Try to be lazy and have me do your job? I'll let you fail... spectacularly.

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
Ah, something got in my eye when I saw this "Malicious Compliance" story just now. Really took me back, because my first HS job was about the same as this blokie's below. Note: it's a fairly long story, but... welp, I enjoyed it.

(this happened two decades ago)

Some background: My first job was at a fast food chain. I worked hard, impressed the store manager and got myself promoted. At the time, I was still 17. So, I was promoted to “Team Leader”, with implication that I would get promoted further when I was older. I was still in high school, so I worked the evening shift which started at 4 and ended at 12. The evening manager was a good guy who also worked hard and as a result had gotten promoted to a store manager position at a different location. Since they needed a manager (and I wasn’t old enough) they hired a new manager who I’ll call Karen. So Karen is hired and starts shadowing the current night manager learning the ropes. After two weeks, he departs and she is now set take over. That’s where this story really starts.

I normally get in around 30 minutes early. One of my responsibilities is to make a position chart (which tells the workers where they are working that night). I need to hand it off to the manager for approval before posting it. As I arrive, I notice one of our night shift workers is already there. We’ll call her Jen. She is sitting in the lobby crying and being consoled by other employees. I always found her to be a bit manic, but she was a nice girl. She had a rough home life, so I didn’t hold it against her. Come to find out she had just had a large fight with her mother, which ended with her getting kicked out. So, she is effectively homeless. Good reason to be upset. I ask her if she needs the night off. She says no, she needs the money. I can’t disagree and head off to get started.

For the night shift, the night manager typically runs the drive through register after day shift leaves. There are a few reasons for this. First, this means that the manager has control of the drawer (and money) for the entire night. This eliminates the possibility of employees having short drawers. Second, this also puts the manager as the person interacting with the customers. I lived in a college town so drunken guys drive through all the time and just want to chat up the pretty face behind the register. Third, it gives the manager the least amount of responsibilities as far as clean up.

So, given what I now know, I make up a position chart and place Karen on the register and Jen on a fryer where she can get help if she can’t focus. I walk to the office to hand off the chart to night manager and was surprised that he wasn’t there. He normally is in at least an hour before shift to make sure everything is ready. That’s when I remembered, this will be Karen’s first night alone. I groan inwardly. This is gonna be a “trial by fire” kind of night. The day manager is there but no sign of Karen. It’s now 10 minutes to shift and even day manager is wondering what’s up. I fill day manager in about Jen, show her the chart and ask if it looks good. She agrees, and I said I’ll post it for now and Karen can sign it when she gets in.

I had just finished posting the position chart when Karen shows up looking frazzled. She heads for the office without a word to anyone. Meanwhile people start getting into position and ready for the shift. A few minutes later Karen walks up, pulls my position chart and replaces it with a new one. Again, she walks off without a word. According to the new position chart, Jen is working the drive through and Karen is working… nothing. Her name isn’t there. She has another employee working two positions and the whole shift working effectively one person short. WTF? I head to the office where Karen and day manager are talking and ask for some clarification. I explain there must be a mistake.

Karen: No, that’s right.

Me: But you’re not in a position and *worker* is working two positions…

Karen: Well how am I supposed to be in charge if I’m in a position?

-- Dayshift and I just stare at her blankly --

Dayshift: You need to be in position. You are accounted for in the labor calculations.

Karen: Well, I have six years of management experience and I have never needed to fill a position to get the job done. Things are gonna change around here. We do things my way now.

Now, she just spent the last two weeks shadowing a manager that walked her through every step of the job. She KNOWS she should be in position and why. This shouldn’t even be a question. She just wants to spend the shift sitting in the office and everyone knows it.

At this point, dayshift manager and I are sharing horrified glances at each other. I tell Karen that she’ll need to go get people moved around if that’s what she wants, because it’s her plan. She gives an exasperated sigh and heads that way. I turn to dayshift and plead with her to call the store manager and let her know what’s going on. She agrees. I head back to the line and start working. After short time later, dayshift pulls me aside and says that the store manager said it is Karen’s shift; she is in charge. She makes the decisions. Then she leaves for the night.

