What music are you listening to?

Yeah, Gross & Altman's first 25yrs was the one I started on. It began with pages and pages of fairly random snippets from various and sundry. I could see that kind of thing working in certain contexts, but it just got real annoying, real fast in this case.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else of real interest there is to learn about TOS & TNG at this point. Memory-Alpha does such a superb job dishing the dirt on individual episodes, after all. It draws from all available sources and is meticulously organised, so... yeah. Maybe in the mirror universe I'll finish those books.

I love the famous Neanderthal hand stencil piece. The other stuff I've seen from that period looks literally sketchy. No idea about any deity worship going on there.

It's definitely fascinating to think about how similar their brains were in certain respects. For example-- did they suffer from the same kind of existential angst that we did, thereby craving deep answers and closure? I'm asking my own 2% Neanderthal DNA content, but I'm not hearing much reply. :/

Hi guys.

There is an interesting number of bands covering most rock genres in this Russian site http://progrockworld.ru/ .... yes it may be Russian but its a good source of obscure European bands.

Not sure if you've tries Clannad at all Nic ... Irish Celtic and many songs sung in Gaelic.

Another useful source of radio stations on the internet is: https://radio.garden/listen/nonstopoldies/4ILPZYEx .... this is work a few hours playing about with :)

I should have added that just about every genre from Italy is pure unadulterated rubbish ... but music is subjective and you may find otherwise.

Challenge accepted, Elton! :D

Italy, huh? Well, I liked those Sergio Leone soundtracks, to start with. I also have a special appreciation for Adriano Celentano's hilarious nonsense-word parody of American pop music, i.e. the song "Prisencolinensinainciusol."

Rolls right off the tongue, amirite? Here's two different video versions. I find both pretty amusing / interesting:

Adriano Celentano - Prisencolinensinainciusol - YouTube

Adriano Celentano & R. Carra - Prisencolinensinainciusol (Svveepa's progressive bump) - YouTube

Haven't really thought in terms of genres, but let me see what I can come up with. Also, thanks for the recommends. I know Clannad, but will check out that other stuff...

Neanderthals and Modern Humans share a gene that is responsible for complex language skills. So it is possible that the communication among Neanderthals was far more advanced than previously thought. This FOXP2 gene may have been inherited from a common ancestor.
Some of the genes that modern humans inherited from our Neanderthal ancestors are beneficial to us. For example, our immune systems were strengthened by the incursion of Neanderthal DNA, but some of the DNA that we inherited from our Neanderthal ancestors have been detrimental. The gene that we acquired for blood clotting was important during hunter/gatherer times, when our ancestors were often seriously hurt during the hunt, and the ability for blood to coagulate quickly meant the difference between life and death. This quickly coagulating blood creates problems for modern man whose lifespan is much greater than Neanderthals, causing dangerous blood clots in later life.
Some scientists believe that the genes responsible for depression and other neurological problems also come from our Neanderthal relatives. They postulate that these genes are triggered by disruptions in our circadian rhythms due to the artificial manipulation of our environment. Neanderthals did not experience disruptions of their natural sleep cycles (unless, of course a Cave Bear stumbled into their camp at night.) So, the depression gene response may not have been triggered in Neanderthals.
I would love to see the Lascaux cave paintings, but unfortunately it was closed to the public and now you can only visit a replica of the site. When I see pictures of cave paintings, I always wonder about the artists. Who were they? Were they painting pictures of the animals that they hoped to kill during their hunt, as supplication to their gods? Were they recording the success of their hunts? What about the hand stencil painting from the El Castillo Cave in Spain that you referenced, Nic? Was it a way to show solidarity among the tribe or a vow to fight together like a blood oath? Maybe it was simply Neanderthal mothers recording their children’s hands for posterity, like the turkey drawings kindergarten children make for their parents at Thanksgiving.neander hands.jpg

Last edited:
The first time I saw that "Prisencolinensinainciusol" video, it blew my mind! It was like watching an Italian nerd Elvis... in corduroys, no less! That dude rocks and rolls! But I absolutely hate the harmonica chick. Put your finger down! That's no way to play the harp.
I stumbled across a weird sub-subgenre of music: Italian Library Music. It's music that was recorded for ad agencies and broadcast stations. We had a huge book of it at the station I worked at. Say you want 30 seconds of mellow modern jazz for a commercial. Or something faster like fast rock music. Since you pay for it all at once, you don't have to pay rights to use it each time in a commercial. Well, there was this guy named Lesiman who did Italian Library Music in the '70s, and, brother, he swings! I've listened to far too much American library music and it's the worst kind of pablum. But Lesiman really grooves!

