.8 - PinEvent V2, FizX)
F-14 Tomcat - AfterBurner (1.5 - PinEvent V2, FizX)
Halloween - Big Bloody Mike (1.6 - PinEvent V2, FizX)
Jaws - Bigger Boat Edition (1.3 - PinEvent V2, FizX)
Junkyard Cats - Bam Edition (1.7 - PinEvent V2, FizX)
Retroflair - BAM Edition (1.8 - PinEvent, FizX)
Sonic Pinball Mania (1.6 - PinEvent V2, FizX)
Star Wars DSA - Galactic Edition (1.3 - PinEvent V2, FizX)

- updated FizX physics code to change how ball ID's are handled to prevent conflicts
- updated FizX physics code for more efficient Rubber bounce handling
- updated Ball Rolling Sound code to change how ball ID's are tracked to prevent conflicts
- removed old PUPRollingUpdateTimer commands that are no longer used (would give an error if PinEvent Settings were forced to be disabled)
- other various fixes

Important! Please Read!

- ALL these new updates REQUIRE the latest BAM 1.5-357 or higher!
- patch both FP and BAM for 4 GB access after updating BAM, to be sure they are both patched
- FizX v2.0 no longer uses the older 8K Physics Ball! Do not use it anymore!
- install the 1K Physics Ball model now! (as default.zip in BAM folder, NOT the balls folder!)
- if using PUP features, you MUST install the "newest" PuP-Pack included with the table zip, or PUP features won't work!

If you installed Baller Installer and UPDATED it to the new Jan 2023 update, then you "should" be fully updated and ready for these new table updates!

Follow the Install Instructions (and its FAQ) included with the table if you are not sure you are updated correctly... have FP settings setup correctly (important)... or if having any problems.

New table updates are available when approved by site admins:

81xGCFa.jpg

9TlwekW.jpg

ZKwvTC8.jpg

yi5SLXI.jpg

JvYkQ98.jpg

VtpghVR.jpg

EXYU4CU.jpg

d37slbJ.jpg

It seems that now it is really easy to "upgrade" as you did so in such short time.

Thanks @TerryRed

Do NOT use Windows 8 Compatibility!

In the past, previous Windows updates caused Future Pinball to crash for some people. The easy solution was to set FPLoader.exe to Windows 8 Compatibility. Newer Windows updates and newer BAM updates have long since solved that issue.

In my guides, I have only ever recommended to set this to FPLoader.exe "if having crashing issues". Since that is no longer the case, I no longer recommend that as even an option. If you are having crashing issues, update your Windows, update your GPU drivers, sound drivers, etc. (disable the Nihamic driver / services if you have them installed, as it causes problems)

I have found that enabling Windows 8 compatibility causes FP-BAM to have serious performance issues! (ball stuttering, etc) Make sure you do NOT have this set on either FuturePinball.exe or FPLoader.exe (and in BAM Open VR folder if using that)

1693758720995.png

First let me say I could not stop smiling the whole time I was playing SW: DSA. The sounds, callouts and visuals are so much fun. I went through the install instructions for the table and for FP and BAM Essentials, both seem very straight forward.

Here is my view on the pincab. I tried updating the PF Video and Editor settings to those shown for "MULTISCREEN SETUPS (PinEvent Tables with PUP-Packs)" but the settings in that jpg just made the backglass disappear.

What do I need to change to see the video and should there be something displaying on the third screen in the speaker grill? I tried searching for a video of a three screen cabinet playing the game but didn't find any.
1694576391845.jpeg

Also should I be able to feel SSF as I can on VPX tables? I'm currently reading about Pinup Popper, on the chance it is not installed or configured correctly.

Thanks TerryRed for the wonderful table.

First let me say I could not stop smiling the whole time I was playing SW: DSA. The sounds, callouts and visuals are so much fun. I went through the install instructions for the table and for FP and BAM Essentials, both seem very straight forward.

Here is my view on the pincab. I tried updating the PF Video and Editor settings to those shown for "MULTISCREEN SETUPS (PinEvent Tables with PUP-Packs)" but the settings in that jpg just made the backglass disappear.

What do I need to change to see the video and should there be something displaying on the third screen in the speaker grill? I tried searching for a video of a three screen cabinet playing the game but didn't find any.
View attachment 39105

Also should I be able to feel SSF as I can on VPX tables? I'm currently reading about Pinup Popper, on the chance it is not installed or configured correctly.

Thanks TerryRed for the wonderful table.

Yes, you need the latest Pinup Player (and each table's pup-pack installed) to be able the see the video backglass and FullDMD displays for PinEvent tables, and for PUP SSF on any table that uses it (all PinEvent tables, and any table using the AIO Example table's code and the FP_PUP_SSF PuP-Pack).

After you have PUP installed / updated, and the PUP displays setup correctly for your cabinet... then make sure each table has the pup-pack installed (the newest version packaged with the newest table). Then in each pup-pack folder, run the "Option" BAT file that matches your setup to configure the pup-pack correctly.

Pinup Popper is a front-end that uses Pinup Player. You don't need Popper installed to use PuP-Packs with tables.

The PinEvent V2 Guide has the info about installing and setting up Pinup Player.

You disable the FP Backbox and Arcade mode in FP video settings when using a PuP-Pack, so the FP Backbox doesn't cover the pup-pack.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. Now at the top of my "to do" list.

The table is working great now including SSF which just takes it to another level.. This will get a lot of time on the cabinet.
SW DSA DMD on cab.jpg
I loaded another table I've been working to convert to FizX. The SSF on it works fine but only for one game. If a second game is started it reverts to FP sounds coming through the backbox speakers. Exiting FP and restarting using FPLoader restores SSF.

