The Body of Christ.

speaking of red hots, do they sell chili beer or anything like that in your neck of oz? seems like a good fit for you, and i can most certainly vouch for it- it's the best mexican lager i've ever had:

hot-chili-beer-300-md.jpg

huge closeup shot:
http://mark-lawton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMAGE_622.jpg

mmm...I'll have to have a look see at the local bottle shop next time I'm there. We do get many imported beers and I have tried chilli beer before at the Brass Monkey in Perth, a few years back. It was a reasonable drop as I recall, though not anything I'd rave about, although strangely refreshing in the hot weather.

Link to the Brass Monkey: http://www.thebrassmonkey.com.au/

so these wafers a slice of devils food cake , some hellacious beer
and 'purgatory' pie and I am all set :)
i wonder if they are 'blessed' before they hit the shelves?
and if an Atheist eats them would he then become 'saved'

and that beer has got to be better than that crap the budweiser is pushing
they came out with a tequila flavored beer that just sucks

Beer? Did someone say beer?! I like to recreate one from the local bar by me. It's called a Gummybeer. It's 1/2 Line's (Linenkugels) Sunset Wheat, 1/2 Line's Berry Weiss in the same glass mixed with lemon. It has a sweet and sour thing going on. Or I still have some Schlitz left over... (yes, they still make it).

Wow... fascinating article from an ex-altar boy's POV. I used to eat communion wafers by the handful (non-consecrated ones... it's not like I wanted to take the express train to Hell). I wonder if the the corporate communion wafers taste any better? I'd almost feel sorry for those poor nuns, except the majority of nuns I dealt with were dried-up old bitches, so that makes sympathy difficult.
My favorite part, the one that defines all that is beautiful and ugly about the Catholic church, was the 1,000-year schism that was caused by a wafer recipe. " 'To Serve Jesus' is a cookbook!"

Last edited:
First time I saw that kind of brew, it was Crazy Ed's Pepper Beer with a chili in the bottle back in the 1980's. I'm surprised it's still around, even if Crazy Ed isn't.

Around Southern California Bud is available with Clamato Picante. It's called something like Bud Light Chilada:

http://www.clamato.com/en/products/clamatopicante.aspx

But the preferred brew among the locals is a Corona Cerveza. Just take a spoonful of Picante Sauce, or add your own limes.

Faralos, it is not a Margarita-flavored Bud. It's Bud with Lime, not Bud with Worms. Not the same thing at all...or are they selling a margarita-flavored Bud where you live?

the clamato picante stuff is yummy on it's own, but adding picante sauce to mexican lagers is a far cry from the peppers aged right in the bottles. it might seem like the same idea, but the taste is very different and very inferior IME.

and corona instead of sol? ouch! not sure what those guys are thinking...

@steve,
you ever make lagers? maybe you could drop in a couple chilies and see what happens? :D

I used to brew my own ales, ales use a far more robust type of yeast that also acts as a preservative and creates a bottle condition beer that improves with age. Ale yeast survives and ferments in temperatures from 15C to 30C where as a lager yeast ferments at 5C to 10C, so you need to brew them in a fridge. Lagers are filtered then artificially gassed and must be stored at low temperatures to keep, so are somewhat impractical for home brewing in hotter climates.

Still a light chilli Ale is doable and I have read recipes for them though never got around making one, it's done by adding 5 or 6 chopped chilli at the primary fermentation stage. I used add additional flavouring hops by simmering them in water for 5 to 10 minutes so to make a chilli ale it would be just a matter of adding them in with the hops.

The recipes I used to make, out of those I'd say the Amber Ale would the one to chilli up.

Golden Brown Bitter Ale -

Ingredients :

1 can of Coopers Bitter
1Kg Dextrose
250g dried corn syrup
15g Fuggles hop pellets
1 tsp corn flour

Final specific gravity - 1008

Method :

Simmer hops in small saucepan in 750ml to 1L of water for 5 to 10 minutes.

Mix dry ingredients together in sealed container (eg a lettuce crisper).

Mix Kit, hot water, dry ingredients and strain hop water into fermenter, top up with cold water to 22.5L. Add yeast and stir then seal lid with airlock in place.

