Flipperless Rat Race (Willams, 1983) and other re-creations with BAM

@Gimli
ok, I build it on top of Fp .... :cool:ok I will put them left out of the closet, but you will have to be careful of the existing inclination of the knobs,this will be something Ike really likes .

question, there is a reason why you made rat-play bigger?

other question, if I build it horizontal is it a problem for you?
If you build it horizontal the table is too big and extends beyond the boundaries that rav has enabled

I only guessed at size of rat play...any scaling later will change size of all objects including ball

Yep that works Paolo, back to you !!

I you use special 1/2 I added a couple of camera view
Make sure Disable GLSL shaders is not checked

Attachments

• Rat_Race_pinball_test5.fpt
    5.5 MB · Views: 93
  • DisableShaders.jpg
    DisableShaders.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 84
Very Nice Paolo !!
Looking good !! :appl:

Very Nice Paolo !!
Looking good !! :appl:

Thanks Bob....the result is not excellent, there are no textures for the original plastics, I have to adapt them, and for surfaces or walls, in fp, there is no real coordination, as for the models, the walls in the small labyrinth are models, but the snake it's a surface ... if there was the original texture like this
IMG_1810.JPG

if there was, I would try to make a model, with a much better result than the current one.
if there would be a program that makes the photos turn, even from the front without loss of resolution, we could turn this one, but I doubt that it exists.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob....the result is not excellent, there are no textures for the original plastics, I have to adapt them, and for surfaces or walls, in fp, there is no real coordination, as for the models, the walls in the small labyrinth are models, but the snake it's a surface ... if there was the original texture like this
View attachment 14112

if there was, I would try to make a model, with a much better result than the current one.
I wonder if Francisco666 could help us ?

I wonder if Francisco666 could help us ?

francisco is not very active, but I doubt he would .......unfortunately, the person who was very good at this left us for a better place

Should I be seeiing sort of a... flashing PF, I guess you'd call it?
I think the flashing playfield is a prelimnary effect by Paolo.
He's the builder I'm the miniplayfield guy
BAM can do crazy lighting so we'll see how this evolves and rounds into shape

we are a team....Bob....each of us compensates for the other, you don't agree?
what for now is just a test, the playfield in light, it can be much better, but I will not flash it like that....will be implemented in Bam's SetLight

meanwhile I made the model of the score plate
score.jpg

I have to change the texture of the glass, I don't like it for now;)

How about an optional Rat Ball
I can make the rat bigger and make the pinball invisible if we wish.
But here is fun little demo

:p

Attachments

• LabyrinthRat.fpt
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
Here is some progress on Rat Race Paolo...if you have also started I can look at that.

It includes the rough coding through the first 3 modes and bonus modes:
1. Fast track - go around the track as many times as possible in 15 seconds to gain time bonuses
2. Sewer Swim - Go into the spiral snaky maze and out again
3.Bonus mode 1 - Go through one of the 3 bonus lanes for 10, 20 or 30 second time bonus
4.Street Smarts - Go through Red maze
5.Bonus Mode 2 should randomly select on of the 3 bonus holes
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

To do:
6. Varsity
7. Bonus
8.Job
9. Bonus
10. Big Cheese

etc.... etc....

@wild
@Gin
@Ike Savage

Here are the rules for Rat Race:
rr3 (2).jpg

Here is a video of the VP version. It is very nicely done, but of course with BAM we can actually code the 3d Tilting of the Table.

The Rules seem to imply that Mode 1 Should be "FAST TRACK" but the VP version starts with "SEWER SWIM"
In the Video, I start playing as if FAST TRACK is active.

You will see how the table sequence goes from there according to the rules above.