Is it necessary to manually change the FP settings to disable the 2nd screen BG and Arcade mode every time I launch a PinEvent V2 table for the BG and DMD to work properly or is there a way to make that happen automatically?

No automatic way as far as I know. It would help me just as well since I have a very "dynamic config" regarding monitors.
But on a cabinet, I'd assume you will always have more than 1 monitor on so and would not need that (I would not use the cabinet for anything else, but that's me)

Is it necessary to manually change the FP settings to disable the 2nd screen BG and Arcade mode every time I launch a PinEvent V2 table for the BG and DMD to work properly or is there a way to make that happen automatically?

There's no way for FP itself to automatically be able to change the settings, but you can use some methods to make the changes automatically happen when launching FP.

Front-End

If you are using a front-end like Popper, then you can have that make the changes in the registry for you on a per table basis. Or you could setup a second FP emulator / system (in the front-end's settings) that would be used for PinEvent tables only that would do it for you. (this is all mentioned in the PinEvent Guide in the Backglass and Front-end sections)

If using Popper as a front-end, an easy solution is on my Baller Installer FP Tips page:

No Front-End

If you don't use a front-end, you could make 2 BAT files.

- one BAT file would make the changes in the registry for you to disable the Backbox and Arcade mode and would also run FPLoader. Use this for FP tables with a pup-pack
- another BAT file would make the changes in the registry for you to enable the Backbox and Arcade mode and would also run FPLoader. Use this when running FP tables without a pup-pack
- just place these 2 BAT files in your BAM folder, and run whichever one you need instead of running FPLoader.exe

Here... I actually made the 2 BAT files for you and attached them to this post in a zip file.

- just unzip the two BAT files into your BAM folder (make sure Windows has not blocked the zip file before unzipping)
- run the BAT file you need ("FP with Backbox" or "FP with NO Backbox") when wanting to play FP. It will change the settings for you and run FP.
- you can rename the BAT files to whatever you want (just make sure .bat is still at the end of the filename)
- if you don't want any kind of command prompt window to appear for half a second when running a BAT file, make a shortcut for the BAT file, right-click the shortcut and choose properties, then change the "Run" from Normal Window to Minimized

1694780561348.png

Attachments

• Run FP and toggle Backbox - BAT files.zip
    604 bytes · Views: 8
Last edited:
TerryRed,

Wow that is awesome, thank you for that. I don't use a front end much so these batch files will be a great solution for me.

Any guidance on why the table I converted to FizX loses SSF support after the first game? As I mentioned closing and restarting FP restores full SSF function. It is probably code I've failed to add to the script.
My uneducated guesses, in no particular order:
1) Something is not shutting down or exiting properly at game end.
2) Something not initiating properly on subsequent plays.

Having immersive SSF on a woodrail is worth it even if I have to restart the program for every new game. The new capabilities are so good.

Take care,

Brent

@TerryRed, Placed shortcuts on the desktop and the batch files work perfectly. Clicked NO Backbox and played a modern original table with all the bells and whistles. Closed FP, clicked Backbox to play a recreation of a 70 year old table.

TerryRed,

Wow that is awesome, thank you for that. I don't use a front end much so these batch files will be a great solution for me.

Any guidance on why the table I converted to FizX loses SSF support after the first game? As I mentioned closing and restarting FP restores full SSF function. It is probably code I've failed to add to the script.
My uneducated guesses, in no particular order:
1) Something is not shutting down or exiting properly at game end.
2) Something not initiating properly on subsequent plays.

Having immersive SSF on a woodrail is worth it even if I have to restart the program for every new game. The new capabilities are so good.

Take care,

Brent

Check where you may have added PUP_Close. It should only be located in "Sub FuturePinball_EndPlay()". Nowhere else.

Doh! I put DOFClose and PUPClose in EndGame instead of cutting and pasting EndPlay. No wonder PUP SSF only worked for the first game.

****** PinEvent Guide ******

Created by: TerryRed

Version: 3.0, Oct 2023

What is included?
  • PinEvent V2 Guide
  • PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt (for global settings)

This guide is now completely updated
  • I now have all my guides and tutorials in PDF format
  • this new guide has been created to be used with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package
  • all my guides and tutorials are now only included with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package

You can get the FP and BAM Essentials AIO - COMPLETE package (and the PinEvent Guide) here:

A video tutorial that walks you through this guide can be seen here:

Chapters

00:00 Start
01:20 What is PinEvent?
04:28 PinEvent features
07:19 How does PinEvent work?
10:31 PinEvent Lite
11:21 Disclaimer
13:03 Requirements (for DOF, PUP, etc)
16:13 Windows, Defender, Security issues
17:57 PinEvent Settings
20:12 PinEvent Custom Table Settings
21:35 Pinup Player
26:09 PUP SSF
29:06 Future Pinball Backbox problems (the evil villain for FP PuP-Packs)
34:40 TILT BOB
37:21 DMDExt
40:22 PUPDMD
42:19 PuP-Pack Options
49:34 PUP Stream
54:46 PUP Stream setup
56:52 PUP Stream quick demo
1:01:34 How to install PinEvent table and PuP-Pack
1:04:40 PinEvent TABLE OPTIONS (in table script)
1:07:53 Popper options (to disable FP Backbox and DOFLinx, run DMDExt, etc)
1:16:05 Start FP BAT files (no front-end, disable FP Backbox, run DMDExt, etc)
1:17:32 Debugger features
1:19:56 Tables MUST use correct PuP-Pack version!
1:22:11 Closing

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back