Williams Solved Satin Doll (Williams, 1975) Continuous Game over

evoyton

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Satin Doll
Hey folks,

New around here but here is the scoop...

I hit start on my Williams EM Satin Doll (which was just working before she "walked out on me"), the credits decrease by one, but then instead of resetting the score and going forward with the startup sequence, she says game over again! I am certain that this is a simple fix, any suggestions? This is my first pin, and my first repair.

Thanks all

Solution
the game over relay is a latching relay. the trip coil pulls in at game over and the reset coil pulls in at the start of a new game. manually reset the game over relay. if it stays in you should have playfield power , if it trips right away there is a reset problem to be found.
Hey folks,

New around here but here is the scoop...

I hit start on my Williams EM Satin Doll (which was just working before she "walked out on me"), the credits decrease by one, but then instead of resetting the score and going forward with the startup sequence, she says game over again! I am certain that this is a simple fix, any suggestions? This is my first pin, and my first repair.

Thanks all
Is the ball count unit stuck?

I have the original manual, but being that I have never tinkered with a pin, it still makes an easy problem difficult for me.

I will have a look now to see if the ball count has reset...

ib1mbav6b
I have taken a photo of both the ball count (reset) and the ball count in the diagram in the manual. http://postimg.org/image/ib1mbav6b/

Each time I press the start button, regardless of how the ball count is positioned, it does the same thing as I described aaand the ball count does not move. Now, I am able to manually move the gears in the ball count, and I used some steel wool to clean up the surface where the electrodes touch, still same problem. The solenoids that control the ball count aren't even firing, and they are not burnt out from the looks of it they are still in good condition.

WELL...RATS

:headscratch:I thought that might be one of those simple fixes you were hoping for.(This Droid Needs A Brand New Motivator!)....Simple fix #2 Try giving the score motor a little push. With the power on it should(I Believe) start moving and complete one full cycle. This works for my EM games but I'm not sure about yours.

P.S. With all those roll over buttons, drop targets and flippers 'Satin Doll' Looks like good fun...C_S
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2057&picno=19887
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=satin+doll&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2057

Last edited:
Yeah, give it a little shove. Sometimes the coils go weak, and can't make it on their own. This thread had me worried. I saw it and thought there was a problem with the version I just uploaded lol.

Attachments

• Satin Doll (Desktop).jpg
    Satin Doll (Desktop).jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 335
The score motor does turn, even when I hit the start button... and yes, if I give it a push it turns as well. Perhaps the score motor is no tripping the reset relay?

Yes, the she is a blast, can wait to get her up and running again.

the game over relay is a latching relay. the trip coil pulls in at game over and the reset coil pulls in at the start of a new game. manually reset the game over relay. if it stays in you should have playfield power , if it trips right away there is a reset problem to be found.

Solution

The game over relay latch is shot! Which is causing the lock relay to heat up! This is great news, I'll be ordering some new coils for her, stat!!! Thank you so much, I will certainly keep you posted in the coming weeks on the fix!

the lock relay pulls in and stays pulled in right after the machine is turned on. heating of the lock relay coil is normal. usually if the coil paper wrapper is burned up showing the wires the coil does not have much life left and should be changed.

Yeah, give it a little shove. Sometimes the coils go weak, and can't make it on their own. This thread had me worried. I saw it and thought there was a problem with the version I just uploaded lol.
So every thing was working just fine on my pinball machine was doin some cleaning checking connections on bulbs and so forth came to back side of machine noticed ball count unit was loose from board so I tightened it now it doesn't want to chance to 2 or 3 or 4 and so on .It will chance when you hit the tilt though so I kinda confused on what is going on..I can manually change from ball count in back.??? Can you help me

So every thing was working just fine on my pinball machine was doin some cleaning checking connections on bulbs and so forth came to back side of machine noticed ball count unit was loose from board so I tightened it now it doesn't want to chance to 2 or 3 or 4 and so on .It will chance when you hit the tilt though so I kinda confused on what is going on..I can manually change from ball count in back.??? Can you help me
What you want to be checking is the ball index relay. It’s only when the ball index relay is pulled in that the ball count unit will advance. The 2 things that pull in the ball index relay are the tilt relay and usually the 10s and or 100s relay.
The ball index relay will release just after the ball count unit advances and just before the outhole kicker fires.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Poor Man's Pinball Podcast has posted a new reply in the thread "Poor Man's Pinball Podcast".
      Back