Sega Starship Troopers (Sega, 1997) New Whitestar CPU board has issues

Tech Dad

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Baby Pac Man
@pinballdaveh

Greetings,
First time poster here. Need some advise.

I installed a (new) Whitestar CPU board for a guy that purchased it for his Starship Troopers Pinball. (his old board was rotten with alkaline beyond repair).
We installed the 4 sound ROMs and the game ROM from the old board. And I adjusted the 5 volt.
This is what's going on with new board.

(1) It took a long time to boot (before self test began) the first time we powered it up. All LEDs were on but no display, then it finally started self test. Each additional power up, it did it a little faster but still way longer than normal.

(2) The menu will not allow going to the "Sega" entry to change any settings.

(3) When in the menu, each time you push a button for the next selection, it takes a long time before it appears on the display. If you push several times without waiting, all the selections do eventually show on the display one at a time. But it takes about 15 to 30 seconds for each one to show up.

(4) The game plays but occasionally just ends a game (not resetting, just everything stops and goes into attract). Sometimes when a ball goes into a target hole, it takes a while before the game knows it is there.

Give me some advice here. Did I miss something? Should I have swapped any other chips from the old board?

Tech Dad

@pinballdaveh

Greetings,
First time poster here. Need some advise.

I installed a (new) Whitestar CPU board for a guy that purchased it for his Starship Troopers Pinball. (his old board was rotten with alkaline beyond repair).
We installed the 4 sound ROMs and the game ROM from the old board. And I adjusted the 5 volt.
This is what's going on with new board.

(1) It took a long time to boot (before self test began) the first time we powered it up. All LEDs were on but no display, then it finally started self test. Each additional power up, it did it a little faster but still way longer than normal.

(2) The menu will not allow going to the "Sega" entry to change any settings.

(3) When in the menu, each time you push a button for the next selection, it takes a long time before it appears on the display. If you push several times without waiting, all the selections do eventually show on the display one at a time. But it takes about 15 to 30 seconds for each one to show up.

(4) The game plays but occasionally just ends a game (not resetting, just everything stops and goes into attract). Sometimes when a ball goes into a target hole, it takes a while before the game knows it is there.

Give me some advice here. Did I miss something? Should I have swapped any other chips from the old board?

Tech Dad
I’m sorry I don’t have any experience in whitestar. I think that you’re best help might be stern tech support, or technicians capable of testing the cpu.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Damonogy48 is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back