Notes :

The 1tsp of corn flour provides head retention, if using a 25L fermenter fill to 18L mark, then after 1 to 2 days top up to 22.5L mark to aviod frothing through airlock.

These recipes will produce a tasty powerful brew (5.5% alc/vol).

Following the above methods, the ingredients are substitutable. For example -

Superior Old Dark Ale -

1 can of Coopers Old
750g dextrose
500g dried light malt
15g Fuggles hop pellets
1 tsp corn flour

Final specific gravity - 1010

Awesome Amber Ale -

1 can of Coopers Draught
1Kg Dextrose
250g dried corn syrup
15g Cascade hop pellets
1 tsp corn flour

Coffee Stout -

1 can of Coooper Stout
1kg dried dark malt
500g dried corn syrup
100g Lyons Freeze dried Columbian Coffee (instant)
20g Fuggles hops
15ml liquorice extract
1tsp corn flour

Final specific gravity - 1016

Notes :

Brew as with other recipes but only top up to 18L
15L if using 25L fermenter, then top up to 18L after 1 to 2 days.

Alc/vol - 7.2%, this is a great rich winter brew, but be warned as this is 'morish' and the more you drink the less you sleep.

Incredible India Pale Ale -

1 can of Coopers IPA
1kg dextrose
250g dried corn syrup
10g Fuggles hops
10g Cascade hops
1tsp corn flour

-------

i thought that the yeast consuming the sugars in the mash naturally produced bubbles in lagers as well. had no idea they need to be artificially gassed. geez.

anyway, that list sounds delicious. kudos again on making your own, since i've only ever been an assistant. not to mention, i can't even drink beer anymore. :(

random note: roger federer versus rafael nadal in thirty minutes or something, watchable online-
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/video/live.html

can't wait...

i thought that the yeast consuming the sugars in the mash naturally produced bubbles in lagers as well. had no idea they need to be artificially gassed. geez.

If the brew is filtered that gets rid of the carbonation and it has to be replaced artificially.

The other reason it is done is some types of yeast die under pressure, so if you want a higher alcohol content you don't let the pressure build during fermentation. Then you have to add carbonation after. Different types of yeast taste different, so that's why they use different types, the strain developed for champagne can keep growing under high pressure.

I don't know if the commercial manufacturers are filtering the brews using something like a sieve filter or ???, but traditionally it is done as a fining of the ferment in order to clarify the beer, ale, or wine; to remove the cloudy yeasts and side products like excess sulfur and copper which may be stoxic. The ferment itself is not toxic like the residues of sulfur and copper in excess, but if you get a skunky beer, it is because it hasn't been sufficiently clarified of its sulfurs and metals, perhaps by deliberate intent.

Back in the 70's, I think the technical term for trapping and reinserting the carbon dioxide during and after fining the ferment was krausination; to krausinate the result after clarification by fining, but I can't find it on The Net and it's been so long ago, I don't even care, but I found the brewing supply site at the end of this reply just now and note that the name of the website is E.C. Krause, so I'm probably not as forgetful as I may seem to myself!

When the carbonated brews or sparkling wines are clarified or filtered, the finings release the gas by reaction, so it is usually not a matter of artificial carbonation from an external source of carbon dioxide. Usually the brewer or wine master catches the gas released during the fining process and reinserts the same gas back into the ferment under pressure after clarification, however, the gas may be filtered by carbon/charcoal before reinsertion.

A traditional champagne is not clarified, which is why there is a fine sediment at the bottle of a classic champagne. Often when the ferment produces a stable sediment that stays on the bottom of the bottle without kicking up like a dust cloud when poured, then as a traditional drink it may not be clarified. Clarification is usually practiced for ferments that produce a cloudy solute or a toxic side product which may cause hangovers, distress, to remove it.

