Thoughts on Front-End Apps like LaunchBox?

vladaymir

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Cirqus Voltaire
launchboxpic.JPG

Hello everyone,

I was looking for an app that could organize and launch my VP/FP pinball tables and I am starting to use
LaunchBox. Do you guys use similar apps to do this? I also feel like maybe it's more of a hassle than it's worth
because I could launch the file faster than having to load LaunchBox. I tried GameEX but it seemed more complicated.

The biggest problem with frontends if you ask me is that. They need a lot of of work and only a real option (for me) if I owned a dedicated emulation rig.

And you better have a safe backup to those configuration files ;)

I tried a couple MAME frontend a few years back and they were a complete hassle. Bloated, too full of bells and whistles, and not very intuitive to use. After a little more effort, I figured out how to do what I wanted to do in vanilla MAME, which was to build custom game lists. It's slightly technical, but not difficult.

By the same token, if I was going to mess with a frontend for pin-sim stuff, I think it would only be worth it if the frontend could pull data from the global table spreadsheets. That would be something unique and valuable that would otherwise be a chore for me to deal with ordinarily. Just scrolling through those suckers is like paddling through molasses.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Wolfkell is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back