Help Set and save individual camera views for each table?

DavidVanScouten

Freispiel!
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Back To The Future
Hello community,

I have installed FP+BAM for some time now and also watched Terry Red's "Simple...fast...then Play" video.
Since BAM is so extensive, I would like to know if it is possible to set individual camera views for each table immediately after starting the table.
The default views are not optimal for me, because I have to press 'F11' every time and see if the view is complete if something is not displayed.
As default view I use 'F2' first and correct it every time with 'F11'.

Can I set and save something for each individual table in BAM?

See my tutorial here

Thanks Gimli, you're my hero! :D

@DavidVanScouten
The feature I didn't explain yet and the one that you likely want is configuring the "C" key function in BAM
If you load a table and press "Q" to enter menu and then choose the second option from the top "Camera"
you can configure your preferred camera views that you can use for all tables by pressing "C" on the keyboard.

Again choosing the values is a little confusing but it is described in my tutorial.
The "Eye" values are where you are looking from
the "At" values are where you are looking to

You can get these values in the table editor by placing mouse initially where you will be "Standing" while playing (read and record the x, y values at bottom left of the screen) and then place mouse where you will be looking ( again read and record the x, y values at the bottom left of the screen)

The "Z" values refer to elevation from the table and you will be looking down while playing so the Z "Eye" values" therefore should be greater than the Z "At" values.

"FOV" is the field of view or magnification value

"Delay" is the time that BAM will take to smoothly transition from the current view to your set Camera view

Clear as mud ?

Last edited:
Would it be possible to simply use the Manual Camera F11, and position the view to where you want... then be able to simply press a key / use a menu item to "capture" that position automatically? I like the fov that FP uses...so I just want to be able to move to the position I like, then hit a key....done. Now it's assigned to the table or global "C" camera view.

Would it be possible to simply use the Manual Camera F11, and position the view to where you want... then be able to simply press a key / use a menu item to "capture" that position automatically?

Rav explained it to me ,of course it is possible, I did it for krull
after you have positioned, the "camera" with F11..... press SHIFT+ENTER.then CTRL+C ,then Exit game,go the script CTRL+V

after you have positioned, the "camera" with F11..... press SHIFT+ENTER.then CTRL+C ,then Exit game,go the script CTRL+V

I should have done this on Phantom of the Opera. There are lights that spell out PHAMTOM on the back wall that are not visible on the F2 view. It is getting to the point where there is too much of this stuff to remember.

I should have done this on Phantom of the Opera. There are lights that spell out PHAMTOM on the back wall that are not visible on the F2 view. It is getting to the point where there is too much of this stuff to remember.

Doesnt work for me. I have tried all combination and different tables, but couldn't paste something into the script. What i am doing wrong ? :(

Jens....
what does not work for you? sorry for the question, but I have to understand what you are referring to
you're referring to something about Phantom of the Opera, on my explanation about the "custom camera" ?

I wish I could help you if I can

Jens....
what does not work for you? sorry for the question, but I have to understand what you are referring to
you're referring to something about Phantom of the Opera, on my explanation about the "custom camera" ?

I wish I could help you if I can
Thanks Wild,
Yes, I have tried what you have posted about the position for the table, so that i can see the whole table.
I can not copy amd paste the table position into the script. I don't know what i am doing wrong.
I thought with your methode it is possible to start the table with a cosutmized view of the table, or i am wrong ?
Do i have to do something before ? I use the latest BAM 1.5-294.

Ok,Jens.... I think you did nothing wrong, but instead maybe I, I forgot to say other things....the version of Bam, it's ok, that's not the problem.

if you have to create a "custom camera" on a table that is not provided in any other way with this function, then you have proceed like so (later I will make a video).