Man, doesn't that sound like just the coolest Starsky & Hutch episode ever? I, too, have a great fondness for Morricone. Once Upon a Time In the West is one of my all-time favorite movies, and Morricone's music for it is one of my all-time favorite soundtracks! I've got a 2-disc Best of Morricone that's some fine listening! I'm going to have to come back to discuss the Neanderthals. My completely and utterly disrupted sleep cycle says it might let me doze off now.

I could totally picture Starsky & Hutch chasing bad guys through the streets of Bay City in their Gran Torino with that soundtrack! Very cool!

Oh yeah, Morricone. Morricone.

Hope he dasn't mind that I merged him with Leone just there. Remarkably, based on his WP entry, he's still going strong at 90yrs old and still looks pretty healthy & handsome to me. Seems he won the soundtrack Oscar for "Hateful Eight" just a couple years ago.

Btw, just kind of stopping by for a moment while listening to the Cyclones Stop Your Sobbing from disc three. I hadn't realised it wasn't original to Chrissie Hynde, but was seemingly a Ray Davies creation from 15 years earlier (1964). Interesting that it got covered by the Singaporeans during the interval.

Anyway, fun thread. Also not feeling my best lately, but I hope to participerate more, soon.

Hey Bill if you're still reading, I'd posted about The Shaggs on my FB wall around a year ago, but I don't think you were around then.

To me they're sort of fascinating, cringe-worthy, hilarious & strangely enjoyable, all at the same time. I reckon there's a good chance you're already familiar with them, but if not-- the basic idea is that (stealing a page from Laszlo Polgar's playbook, the guy who fathered the greatest chess-playing sisters of all time), this guy decided ahead of time that he wanted his three girls to become rock stars & maybe hitch his wagon to them, a bit like Murry Wilson, I guess.

For whatever reasons, he decided to just buy the equipment and then leave the girls to figure out everything on their own...

My Pal Foot Foot - The Shaggs - YouTube

Kurt Cobain (and I think another highly prominent music artist) ranked "The Shaggs" one of their favorite bands ever.

In terms of a VP parallel, could they be the new-old Wrenchien, perhaps? :D

Last edited:
I grew up on rock and roll but diversified my taste quite a bit over the years. I have selections of just about every type of music is my collection except I only have one Rap song. It is on an album by B.B. King who invited a Rap artist to do a track on one of his albums. As you might guess, I got into Blues. I really like Cool Jazz. If you don't have any music by Paul Desmond you should get it but I suppose the best cool jazz piece has to be "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck where I think Desmond played the sax. I have Classical, Country, Big Band, Swing (like Glenn Miller), Fusion Jazz, Reggae and even Ambient.

Those of you that like Rock music, I created a Rock music soundtrack for the "Road Girls" pinball table that you can get here:

Of course, you can swap it with the original Country music version.

I grew up on rock and roll but diversified my taste quite a bit over the years...
One thing that's always baffled me is the way some listeners stick with not only the same couple genres, but the same songs played over and over again. It seems like year after year, they're content to listen to the same few hundred songs, and have a significant aversion to hearing anything new, even in their favorite genre. It's wild.

OTOH, I can see it making a certain sense. As in, studies seem to show that people have a huge bias towards the familiar and easily-recognisable. This actually seems to be the case with modern pop - rock songwriting, which has evidently stripped out a lot of the complexity of modern songs in order to cater to a listener-base that wants to hear songs they already know, or can pick up easily. Again, it's pretty wild. Sort of a direct devolution of the heights popular music reached in, say, the 60's and 70's.

Like... a whole bunch of folks are no doubt spinning in their graves over all that, so maybe we should wire them up for some free energy!

As for me, internet radio and Youtube has been a godsend. I'm able to listen to new stuff on a regular basis, then (usually) download songs I like from YT, at a pretty solid quality. Luckily I'm not a high-end audiophile who has to have everything at best or near-best quality.

