Started on Mata Hari...

scapino

Pinball Wizard
Solutions
Reaction score
Here's the first wip. Graphic re-done, and holes drilled.
I should be able to do this table relativly quickly (compared to JM, CV, or CFTBL... :) )

MataHariWIP01.jpg

Kurt

Nice start,Kurt. :thumleft:

Fantastic to be able to watch the birth of a table from scratch! Thanks for caring to share!

Added the plastic posts and GI Lights.

MataHariWIP02.jpg

Kurt

Here's the next WIP. Walls, Rubbers and Plastics added.

MataHariWIP03.jpg

Kurt

Lots more done today. Pop Bumpers, Inserts and Playfield lights, switches and the cabinet.

MataHariWIP05.jpg

Kurt

Man, that was fast. And it looks good too.

(I suppose i can not talk you into making the white lights a little more orangish?) :poke: :joker:

I tried warmer looking lites, and though they look a little more realistic, they completly kill the colors of the playfield (especially since I do "dark" tables, with little or no ambient light.)

Remember, I don't strive for real realism, more of an idealized realism. I'm sure if Bally was able to put lamps in the table that burned pure white, they would have, but such things havn't existed till halogens came out, and they'd be too expensive, and WAY to hot for playfield use..... :)

The colors on Mata Hari (Purple, Pink and Red) are so close together, that any red in the lighting blends them together.

Kurt

I was just pulling your leg.

I know its your style, and although i would like more 'realistic' white lights way better i realize that every artist has their own way of making whatever they make.

Just keep up the good work. If you need an old SolidState veteran to playtest it feel free to send me a copy when its done,...:scholar:

EDIT: I just noticed that 'SS veteran' is a very poor choice of words. I changed it accordingly,...

SS Veteran.... :) Glad you caught that;)

I'll put you on the "list" for testing!

Kurt

wow that WAS quick! it's always amazing to watch a genius at work doing what he loves! I always liked your tables and now can actually watch a birth of one. I am a fan of you and truespace (I tried it but can't figure it out without a manual for it; at 258 pages it's a tad too large to print out, sigh) and my computer can't handle having it open AND truespace open at the same time. also both times I downloaded it it came with a virus (Employee keystroke monitor, which duplicates all my keystrokes to someone else's computer somewhere else in the world!) just a little fyi to anyone else who is looking to d/load it! check it for virus's first!!
Anyhow, keep up all that fantastic work and I can't wait to play yet another Scapino masterpiece!!

Thanks, faralos! TS 7.6 is free, you should download it from Caligaris own site. No Viri there.... :)

Also, I only use the modeler side of TrueSpace for my tables, so if you do the same, you can save some memory by turning off the "bridge", and only running in the modeler side. TS 7.6 is actually 2 programs in 1. The newer "Workspace" side that has real time rendering/ modeling in DX9, and the "Modeler" side, which is equivalent to the older TS 6.6. The renders I do use the "Lightwave" renderer, which is only available on the modeler side.

TS defaults to having both the workspace and modeler linked together, so anything you build in the modeler is built in the workspace as well, and vice-versa. This use up a tremendous amount of ram.

Its always a good idea to stick to one side or the other, and turn the bridge off, so stuff isnt duplicated on both sides.

Kurt

Almost done modeling. Just need to redo a couple plastics, and add a bunch of hardware.

MataHariWIP06.jpg

Kurt

I finished modeling the table.
Now to create the VPM table....

MataHariWIP07.jpg

Kurt

gorgeous as always! Great work!! I can't wait to play it!

What a beauty. :thumleft:

I think it will be for VP9. There is nothing in it like overlapping transparent em reels in Johnny Mnemonic, which precluded that one from being VP9.

VP 9 does have better physics. I'll check it so that it will work in either version.

Kurt

I think it will be for VP9. There is nothing in it like overlapping transparent em reels in Johnny Mnemonic, which precluded that one from being VP9.

VP 9 does have better physics. I'll check it so that it will work in either version.

Kurt

Sounds good! BTW are you making
a flipperless version out of it? :D

No, VP handles the flippers... :)

I don't use rendered flippers anymore (they never really match up well anyway).

Kurt

No, VP handles the flippers... :)

I don't use rendered flippers anymore (they never really match up well anyway).

Kurt

Yes,I knew that......Was just kiddin' :D

Last edited:
Looks great Kurt, and you've made it so quick ???
I'm wrapped as soon I'll have a daytime game ( JP's )
and when yours is ready I can play it at night :D
Awesome ...

Matt :)

I knew you were kidding, Pete! ;)

Thanks, Matt.

The normal 4:3 table is just about done, so now I'm beginning the cabinet version.

This render represents the top down view, including the psudo 3d effect, of being rendered from head hight just in front of the machine, then perspective corrected, so you are just about looking straight down on the flippers, and the table becomes more 3d towards the back.

I used a simular technique with the tables I did for the UltraPin, except they were from a totally far away angle to flatten the field, instead of the field being flattened after the fact.

Heres the wip...

MataHariWIP09.jpg

Kurt

hey, Future Pinball's ArcadeRender mode doesn't do that. :) That looks quite nice Kurt.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back