RIP Harry Kalas

mrschultz

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Really sad day around here, the voice of the Phillies and NFL films, Harry Kalas has passed.

Hard to belive after so long yesterdays game was the last one I'll hear from him.

He lived not far from me, was active in town, he'll be doubly missed around here.

Later,
Marty

well that's a damn shame. he had a superb narrating voice and always seemed like a friendly, classy individual to me. ashburn and kalas were the quintessential broadcasting team when i was a rabid phillies fan long ago.

i wonder how many average people nationwide realise that kalas was the voice of so much of the NFL stuff, like this:
YouTube - NFL 2K2

NFL films is based near Philly, he has been doing narration for them since 1975.

He also called football and other games for Westwood One.

Being a long time Phillies fan and living my entire life in Philadelphia this really hits close to home for me. Listening to him just the other night and come to find out the news today was heart breaking. The game will be the same but there will always be "Something" missing without Him.:verysad:

May he rest in peace.

The guys at my workplace joked about it not two hours after his passing with the now famous line," He's outta here!" I didn't know him but apparently he was the Phillies announcer since 1976, I don't follow sports at all, but he seems to have been pretty popular, I live close to philly but am not a baseball fan, having been born in the only state with NO hometeams for either baseball or football (New Jersey) so never got into sports that much.

The guys at my workplace joked about it not two hours after his passing with the now famous line," He's outta here!" I didn't know him but apparently he was the Phillies announcer since 1976, I don't follow sports at all, but he seems to have been pretty popular, I live close to philly but am not a baseball fan, having been born in the only state with NO hometeams for either baseball or football (New Jersey) so never got into sports that much.

1971 actually.

I know it's an obvious joke, but not funny for those that listened to him for hundreds or thousands of games. I've probably watched or listened to probably half of the Phillies games over the last 20 to 25 years, that's over 1000 games....

I grew up in CT half way between New York and Boston, never really had any local teams to follow until moving near Philly

it amazes me how hard it apparently is to find top-notch broadcasters like kalas. there are probably more candidates out there than ever before, yet you wouldn't know know it from the results.

my sport for some time now has been basketball, but there are only four people in all the regional and national crews that i find interesting to listen to- albert, fratello, collins and brown. the rest of them are interchangeable stepford wives (quite professional, but still stepford wives) -- either that, or downright annoying.

it amazes me how hard it apparently is to find top-notch broadcasters like kalas. there are probably more candidates out there than ever before, yet you wouldn't know know it from the results.

my sport for some time now has been basketball, but there are only four people in all the regional and national crews that i find interesting to listen to- albert, fratello, collins and brown. the rest of them are interchangeable stepford wives (quite professional, but still stepford wives) -- either that, or downright annoying.

I know, you would think there would be a much larger pool of good talent in that area, but for some reason there isn't. When they had a delay on the radio broadcasts early in the baseball playoffs last year it was horrible to have to listen to the national guys. There were times I turned off the TV and just listened to the radio.

I wonder if it's because they try to give a lot of those jobs to former players, so talented people don't even try? Can't be the lack of money, if you get popular there's loads of companies that want popular voices for their commercials.

Football seems to have a better pool of broadcasters, maybe it's because there's only one game a week. Baseball, basketball, and hockey have so many games over long seasons, the broadcasters are away from home a big part of the year.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back