The shift proceeds to implode in a spectacular fashion. Less than an hour in, the employee working two positions is so far in the weeds that orders are taking 3x as long to get out. The drive through is backed up and the guys stuck at the window waiting are trying to flirt with Jen, who is having none of it and getting more annoyed by the minute. As the wait gets longer and longer, the people are becoming more and more irritated as they get to the window and they are taking it out on Jen. Things are starting to get out of hand and Karen is nowhere to be seen. I go to the office to let her know we need help and find her watching a portable TV. I start to tell her what’s going on and she cuts me off. She tells me get back on the line, do my job and stop bothering her. I was about to try and explain when I just thought, “You know what, screw that.” Cue malicious compliance. I turned, walked back to the line and watched the situation unfold.

Thirty minutes later, a car at the window is giving Jen an earful about how long she has been waiting. She calls her worthless and Jen goes off. She takes the large strawberry milkshake next to her, chucks it at the lady and calls her a "fat ugly c***." The lady and the inside of her car are covered in pink goo. Everything went so silent you could hear a pin drop. Then the lady starts screaming. Jen closes the window on her and walks calmly to the back. The lady peels around the front and comes in the front door screaming for a manager. I go and knock on the office door. Karen appears looking pissed and annoyed. She tries to snap at me, but I tell her she has a customer at the front asking for the manager. Karen rolls her eyes and heads towards the front, oblivious to the shit storm that is waiting. I went and found Jen huddled in the back crying again. I tell her to get herself together and head back to the front when she is ready.

I head to the line where the now purple-faced lady is screaming at Karen about dry cleaning and upholstery cleaning and “I want that girl fired.” At this point, I can see that Karen has finally realized that things have gotten WAY out of control. She is trying to calm the lady down, but she is having none of it. Eventually, Jen comes back to the line and lady starts in on her again, calling her all kinds of nasty things. Karen just stood there and let the woman berate her. Jen just kinda deflated in front of us. Watching her crumble like that just broke something in me. I walked over to Jen and said, "Just quit. You’re better than this job. And you can do better." She looked up at me for a moment, then smiled. She lifted her chin, walked to Karen said "I quit," handed her name tag to her and walked out.

Karen started apologizing to the lady who now seemed slightly mollified. Then Karen started bad-mouthing Jen to her. Talking about how she was a terrible employee, and how we were all happy she was gone. That’s when I decided I was better than that job, too. I looked at Karen and said, “The only terrible employee here is you.” And I walked out. Two other employees walked out right behind me. We all met with Jen in the parking lot and went to an IHOP where we sat and speculated on how Karen was getting along. Jen told me that was the first time in her life anyone had ever stood up for her.

The next day, I got a call from the store manager asking for an explanation. Apparently, Karen had struggled the entire night with service. Afterwards, she had been there most of the night trying to clean and prep for day shift and had done a piss-poor job. The story she gave the store manager was that Jen and I had planned everything with the intent to set her up because we didn’t like her and wanted to see her fail. Karen had basically blamed the whole incident on Jen and I. The store manager told me she was investigating to get all sides of the story. So I told her. A few hours later, she called again and informed me that Karen was no longer employed and asked if I would be coming in that night. I asked if Jen was getting her job back. She said no. The whole milkshake debacle wasn’t something she could overlook. I said-- "then my answer is no". She was surprised. She tried to negotiate with me. I told her my price was Jen getting her job back. She said she couldn’t do that. And that was that.

If you’re wondering how Jen turned out, I married her. We are very happy and have 4 children."

"EDIT: I showed this to my wife when I got home. I thought she might cry, but she didn't. She says it was one of her darkest days, but it ended up being one of the best of her life."

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaliciousC...to_be_lazy_and_get_me_to_do_your_job_ill_let/

Last edited:
Better ending than the usual cliché "and they lived happily ever after" even if it proved to be right :)

And congrats on being able to last that long. Seems something that's not as common anymore and I sincerely hope it stays like that for a very long time.

Better ending than the usual cliché "and they lived happily ever after" even if it proved to be right :)

And congrats on being able to last that long. Seems something that's not as common anymore and I sincerely hope it stays like that for a very long time.
I don't know if it's the same in Portugal, but in the US, jobs like this are typically undercompensated, underappreciated, and lack security to a rather alarming degree.

I've read that in some parts of Europe (for example Nordic countries, but maybe others), employees like this earn an actual living wage, are unionised, and receive health care if they're full-time. Even if only one of those things is true, it's a big step up from here, where these workers are typically treated like crap by both customers and management. Indeed, the whole operation is usually heavily weighted towards making money for corporate or the franchisee above all other concerns.