1) put in the script this xBAM.Camera.RequestForControl and choose "allow" when you open the table
2) press F11,and set camera in location you want
3) go to Bam key Q, and go to the camera
4) move the cursor three points down
5) press SHIFT+ENTER (you will create new values)
6) Press CTRL+C (you copied the values)
7) exit of the table (press ESC)
8) Go to script CTRL+V (pasted the new value)

obviously this new "custom camera" you created must work through an object an example: a trigger, a kicker, etc etc
you will see it in the video

to return to the normal "camera" (ie the one set in FP).... always with a trigger use this code xBAM.Camera.DesktopRelease time
Sub Trigger2_Hit()
xBAM.Camera.DesktopRelease time
End Sub

View attachment CCDEMO.mp4

View attachment video2.mp4

Attachments

• CustomCameraDemo.fpt
    225 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Ok,Jens.... I think you did nothing wrong, but instead maybe I, I forgot to say other things....the version of Bam, it's ok, that's not the problem.

if you have to create a "custom camera" on a table that is not provided in any other way with this function, then you have proceed like so (later I will make a video).

1) put in the script this xBAM.Camera.RequestForControl and choose "allow" when you open the table
2) press F11,and set camera in location you want
3) go to Bam, and go to the camera
4) move the cursor three points down
5) press SHIFT+ENTER (you will create new values)
6) Press CTRL+C (you copied the values)
7) exit of the table (press ESC)
8) Go to script CTRL+V (pasted the new value)

obviously this new "custom camera" you created must work through an object an example: a trigger, a kicker, etc etc
you will see it in the video

to return to the normal "camera" (ie the one set in FP).... always with a trigger use this code xBAM.Camera.DesktopRelease time
Sub Trigger2_Hit()
xBAM.Camera.DesktopRelease time
End Sub

You are my Hero Wild. :)

It works perfectly now with your help and the both Videos. :)
I have the Trigger positioned in the plangerlane. If I push the Plunger the whole table will be showed in the postion that i have done with F11.

My fault was that i have forgotten to install the correct programm lines to the script. :(

Thank you Wild
Best regards Jens

I'm glad I helped :)

this is the same way I did in krull, and it is a really effective method, even in multiball, in my tables, for to create a full playfield view (fixed camera) I had to put a very demanding code in multiball, because I had to put the "createcaptiveball" code to each kicker to get a full playfield view during multiball

now instead with this method just enter this code xBAM.Camera.DesktopSet 300, 1533.8, 500, 300, 750, 0, 50, 400
which is equivalent to Fp "fixed camera" for use in multiball

try it, Jeans, and let me know

@wild
@Gimli
@ravarcade
@GeorgeH

This works great.

I'd really like to know if there is a way to override the need for the prompt. I understand Rav's precaution for wanting to make sure the player knows that the table may change view on them... but not everyone wants to use this in that way.

I just want to give the desktop user a better static view that won't move the table during gameplay at all (it uses the new camera view on startup and stays there), and will show the entire playfield and backwall, with the apron cut off which is the perfect view. Some tables are different than others, so the need for being able to have a new default view per table is essential in my opinion.

I just want the option to not require that prompt, as for the way I would use it, I would make it so the user needs to enable it in the table script as a USER TABLE OPTION (like I do with all my mods). this way the user is enabling this option themselves, and knows that it will be different,etc.

I appreciate the precaution you have for the player.... but I can't think of any player that would complain about the view moving more then they would about needing to DENY camera control everytime they start the table. If they don't like the camera moving then that opton can be asigned to a Special button,etc.

An option in script should be an acceptable alternative, and makes for a nicer seamless experience for table startup and attract sequences,etc.

I don't like the prompt either. In fact, I usually figure out a way to avoid getting the prompt even though I am OK with the camera view changing.

I don't like the prompt either. In fact, I usually figure out a way to avoid getting the prompt even though I am OK with the camera view changing.

If you have a method to avoid the prompt while still allowing the camera view to change...please share. :)

@TerryRed The only method is to make the camera view not work. I would rather do that than to deal with the messages.

