Sega South Park (Sega, 1999) (portals won't show)

webcs

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
creature
Have a south park, one owner so brand new really still.

Description of issue:
Machine comes up, screen has insert quarters and sound
then goes blank

Try to open up the door and hit on the portals button
I hear the portals intro sound
but BLANK screen

Machine wont do anything but flash its lighting.

Can't access as can't access portals. Any thoughts?

:welcome1: to the site. a few things to check are LED's on the driver board. 4 LED's in a row that are checking for 12v , 20v , 18v , and 50v. a single LED upper right side of board checks the blanking signal. and a single LED upper left side of board checking the 5v. the blanking LED usually blinks , the other 5 LED's should be always lit at a full brightness. if the 5v LED is not at full brightness , a adjustment pot just left of the 5v LED can be adjusted slightly to increase the 5v , i would have the machine turned off when adjusting pot. the next thing to check is on the CPU board. since the backglass is lit by a fluorescent bulb or tube , if any of the eprom protective window stickers has fell off , the fluorescent bulb is capable of erasing the chip programming.

Wow this is very helpful indeed.

The blanking led on mine is located in the upper right, not sure if mine is backwards and the 5V led in the upper left.

5V strong and full
Blanking led blinks twice them goes solid

The bank of four LEDs below two are on and two are off
L200 and L201 are off

Really appreciate this - this is a home unit that has never touched am arcade

check and see if L200 and L201 come back on when the coin door is closed. the DMD lites up and says insert coins. does the DMD stay lit after that and looses the sound. does the coin switches add credits and does the replay button start a new game even if the display isnt on. and is the game playable. if the portal button is pushed and you hear a bong noise it means that the machine is now in portals or trying to get in. once in portals , read and find out exactly how many advances it will take to go into a test(such as controlled lamps or solenoid test) and see if the test is working without the DMD lit.

Sorry forum didn't tell me you replied, update below

check and see if L200 and L201 come back on when the coin door is closed.

- L200 does not

the DMD lites up and says insert coins. does the DMD stay lit after that and looses the sound.

- Doesn't all it does is blink the version over and over. And this is after getting a brand new replacement motherboard just now.

does the coin switches add credits and does the replay button start a new game even if the display isnt on.

- Inserted quarters does nothing

and is the game playable.

- no

if the portal button is pushed and you hear a bong noise it means that the machine is now in portals or trying to get in.

You here a bong but the screen just continues to flash the version screen

once in portals , read and find out exactly how many advances it will take to go into a test(such as controlled lamps or solenoid test) and see if the test is working without the DMD lit.

The portals buttons all make noise yes.

So as I have installed a brand new cpu motherboard the symptoms have change slightly.

On startup version screen appears and then flashes on and off
All LEDs strong including the 5v one except L200 which does not show
When you try to go into portals you hear it but screen still just flashes on and off.

Questions answered above as well.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: GotBrawndo is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back