Threadbox at Frontpage

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi John,

I dont know if you saw it, but some time ago i suggested to put a latest-active-threads box on the frontpage that functions similar to that at VPF. And since the box that AJ is now using for VPFs new frontpage, (shows the 20 latest-active threads with the latest-active one always being at the top of the list), should be compatible with PNs version as well, [3.7.0 vs 3.6.8], i thought maybe you could 'borrow' it from AJ so we can have the same box here at PN too?

I think this would make PN even better, since currently the threads dont even get moved to the top when somebody has posted in it,...in fact on the frontpage there is no way to tell whether or not a thread has been recently active at all,...

What do you think?

Upvote 0
I discovered that VPF was upgraded from Phoenixx's post and was amazed, that was long overdue and is excellent! I've had a very busy summer and haven't had time for VP or read any posts for awhile....:sob:

The forum information on the front page does suck, (called a Block, currently shows recent threads added, not updated) a planned site upgrade back in June would have added more options to the front page. The vBulletin version isn't important (will be updated) but Pinball Nirvana is one of the first sites on earth to use a PostNuke-VBulletin bridge, it's the bride that provides the front page Block. (Hope that makes sense)

Hope to update the site soon!
Jon
:shaking:

Hi John,

I just saw that now there is no 'Latest-Threads' Box on the frontpage anymore at all. Not even the 'non-self-updating' one that used to be there until recently. Are you currently updating this feature or why is it suddenly gone?

Personally i really hope that you are, (updating it), because for the sake of quick orientation as for what is going on in a forum there just has to be a list on the frontpage that shows the 20 or 30 latest active threads at one glance. In my opinion this has always been the one thing that PN was missing badly in order to be really 'complete', (meaning as far as the Forum part is concerned), as a matter of fact i even think that if such a self-updating list had been there right from the start PN might have become much more popular as a forum too. (Meaning as opposed to being mainly visited for downloads.) Because from a users perspective the 'Latest-Posts-In-Latest-Active-Threads' list is like the doorknob on the main entry to the place, the big sign that says 'Here is the Action', if you know what i mean. And without this info being on the frontpage it just feels kind of 'empty', like something important is missing. And this is really too bad, because your site has so much more potential than just being a 'file-bitch'. (Pardon the expression.)

I think you know what i mean, and in case you really are about to implement this let me say big thanks in advance, not only on behalf of myself, but on behalf of all users who come to visit Pinball Nirvana,...:thumleft:

Phoenix, just click on the "New Posts" link at the top of the page. I actually prefer the way it functions here as opposed to VPF.

Yeah, got to agree that VPF's implementation of several functions leaves something to be desired! I mean, why do you have to "Mark forums as read" to clear the main catorgaries even when you've read everything? Bizzare! :D

I actually prefer the way it functions here as opposed to VPF.
So what youre saying is that not having a overview list is (in your opinion) better than having a overview list.

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me at all,...

Hermit: I was talking about the frontpage, the portal if you will, not the UserCP.

attachment.php

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 548
So what youre saying is that not having a overview list is (in your opinion) better than having a overview list.

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me at all,...
No, what I'm saying is that I prefer the way that the "New Posts" function operates here at PN as opposed to VPF.
29.gif

Straw man arguments; I'm not sorry, but that makes no sense to me at all...
68.gif

Gee, i must have misunderstood then,...:roll:

EDIT: But its nice to see that you followed my advice and read up on argumenting tactics. I hope you learned something too.

Last edited:
EDIT: But its nice to see that you followed my advice and read up on argumenting tactics. I hope you learned something too.
Gee, that rather ironic...
29.gif
I could have said something to the same effect to you multiple times in the past...
30.gif

Personally I see no point in having an active threads list on the front page. I didn't even know that VPF had one! It appears so far down the page below the barely changing news that I've never scrolled down that far. :D

At least we agree on something, huh Hermit?...
3.gif

I could have said something to the same effect to you multiple times in the past...
T'yeah, right! Like im the one whos throwing fallacies around wherever i go!

------------------------

Hermit: Youre an exception. Most people do enter the new threads via the Active Threads List, as a matter of fact it is so important to some that they even call the staff and demand Outlane Posts be blocked from showing. (Because these off-topic posts would allegedly 'push down' too many pinball related threads.) And im not only talking about VPF now, for instance we had the same discussion a couple of years back in the german Pinball Forum. (To name one place where i witnessed it.) Some people insisted on the non-pinball related threads being blocked from showing up in the list, others insisted on keeping them where they are because they are part of the daily forum activities. Now there are two kinds of frontpages, (selectable by the user like the 'HideLeftColumn' feature), one that is generating a list that shows the off-topic posts as well and another one, a 'filtered' one, that shows them not. Just goes to show how important a feature that is to some,...although i myself am glad as long as its there at all,...

There's a different Latest Posts block om the front page, the other one was replaced and the site upgrade should happen soon!

:cheers:

Thank You, John,...its much appreciated!

Definitely a step in the right direction!

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Popotte has posted a new reply in the thread "How Do I Move a DMD on the Backbox Using Script...
      Back