• Many thanks to Ian Longstaff for his lovely table roundups, posted on YT. And here is... WEEK SEVEN!

Also, here's our browser games collection, for those who are playful.
  • Google Translate to French or Other Languages Click on the link and a new tab will open with this page translated into French.
    Click on the "To:" pull down option to select a different language. Users will not be logged in on the new Google tab.

VP8 beta released.

StevOz

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
After having my hard drive die and repiecing VP togheter, I am getting ready to release an update which includes the feature I wrote for Ultracade; render-caching. This features makes it so you only have to go through the rendering process of a table once, and as long as you don't change the table or the window size you play at, it will just load all the pre-rendered images from the cache. This will make it much much faster for those people who just want to click&play their favorite table.

Additionally, I have improved the 'play only' scenario (/play -tablename) so that when you double-click a table file, the editor does not display at all, and when you exit the player, it exits to windows, not the editor. One question: For those people who write front-ends to VP, is there any desired behavior from this mode than to just be able to pass a close-window message to the VP player and have the process exit?

A few more things:

1) VP is now compiled with a much newer compiler. This wouldn't seem like a big deal but I noticed that some of the floating-point stuff worked differently, and I had to do some fixes. So once I release a beta update, be on the lookout for the ball doing totally bizarre things.

2) I understand Ultracade has some physics updates; I lost my synchronized version of these when my HD died; I'll have to piece that together later.

3) The render-caching only works for tables saved to disk; not dirty in the editor. This shouldn't be much of a problem since caching won't do you much good while you're editing a table anyway. If you're doing a lot of editing, you will want to turn off render-caching under Preferences/Video Options since doing the caching takes a little bit of time that won't be benefiting you at all.

- Randy

Available for download here at Nirvana Downloads section.

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/index.php?name=UpDownload&req=viewsdownload&sid=5

Thank you Randy. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!