Williams Solved Star Pool (Williams, 1974) resetting when points are scored

Sonora70

Pinball Nudger
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Bid Deal
Williams Star Pool. Working great then developed an issue multiple resets when the ball would drain. Now the machine goes through a full reset when the spinner is turning and another 10 pt switch is hit at the same time. Process:

Spin the spinner (each connection as it spins gives 10 points)
While spinning hit another 10 point switch
Machine resets as if you hit the start button. Scoring wheels go back to zero and the ball release coil fires, etc....

Again,
I've been playing it with no problems, in fact playing it a lot. Then it began multiple ball return resets when shooting the ball into the firing lane after the ball drains during the game. I attempted to fix that and now this problem is occurring. I have gone back through everything.....

Any tips????

Solution
thank you for the pic. whats most important here is the wire connections. none of the connections or bare wires should not touch each other when the stack is screwed down. the bottom blade where the screwdriver is pointing does not have a connection. its hard to tell from the pic , but the 2nd and 3rd connection from the top may be touching.
clarification

it seems like the problem has been narrowed down to the 2 impulse cam stack switches. try to slip a small strip of paper inbetween the top 2 connections of the 4 switch stack and retest for problem. then move the paper inbetween the 2nd and 3rd connections and retest each time you move the paper. then do the same on the other impulse cam single switch , inbetween the 2 connectors , then the bottom connector to the frame. a pic of the un-screwed 4 switch stack of its side view of its connections may be needed. the insulating wafers of the stack can come apart easily. try and wrap a piece of tape around it to help keep the stack together.

Will do.....what am I looking for specifically? I assume I am to resolder the wires on the 1-2 and 3-4 relays before doing this test? Thanks.

Progress???

it seems like the problem has been narrowed down to the 2 impulse cam stack switches. try to slip a small strip of paper inbetween the top 2 connections of the 4 switch stack and retest for problem. then move the paper inbetween the 2nd and 3rd connections and retest each time you move the paper. then do the same on the other impulse cam single switch , inbetween the 2 connectors , then the bottom connector to the frame. a pic of the un-screwed 4 switch stack of its side view of its connections may be needed. the insulating wafers of the stack can come apart easily. try and wrap a piece of tape around it to help keep the stack together.

Okay, soldered the wires back onto the 1-2 and 3-4 relays. Placed a piece of paper between each of the switches on the 4 switch stack. Results were the same until I got to the base....the longest leaf above the wheel. When I place the paper between that base leaf and the leaf above it the machine did not reset.

I went ahead and did the test on the single cam switch as well. Machine still went into the reset mode. Some other examples of events were the score motor continued to run, etc... when testing the various switches as I assume is normal.

Again, when placing the paper between the bottom base leaf and the leaf above on the 4 switch stack the machine acted as it should. Is it making connection and shouldn't be?

something in the 4 switch stack should be the problem. can you post a pic of what i asked of the connections side view?

something in the 4 switch stack should be the problem. can you post a pic of what i asked of the connections side view?

Here is the picture. The screw driver blade is pointing toward the area that when the paper is placed the machine seems to act as it should. Could the bottom of the switch above be arcing on the rivet on the base leaf and creating the problem? If so, is the problem fixed by slightly bending the switch up a little to keep it from touching?

thank you for the pic. whats most important here is the wire connections. none of the connections or bare wires should not touch each other when the stack is screwed down. the bottom blade where the screwdriver is pointing does not have a connection. its hard to tell from the pic , but the 2nd and 3rd connection from the top may be touching.

Solution
Progress.......

After noticing the results of the test you asked me to do....I had to try my hunch. I adjusted the leaf switch just above the base leaf on the 4 switch stack as I suspected the they were making contact. I believe the bottom of the switch above was making contact with the rivet on the base leaf.

After a slight adjustment the game seems to be working perfectly.

Hopefully this is the step I should have taken....I'm just not comfortable "messing" with the score motor and its switches. This is the second situation that has required maintenance on the switches on the score motor of this pinball.

This has really made me pull my hair out. It's been a great learning experience. I appreciate your knowledge of pinballs and even more the fact that you are willing to help us newbies in diagnosing our machines.

I think you posted while I was posting....I did check all the switches to see that they were not touching, they seem to be clear of each other. I believe the bottom blade was being pushed up into the other switch when the stack was screwed down. I guess it was caused by the recent play on the machine? Again, thanks for your help....I had no idea where to even begin. Maybe one of these days I can use some of this experience to help someone else.

In processing everything, I'm wondering if instead of my switch adjustment seemingly fixing the problem if it could have been that maybe the switch stack was not aligned well enough? Maybe one of the leads may have been touching then ensuring the stack was straight when I reattached it may have taken care of the problem. Just a thought because when I reattached the stack I made it a point to make sure they were lined up straight.

congrats on getting your machine working. im sorry it took so long, but thats how some problems are. im sorry i didnt explain my problem solving logic better, its just basic understanding of schematics. thank you for following my advice and instructions and responding with good info and pics. thank you for the private message, it made me feel good while reading it.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back