VP8 Stern SS Recreation Ripley's Golden - JPSalas v5.3 JP 2020-01-28

No permission to download
Solid State Machines

jpsalas

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Here it is Ripley's Believe It or Not - Golden Edition

About this table:

- It uses all the sounds from the rom sampled by Destruk and played by Steve's code. Since the rom doesn't emulate the sounds it plays very well on older computers.

- I have included 4 bacdrops, one of them made by fatdog1, as seen in the screenshot, and 2 balls: a golden one and a traditional one.

- It is nearly angle independent. Only the backdrop with the cabinet and the head will not show right with the angle changed. The head kan be moved or resized to fit you angle preferences, even you can move it out of the way if you want since it is not an object that the needs to hit. Under it there is a wall with the right image.

- It has all the features of my SE and Golden versions, like no fading wall based lights, red plastic ramps and golden wired ramps, a very small apron and most of all a very wide view.

I know there are two more authors working on theirs versions of this table and a very good version by Jamin but I just wanted to make my own version in a golden style. It isn't 100% like the original, but not too far either. This table it is becoming one of my favorites. There are no moving toys or animations just plain pinball, shoot the targets, get points and many multiballs! It remembers me more a table of the S11 era (80's) than a 2003 table. Well done Stern. I just hope one day I'll be able to play a real one.

JP

Attachments

• jpsalas_ripleys_fatdog1_background_124.jpg
    jpsalas_ripleys_fatdog1_background_124.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 576
And here it is a screenshot of the table with PD's gameroom that I use as standard in my Golden tables, since I feel the colours of the game room suit very well to the golden/red theme of the table.

Attachments

• jpsalas_ripleys_100.jpg
    jpsalas_ripleys_100.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 471
Thanks Jp it looks beautiful.

Not for me it wasn't :) just looked again and it's fine. Try again.

help - green background on head

I seem to recall this topic has been answered somewhere but can't find it. Everything on the table looks right except the big ugly head is in the middle of a green square. How do I fix that or make the background transparent?
I do have the 3-26 VP files and the latest VPinMAME.
My video (Dell Inspiron) is 1400x1050, same result for 32 or 16-bit depth. No other VP table has this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carl

elton said:
Not for me it wasn't :) just looked again and it's fine. Try again.

Here's what I'm looking at when I click on the download link on the download page.

Attachments

• ripley_152.jpg
    ripley_152.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 999
I also get the 404 error when I try the link for Ripleys believe it or not.

I've been getting the 404 error message since it was released.

Sorry!

The download mystery has been solved, it worked fine for me with Firefox and Opera but not with IE. It had something to do with the zip named with a ' in the title so i had to rename it. A lot of the downloads had to be fixed after the server switch because it didn't recognize capital letters so this looks related.

Thanks for Ripley's jp, it looks excellent!

GARYSON321 said:
I also get the 404 error when I try the link for Ripleys believe it or not.

I believe you! :wink:

Thanks for fixing it Jon.

And a huge thanks to JP.

Glad that's sorted - I couldn't understand it at all. Good 'ol Firefox eh! :)

There is an error in the magnet under the head: when the magnet goes off the ball should be sent upwards instead of just down like it is now.

I have fixed that. I'll add a few 50x35 backdrops in case any of you want to change the view angle to a more top down view and I'll upload the table this evening.

JP

More Re: help - green background on head

cellocgw said:
Everything on the table looks right except the big ugly head is in the middle of a green square. How do I fix that or make the background transparent?

A followup: in the editor, I dragged the green-framed head off to the side. Now the table itself looks fine (there's a static head in the right place); the green-framed head flashes bright/darkat the appropriate times.
So how do I fix the background?

RE: More Re: help - green background on head

I see the green box too if I use VP7 (I guess it is the Ati reel bug). I have made some changes to it (making the reel picture smaller and chose the background transparent in the reel properties), but still it shows green in my computer (I have an Ati card).

But this reel error is fixed in the new VP8 beta 5, so you may use that to play. I used VP8 beta5 the whole time to build the table and it works quite well.

RE: More Re: help - green background on head

I have updated the table to 1.01

Fixes:
- fixed temple top not displaying right on some resolutions.
- fixed head magnet now it kicks the ball upwards.
- added 52x42 backdrops

There are 2 view angles:
wide: 60x32 (default)
topdown: 52x42

To change the view to 52x42: go to the backdrop, change the inclination to 52 and the field of view to 42. Change the picture (choose one of the backdrops included in the table). Move the head reel a little up and to the right and move the 3 lights/reels a little up and to the left.

There are also two empty backdrops in the zip file so you can make your own. They are 1280x1024, remember to reduce them to 1024x1024 or 1024x768 before you import them in VP.

JP

Re: RE: More Re: help - green background on head

jpsalas said:
But this reel error is fixed in the new VP8 beta 5, so you may use that to play. I used VP8 beta5 the whole time to build the table and it works quite well.

Thanks, JP. I'll go install VP8b5

Carl

RE: Re: RE: More Re: help - green background on head

I can't run it. It says it requires latest sega.vbs and newest pinmame version. I can't seem to find either or these.

Ok nevermind, I got it to run, but the roms are not right. Any info on how to fix?

I have updated the table to 1.02, just added a missing gate between the head magnet and the bumpers.

JP

Thanks JP. Great table as always.

I have uploaded 1.03.
Just added the missing knocker sound, nothing more.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back