1.Fast Track
2. Sewer Swim
3.Bonus Lanes
4.Street Smarts
5.Bonus
6.Varsity
7.Bonus
8. Get A Job
9. Bonus (NOTE error in VP version the BONUS LIGHT is not working)
10.The BIG CHEESE (I noticed but it is not obvious in Video that you can't roll ball into centre of Big Cheese maze. Error ? When compared to videos of real table)

Last edited:
Here is the WIP BAM version still in its infancy. but demonstrating :
1. FAST TRACK (Notice the Main 40 second timer in the top DMD, the Fast Track Mode 15 second timer). You get a 10 second Time bonus every lap.
2. SEWER SWIM mode
3, Bonus Lanes
4.STREET SMARTS (I cheated during play by adding 40 seconds to the timer while you weren't looking :) )

Last edited:
we are a team....Bob....each of us compensates for the other, you don't agree?
what for now is just a test, the playfield in light, it can be much better, but I will not flash it like that....will be implemented in Bam's SetLight

meanwhile I made the model of the score plate
View attachment 14192

I have to change the texture of the glass, I don't like it for now;)

@wild
see videos above.

Regarding the Score Plate we may have a problem :)
This table uses "Gas Segment Displays" and this is the only thing that BAM miniplayfield can't grab.

So we can go with HUD displays GAS SEGMENTS or use DMD's (which aren't "authentic" for this table , but better)

@Ike Savage
I'll see if I can figure how tp run vp again and try you billiard engine...if you would like to try one with Bam, I know some tricks :)
For instance I can code a pool cue to collide with cue ball

Bam recently enabled movement of physical objects on table and anywhere in gamesroom and they retain their physics and collision properties (with the exception of flippers)
Herr is another proof of concept on a hockey game

Wow! amazing indeed. Can you now really create moving target with collision? this would fix the problem ,on some of my tables like astrohits, reel it in and multipede for example, who uses a sh*t load of object to simulate collision. anymore on that?

@Ike Savage

The Rules seem to imply that Mode 1 Should be "FAST TRACK" but the VP version starts with "SEWER SWIM"
Hmm, I see myself tagged there, but I didn''t seem to get an alert. Feeling okay there, site?

You know I forget how this table first attracted your interest, but even though I've mentioned the game several times in my roundups, I'm not actually all that familiar with it. I'll have to try the VP version and see iif I can get a sense of the modes progression.

10.The BIG CHEESE (I noticed but it is not obvious in Video that you can't roll ball into centre of Big Cheese maze. Error ? When compared to videos of real table)
Guess that needs to be tested, too.

Also, wow... those are some borderline obnoxious sounds in the original. Or maybe I have the volume cranked up too much.

Wow! amazing indeed. Can you now really create moving target with collision? this would fix the problem ,on some of my tables like astrohits, reel it in and multipede for example, who uses a sh*t load of object to simulate collision. anymore on that?

Here is where Rav introduces it:
Dec 20, 2019
There are 2 new propeties of mini-playfield:
- Colidable - (default value = True) - you can disable colisions with ball for all models inside mini-playfield
- PhysicsMove - (default value = False) - you can move objects of mini-playfields

You will also find that 2 new switches in Mini-Playfield menu.

See video:

There are many limitations for PhysicsMove property:
- you can't change scale of Mini-playfield (physics engine don't allow to change models, only position can be changed).
- only few objects work (walls, pegs, bumpers).... other partialy (kicker working as drain can capture ball, but it will release it only at ogrinal position) .... other dont work correct at move position (like flippers).
- when you move MP... it is not move in physics engine, it is "teleportation". So, make sure that ball will be not inside mini-playfield or wird, unpredictable things will happend.

There is also to say, that this function, I, requested it, for Time-Machine.

Hmm, I see myself tagged there, but I didn''t seem to get an alert. Feeling okay there, site?

also me,I didn't get the alert either....

Last edited:
@polygame
Something like millipede would certainly test BAM's capabilities.
Ravarcade recently increased the limit of "Miniplayfield's: from 16 to 48. And also enabled temporary repurposing of already existing "Source boxes"

So with Milipede I imagine that each segment of the milipede would contain a collidable target and each would have its own "miniplayfield" box. Then you can code the boxes to move around the playfield and have the targets drop and disappear when hit.

It definitely doable

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back