What are you listening to? (2012)

And I just found out that the song is actually a traditional Irish ballad by the name of Drimindown. No mater as Leadbelly definitely made this song his own and bent it with the style which is what makes it influential.

This is one version of the traditional ballad:

Drimindown / Drimmin Down ( Traditional Irish Ballad ) - YouTube

Well shit. I just tried posting my discovery of the traditional Irish ballad and PN informed me that I had to wait in line before posting again...and then "the Quick Reply" lost my message, or pretended to...

...even though I hadn't posted anything for over a half an hour, I think.

Same as 20 years ago- Pink Floyd. lol

This was the 'real' Springsteen........the man was a great lyricist...a real slice of 'Americana'...right up and until he sold out to the company and churned out that shitty jingoistic pop rubbish...his initial 3x albums contained the best stuff he ever did....and don't be spouting all that Philadelphia / River nonsense...they don't compare.

http://youtu.be/xtPEZX6wAzg

that sir douglas song was great... listened to it about 3-4 times in a row before i noticed i had in on repeat. morrison on jazz, perhaps? anyway, gonna have to check out more of their stuff...

ledbetter's best tune? i don't know how you could even narrow it down past an album's worth. tu tienes cajones mas grandes, sleepy. :D personally i loved "where did you sleep last night" that nirvana later covered themselves.

as i was adding to my ray charles mix sometime back i accidentally stumbled on this cool duet with a sensational blonde: :p
You don't know me (Ray Charles & Diana Krall) - YouTube

That was a vocal cover of the song which was originally an instrumental by "The Bob Crewe Generation".

Crewe's version started out as a Diet Pepsi jingle, I think.
I seem to remember watching an ad which focused on the bare mid-riffs of women in bikinis as they walked by the camera.

Later. it was released as a single and scored a hit, then it became a vocalized cover tune for several stylists such as Williams.

The other song like that was "No Matter What Shape" by, I think, The T-Bones. It was an instrumental that started out as a jingle for Alka Seltzer.

Never been a big prog-rock fan, but if I were to choose a non-Floyd group to listen to, it would be King Crimson. Fripp's a great guitarist. Bowie's Heroes wouldn't have been as much fun without him.

Agreed. Fripp is playing in Bowie's best album (Scary Monsters) as well. Both men are geniuses.

Speaking of Bowie's best.... Low and Ziggy are close though... personally I never cared for "Heroes" quite as much. Stationtostation ranks up there in top-5 as well.

I might be their only European fan.... and I know their reputation in the US... having "poser fans" and such... but damn if this isn't musical genius then what is...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdHiS26JQWU

PS: Saw them in Tampa a few years ago....loved it.

Last edited:
Agreed. Fripp is playing in Bowie's best album (Scary Monsters) as well. Both men are geniuses.

Speaking of Bowie's best.... Low and Ziggy are close though... personally I never cared for "Heroes" quite as much. Stationtostation ranks up there in top-5 as well.

Scary Monsters really deserves to join Ziggy as one of those Bowie albums that everyone owns. I've always felt it was an underrated classic... glad to know I'm not alone! :)

That was a vocal cover of the song which was originally an instrumental by "The Bob Crewe Generation".

Crewe's version started out as a Diet Pepsi jingle, I think.
I seem to remember watching an ad which focused on the bare mid-riffs of women in bikinis as they walked by the camera.

Later. it was released as a single and scored a hit, then it became a vocalized cover tune for several stylists such as Williams.

The other song like that was "No Matter What Shape" by, I think, The T-Bones. It was an instrumental that started out as a jingle for Alka Seltzer.
wow, that's awesome. i love it.

i see even mister spock recorded a version. seriously... it's on youtube.

"no matter" is pleasant, but a little too bland to make a good song IMO.

there's gotta be some more jingles that would make good pop songs. "i'd like to teach the world to sing" (coke) was a pretty tune...

Dr. Demento, eh?
How about Mendel, the Jewish Reindeer by The Nudniks?

Now somewhere in the following Demento database is this song:
http://dmdb.org/cgi-bin/search_pl.p...e&wordtype=substring&year1=1970&year2=current

Back to Bob Crewe for a moment, his group based their sound pretty much on Herb Alpert & The Tiijuana Brass. TB was a powerhouse in the 60's.

And as for jingles, there was also The Brass Ring/The Dis-Advantages of you, which started as a t.v. jingle for Benson & Hedges Cigarettes, a dubious use of Top 40 radio, I know.

But not as dubious in 1965 as "That Acapulco Gold" by The Rainy Daze which was widely played on the local Top 40 stations:

The Rainy Daze - "That Acapulco Gold" - YouTube

Scary Monsters really deserves to join Ziggy as one of those Bowie albums that everyone owns. I've always felt it was an underrated classic... glad to know I'm not alone! :)
Holy floofenhammen, Bat-folks.
I never listened to the full album before, but am finishing it just now.

I find it... some... well... ultra-noisy, experimental, hard-rockin', art-house, punk, garage-band stuff.
It's interesting and all, and of course has the great tracks "Ashes to Ashes" & "Fashion," but wow, even as a fan of Bowie, I think I'd rather listen to Roger Waters "These are the Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking," or maybe one of William Shatner's spoken word gems.

Yes, this thread is an ancient conversation, but I'd be curious to one day hear a middle-aged guy show up and tell me he puts Scary Monsters on repeat in the background. I think listening to it *once* is going to be it for me... at least in this lifetime. :s

Oof, do I seriously need to listen to two hour's of silence to recover from all that.

Not a fan of Scary Monsters at all.

Recently dug our old copies of Supersister … didn’t realise at the time how very like Soft Machine they were.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back