As a side note, fining is done to remove excess sulfur, but bi-sulfites (Campden Tablets, bi-sulfite powders) are typically added to ferments in order to kill the yeasts; to stop fermentation once the approximate desired level of alcohol from the yeast fermentation is reached. Using sulfurs to control alcohol production is the commercial quick and dirty method for controlling strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finings

http://www.eckraus.com/campden-tablets-100.html

Well lager yeast floats on the surface, ale yeast sinks to the bottom, finings causes all yeasts to sink. Finings are not needed for an ale as the bulk of the beer is decanted from the primary fermenter leaving the bulk of the yeast behind. A tiny amount of yeast remains and on bottling a small amount of priming sugar is used to activate that yeast to carbonate the brew, the live yeast also acts as a preservative. It stays alive in the bottle maturing the ale. Although carbonation is complete in 7 to 10 days and the Ale ready to drink, if left to mature for at least a month and up to 3 months is best, it becomes pure nectar. I've had Ales over a year old and they were fine, although not much changes after 3 months, by then the yeast in the bottle has completely consumed all remaining sugars and sunk to the bottom sticking there, so it is possible to pour a clear ale.

Although you can use finings and filter then artificially gas an ale as well, to me that's just not the same as a bottle conditioned brew, although it saves you having to use bottles at all as you can just keg the whole brew.

interesting, thanks. i tend to learn this stuff, then forget it later because i'm not doing the hands-on stuff necessary to drive it into memory. oh well.

steve, the problem for me is the CO2. even when i remove the CO2 manually, most beers are too acidic for my increasingly touchy GI system. perhaps because the CO2 forms carbolic acid with the beer as it's brewing and then sitting around prior to drinking. not totally sure.

when i drink these days, i usually have milk with a spirit and sometimes a little kahlua or bailey's or the like. my version of the big lebowski.

Hey Ike! Where ya been?

Phoenixx should be in on this thread. I remember back when the discussion was about malt beverages and I wonder what he would have to say about these.

As for GI, it might be the sulfurs from yeast or added preservatives. They behave as bi-sulfite preservatives, but I had a (non-alcoholic) O'Douls(sp?) a while back with no problems in spite of ulcers. The Doc says alcohol isn't supposed to be consumed on ulcers.

Could be my kidneys were functioning nicely at the time.

...need a new couch...

Hey Ike! Where ya been?
Welcome Ike, I was one of the bummed out users of the real vpforums.com that frowned on folks (especially admins) changing their name, this name change has only been attempted 3 times here so I hope it works ok.

Speaking of beer, I used to go to a bar in Cleveland, (Flat Iron Cafe, for you Ike) in the flats that had over 300 different varieties...:pint:

My older brother used to make beer in the late 70's, it was mostly nasty but we had to keep drinking to make him happy.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Ike,

Removing the CO2 doesn't remove the carbonic acid, but I doubt that is your problem (It's pretty weak). The sulfites react with oxygen creating sulfates (that's why they sometimes add extra sulfites, it reacts with oxygen in the air before it can ruin the brew or wine), and there are other preservatives they sneak in there that are acidic.

Removing the CO2 from drinks that don't already have other acids would help your stomach, the CO2 in your stomach would be shifting the equilibrium more to the acidic side.

My older brother used to make beer in the late 70's, it was mostly nasty but we had to keep drinking to make him happy.
:cheers:

LOL! A friend of mine made some wine that tasted like grape soda mixed with rubbing alcohol. It made keeping a straight face and telling him how good it was very difficult!

Dude, if it tasted like grape soda, it was probably Grape Kool-Aid!

I tried fermenting Kool-Aid once, but it turned into a steaming pile of khaki-puke shit, all gooey cheese. I felt so guilty when I had to ditch the shit in the dumpster ever so discreetly...to avoid detection and possible charges of creating a biological weapon.
I felt the same way later when I had to ditch some reagent Hydrochloric and Nitric Acid that I had laying around.

Do you suppose the toe jam got to it?

Ah, fermented Kool-Aid... what we call tranya!

I should have done it like a Pro.

I should have mickeyed the Kool-Aid with Night Train.

thanks for the ideas and so forth on the GI front. it's rather a long story with lots of different reactions, stages and evidences.

as for ike- yea, who is that guy?

someone who was excited about pinball, VP and VPF, i gather. seems like ancient history now. i remember coming up with a steady stream of nice VP ideas in 2002, some of which i actually implemented as tables and demos. then i got involved in the politics of the scene and the creativity pretty much disappeared, never to be seen again. ugh. can i get a do-over?

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back