And generally, when you bust ass in jobs like these in the US, you'll receive more responsibility for only a little more pay, meaning you'll pretty much be taken for granted (note the store manager's reaction in the story). But IMO, working in the service industry can be pretty grueling and even require some strong, unique skills, such as the customer service aspects, or being a good team leader. Sadly, you can be a valuable, respected employee, and yet the minute a customer gets agitated or something, mgmt will tend to take their side over yours.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but stories like this (without the nice ending, unfortunately) are as common as dirt here.

There's also a saying in the US that 'the customer is always right,' which originally referred to the idea that whatever service or product is in demand is what stores must rightly adapt to offer. Unfortunately, the saying later got popularised to mean that the customer can act out however they like with impunity. Throw a big-enough tantrum, and you'll tend to get something for free, and the service worker will get scolded.

This can especially be a disaster in the wait / waitressing field, where restaurants are allowed to pay their staff just a fraction of minimum wage, with the expectation that tips from the customers will make up tnicely for the staff. But for many other restaurants, it's a rather cruel, unnecessary custom, leaving a person's pay up to the whims of customers who tend to believe that they're 'always right.'

I've been going to restaurants pretty often since I moved to this part of the country, and it can be pretty heart-breaking seeing servers busting their buns for hours and barely getting tips because customers were 'in a mood' that day, or just obnoxiously pretending that tips are a completely optional gift on top of a fair living wage.

Hehe, guess I got some things off my chest, there. :)

Here they get the minimum wage plus the eventual tips which make tipping not a common thing like in US for example, in which I believe 10% is usually given or even included in the receipt.

All's well that ends well, right? :)

Here they get the minimum wage plus the eventual tips which make tipping not a common thing like in US for example, in which I believe 10% is usually given or even included in the receipt.

All's well that ends well, right? :)
Sounds like a similar system, then. Minimum hourly wage in PT appears to be €4.38, or US$5.25.

I'm guessing cost of living is generally less expensive there, because on the surface of it, that's wage is significantly less than in the US, which has a minimum hourly of US$7.25 (but higher in certain states), and tipping is supposed to be about 15-20%.

Regardless, hopefully in PT the service industry workers tend to be treated better, and have some of the perks I was talking about earlier.

It's not so linear and the value is wrong for sure.

Here's how it is with real example.

minimum wage is at 635€ / 22 working days (actually, this only applies for regular 8h/day, 22 working week days) / 8h a day equals 3.6€ of which you still have to take social security at least as I think people earning this don't pay taxes.

In reality you take only 580€ home... it's not enough for someone who work in shifts, way more than 8h/day most of the time and obviously in an economy sector that requires weekends and holidays to be work days for income you lose quality and family time as well. Now it's none with current pandemic. They took such a hit with everything closed...

Perks, yeah, better less than nothing I suppose. Access to public health care, retirement pension, you receive percentage of your salary from social security if you have to stay home sick or can not work or have kids or take care of family, ... I think I can agree with you that it doesn't sound as bad in comaprison.

I still recommend a piggy bank though, just in case ;)

It's not so linear and the value is wrong for sure...
Well, when I tried to look up the "hourly rate" for PT, almost all sites seemed to suggest instead the monthly or yearly salary. I guess that's how people prefer to measure it in your country?

IIRC, I found a couple sites that had already converted the Portu monthly / yearly figure in to an hourly rate that we Americans could understand. That's where I pulled the "€4.38" figure from, since I certainly have no idea myself. Wish I could say that I simply pulled the numbers out of my posterior, but no. :(

Anyway, thanks... appreciate your feedback on this. I've never been to your country, and was always kind of curious how things are there. I think we Americans (and maybe us Peruvians too, haha) tend to think of Europe as being relatively homogenized, but obviously it's way more complicated than that.

Obviously the 'EU-effect' helps countries operate a lot more similarly (economically) than they otherwise would(?), but still...

Most people don't even mention the brute salary, just how much effectively they'll see at the end of the month. Let the accountants take care of the rest :)

Sites and numbers... good for averages and I gave you a very specific and real example, unfortunately, related to people that work in similar commerce activities which are included as ones with the lowest paygrades level.

I 'd still vote for EU inclusion today. I actually can't see Europe divided and despite all the usual ups and downs we came a long way for the better all things considered.

But no, there are no utopias.

PS: I was in the U.S once, 20 years ago... I'm still baffled at the size. Can cross a state in 15 days going straight and within 15 days you acn circle around Portugal twice :D

But lazy is what I do best, no wonder I never got that girl! >_<

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back