Volley (Gottlieb, 1976) VP8

VP8 Gottlieb EM Recreation Volley (Gottlieb, 1976) VP8 v1.5

No permission to download
Electro-Mechanical Machines

davidsss

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Hi

Following the long and torturous debate over the rules I am now releasing Gottlieb Volley version 1.5.

I thought I'd start a new thread for this as it is a substantial change.

The rules are quite different. The toplanes are lit when the first ball starts and if you can get the bumpers and targets lit immediately, and they stay on for the rest of the game. Also certain targets light the lanes down the sides for 5,000 and the middle top lane for 5,000, these also stay on for the rest of the game. Special still requires getting all 3 banks of targets down but the targets don't reset at the beginning of each ball, only when you get all 3 banks down. See the version 1.5 release notes for a fuller explanation.

Anyway it has taken a little while to thrash out the correct rules for this machine but I hope I've got it all right this time If not, expect version 1.6 soon!

A big thanks to Mrhide who provided the rules and clarified a lot of the rules after the version 1 release. It is quite difficult to work out the intricacies of the rules until you see the VP table and write the script. An honorable mention to Greywolf who played this game recently and clarified a few things.

All errors or omissions, of course, remain my fault, and ultimately my problem

I have also tried to lighten the table and targets although it remains fairly dark at the top, my screen is very bright so it looks a little too bright to me. Also increased the contrast for the match numbers to make them easier to read.

Anyway here's a new screenie, I uploaded the table to IRPinball earlier today and it should be in the main menu when they get time to do that.

DS

Attachments

• volley_screenshot1.5.jpg
    volley_screenshot1.5.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 610
Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic, about 1.6....I was thinking you could perhaps make this table almost picture perfect if you were to include and extra set of dropwalls in front of the yellow targets where the reflections appear. These walls would be the same yellow as the playfield and have a bottom height of -1 and top height of 0.1. Then as a yellow target is dropped the refection dropwall is raised and the reflection will vanish. ;)

The new version is At IRP, Thank You davidsss, an excellent job!

All errors or omissions, of course, remain my fault, and ultimately my problem

I'm just happy for Volley and you are probably not a lawyer....:)

Thanks Jon.

SteveOz - I'll think about getting rid of those reflections near the yellow targets, but I think I need a break from Volley for a little while. The next project looks interesting and I might finally get TiltJP to allow me to put a table on PN - see the thread about rotating walls at VPF for more details :D

DS

The ver, 1,5 are a good job.
It is also more amusing of the previous .
Saluti.
Furio

davidsss said:
Thanks Jon.

SteveOz - I'll think about getting rid of those reflections near the yellow targets, but I think I need a break from Volley for a little while. The next project looks interesting and I might finally get TiltJP to allow me to put a table on PN - see the thread about rotating walls at VPF for more details :D

DS

From what I read about the rotating walls, this one just might earn a spot here David. Now if you'd break down and do a flipperless that one would end up here for sure. :p

John

Have you looked at this table on the IPDB John? Ain't no flippers there ;)

DS

davidsss said:
Have you looked at this table on the IPDB John? Ain't no flippers there ;)

DS

That's right, I forgot, Rockola's World Series. Good luck with it, it should be a real challenge to make. When you pull it off, I'd like to see you tackle Gottlieb's Flying Trapeze, which has moving balls similar to World Series.

John

I think 1 turntable animation will be well enough for me, I'm still scratching my head about how to do it although I'm not up to that stage yet, I'm still doing the graphics around the table. I'll release a WIP when the graphics are done but I suspect it will be a long time between that and the final table because of the turntable. I generally decide on what tables to make by available graphics, and I avoid VPM because it's too much to learn at the moment and there are so many EM tables still to do and plenty of great VPM authors dealing with those tables.

DS

Actually you might be confused - I'm doing World's Series not World Series - no flying balls just a turntable.

DS

No, I know which one you're making David, just another of my infamous typos. I have Flying Trapeze on the bottom of my projects list, and it probably won't get anywhere near the top for a long time.

John

davidsss said:
Actually you might be confused - I'm doing World's Series not World Series - no flying balls just a turntable.

DS

PM sent to you!

Jon

I noticed the table was missing here, and I guess this thread explains why. It's evidently because Tilt wasn't allowing non-flipperless games to be shared here as late as Nov 2005. So Jon would seemingly accept the upload, then post the table at IRP, not PN.

Not sure when that all changed, but I'm thinking it wasn't too much later than this.

Anyways, the table has now been uploaded here.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: blackspatular is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back