As for me, internet radio and Youtube has been a godsend. I'm able to listen to new stuff on a regular basis, then (usually) download songs I like from YT, at a pretty solid quality. Luckily I'm not a high-end audiophile who has to have everything at best or near-best quality.

I suppose my dad influenced my tastes even though he hated Rock.

You can search for files with the .flac extension. They are usually at least CD quality, sometimes even high resolution.

I suppose my dad influenced my tastes even though he hated Rock.

You can search for files with the .flac extension. They are usually at least CD quality, sometimes even high resolution.
I actually really like the average quality of the YT uploads.

They tend to be in sort of a 'standard MP3 format' of 64 to 128kbps, 44 khz. The average song tends to use about 1.3mb per minute of music. Works great for me.

Plus, by downloading from YT, I'm at least starting with a site that has an ad system which generates revenue that theoretically goes back to the song artists, via the music industry.

I actually really like the average quality of the YT uploads.

They tend to be in sort of a 'standard MP3 format' of 64 to 128kbps, 44 khz. The average song tends to use about 1.3mb per minute of music. Works great for me.

Plus, by downloading from YT, I'm at least starting with a site that has an ad system which generates revenue that theoretically goes back to the song artists, via the music industry.

I find it is increasingly difficult to download from YT.

I find it is increasingly difficult to download from YT.
Er... that's a bit cryptic there, George.

I actually haven't tried it for a while, so gave it a shot just now using this site. As is usual with such sites, you just have to close the obvious spam popup tabs that may appear.

What I like about this one is that it allows you to choose your quality-level / download size based on the quality level of what was uploaded. (see attach)

In the upper-left corner there's also a short (3:33) classical song suggestion for you, if you're so inclined. Somehow this guy gets an acoustic guitar to sound like... a mandolin? It's a beautiful effect.

Attachments

• Recuerdos.jpg
    Recuerdos.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 114
Er... that's a bit cryptic there, George.

I actually haven't tried it for a while, so gave it a shot just now using this site. As is usual with such sites, you just have to close the obvious spam popup tabs that may appear.

What I like about this one is that it allows you to choose your quality-level / download size based on the quality level of what was uploaded. (see attach)

In the upper-left corner there's also a short (3:33) classical song suggestion for you, if you're so inclined. Somehow this guy gets an acoustic guitar to sound like... a mandolin? It's a beautiful effect.
I haven't tried this site but many of the sites that had used in the past don't work anymore.

If you just want the music MP3s the pirate bay works best for me. Last discography I am reliving is from these boys. :singer:

I haven't tried this site but many of the sites that had used in the past don't work anymore.
Yeah, I've had that problem too. When that happens I just find another site. They're mostly just copies of each other, anyway.

If you do this kind of thing often enough, obviously it's better to use (safe) software on your end.

@StevOz,
TBH, I was hoping the thread wouldn't turn in to a blatant music piracy thread. :s

@TheManFromPOST

Now for a picture and track I will dedicate to my first breast play. :boobies:

Lulu to the back right of Sadie and me with my back to the camera.

Attachments

• 10400729_77119347872_3251_n.jpg
    10400729_77119347872_3251_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 122
How about some beautiful music then... :rockband:

Not the best recording though I just had to post this version for the video.

Of course with MP3s comes loudness issues. Thankfully we have excellent open source software to fix that.

[MEDIA]TVGl0hUTPmQ[/MEDIA]
I remember using that a long time ago, then when I tried to figure out what it was called, couldn't recall it. I wound up using foobar2000 instead, which isn't quite as handy. Thanks for randomly sharing the name!

Lulu to the back right of Sadie and me with my back to the camera.
Ai Steve, I seem to remember the first time you shared a pic in the VP scene. I think you were sitting at a table indoors, having a beer, sporting a sort of bowl-cut variation haircut. Looked like you were in your 20's or 30's.

A couple years later I distinctly remember you saying 'I still look about the same,' then a couple years after that, you shared another pic, and you looked completely different! Could have knocked me over with a feather, lol.

Also, in that early pic, doesn't look like your arms were as Popeye-like as they later became!

Last edited:
Let's kick it back a notch..

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Javert20 is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back