Thank goodness for the VP/FP forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
I saw a two hour special on TV Friday evening that really made me aware of how important our network of forums are. The special was about men who are online sexual predators, and it turned my stomach. Working with a group whose focus is on uncovering these sick perverts, a southern California county arrested 50 men of all ages over a two day period. The worst part was that many of the sickos were "registered sex offenders" and had done jail time for the same crime in the past.

We might not always get along, or at least not always agree, but at least our hobby is pinball and not underage girls. Thank God we have these forums to fuss and fume at one another about all sorts of dumb things, it's sure a lot better, and a lot healthier than what could be happening.

Last edited:
How can you be "sexual predator" online.....what are these guys doing? Hanging around in IRC channels and set up dates....?

By the way....I got my first Internet connection 1991.....way before Web....and I have never spent a MINUTE on IRC....never. I can understand why people with lousy social skills get addicted to it tho'.....

What's IRC? Sorry for dumb question. And, not used here, but in another thread and from interests too, what is a SOB? And what does NSA mean?

Dumb shortcuts!?! I will never understand. :cry: :lol:

About the problem, I don't think any forum would prevent people with that disposition (?) from crime.

Yeah...SOB is a son of a bitch.
I don't use instant messenger anymore, not for that reason though, but I see where this problem is coming from. I don't get those people.

kristian said:
How can you be "sexual predator" online.....what are these guys doing? Hanging around in IRC channels and set up dates....?

By the way....I got my first Internet connection 1991.....way before Web....and I have never spent a MINUTE on IRC....never. I can understand why people with lousy social skills get addicted to it tho'.....

According to the TV show, thses creeps log onto teen chat rooms and when they see a picture of a youngster they want, they start a private chat and lure them with filthy talk and promises of gifts. Apparently they get very graphic and detailed with their messages.

The internet has certainly caused a lot of problems with sexual predators. I drill into my daughter's head that she is never to give her name, address etc on the net. Actually one of the best things we have done lately is give my daughter our old computer. The good thing is that it is no longer connected to the net so she doesn't go online so often. Now that she is old enough to come home from school on her own we need to make sure she doesn't use the net when we're not there.

As for IRC I've never been able to work out how to use it. Mainly this is through lack of interest. I have used Usenet for years, since before the web existed and along with discussion forums like this I don't see any need for IRC. I know the kids like it but I will make sure that my daughter doesn't go near the creeps on the net although it is impossible to do permanent surveillance.

I don't think this is the same world that I grew up in.

DS

yogiholzer said:
What's IRC? Sorry for dumb question. And, not used here, but in another thread and from interests too, what is a SOB? And what does NSA mean?

IRC is short for "Internet Relay Chat", one of the early real-time (RT) net chat protocols.

NSA stands for No Strings Attached. I'm sure you can figure it out from there. :)

And yea - SOB is a sum' bitch! :lol:

I use iRC when necessary - it's about as useful as telnet to correct problems, do quick DNS lookups, and get a few songs or games/movies in the process. :) I still think AOL's chatrooms are much more dangerous than iRC ever could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back