@TerryRed The only method is to make the camera view not work. I would rather do that than to deal with the messages.

Could you explain how you are doing that and show the code example?

@TerryRed Well, you just delete the code and there is no control of the camera. There is no way to turn the notices off and still have control of the camera.

@TerryRed Well, you just delete the code and there is no control of the camera. There is no way to turn the notices off and still have control of the camera.

Ah, I misunderstood. Yes, I already have that as an option in the table script.

What I did was add an option for the user to use a new "static camera" view. So if the user has camera control enabled AND this new static camera option, then the user gets prompted for camera control. If they accept it will switch to the new camera view. When the game switches to SLAM's multiball views, it still stays static. I do let the table look at the backglass (for death star videos) and then it returns to the static view.

If they don't enable the static camera, then SLAM's camera control works an normal.

Code:
' ****** Custom Camera views ******

If useCameraControl = TRUE then       'prompt User for choice of Camera Control when table is loaded and starts
    If (xBAM.Camera.ScriptControl = FALSE) Then
        xBAM.Camera.RequestForControl
    End If
End If

Sub CameraView_Mutliball
    If useCameraControl = false then Exit Sub
    if useNew_Static_Camera_View = true then CameraView_Default: Exit Sub
    xBAM.Camera.DesktopSet          254.2,  1185.4,   691.7,   254.2,   597.5,       0,      50,    500
    xBAM.Camera.DesktopSetLookAt    254.2,  1185.4,   691.7,   254.2,   597.5,       0,      50,    500
End Sub

Sub CameraView_Default
    if useNew_Static_Camera_View = true then
        xBAM.Camera.DesktopSet     258,  1151.9,   585.7,     257,   570.1,       0,      50,     400
        Exit Sub
    End If
    xBAM.Camera.DesktopRelease
End Sub

Sub CameraView_LookAtBackBox
    xBAM.Camera.DesktopSet          259.3,   861.6,   502.7,   260.2,   361.7,   511.7,      50,    500
    xBAM.Camera.DesktopSetLookAt    259.3,   861.6,   502.7,   260.2,   361.7,   511.7,      50,    500
End Sub

@TerryRed Making it so the end user can turn it off is the best option you can provide unless we convince Rav to remove the notice.

@TerryRed Making it so the end user can turn it off is the best option you can provide unless we convince Rav to remove the notice.

Yah, that's what useCameraControl option is for...so the user doesn't get any prompt....but they won't be able to use the better static view foe desktop view. the choices are there either way for now.

@TerryRed

ok, but without this message, how could the user know if this table has the function of "custom camera"?
if you use the custom camera, it is right to inform people, and with "deny" and "allow", it is a great thing, as far as I'm concerned....

obviously I am speaking for those who have a desktop as me, but for those who have a cabinet it is different,those who have a cabinet, use only a fixed camera.

@TerryRed

ok, but without this message, how could the user know if this table has the function of "custom camera"?
if you use the custom camera, it is right to inform people, and with "deny" and "allow", it is a great thing, as far as I'm concerned....

obviously I am speaking for those who have a desktop as me, but for those who have a cabinet it is different,those who have a cabinet, use only a fixed camera.

What I'm using is a new "static" view on desktop that is nicer to view the entire playfield.

This custom camera option will only work if the user enables it in the table script. So they would know if that custom view is being used, since they are the one who enabled it. Many people want to be able to set something like this one time and never have to be prompted each time the table loads, as they will never change that option,

Many FP tables (without BAM) will change the view to look at the backbox while playing, and the user has no choice or option to change that. I don't see why this should be considered any different. Especially if the author is giving the "option" to the player to set this in the table script.

I would give them the option for both getting the prompt and choosing a custom view in the script. You can't make it any easier than that.

ok, when you talk about "new "static" view on desktop".......this "static" are you referring to a single view?
i mean you while playing you only have that option "camera static "? if so everything makes sense

Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back