Help What image tool do you use to straighten / remove perspective?

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
@wild, @druadic, @StevOz and/or whoever else...?

So I have a PF image taken at an angle, and I want to straighten (and crop) it so as to get two images of the pop bumpers, each one as if they were being viewed top-down.

Last time I tried something like this was over 20 years ago, with PhotoShop. I remember there used to be a trapezoid-shaped tool that would let you drag around the corners so as to reshape the image accordingly.

I tried out a couple online tools just now, and as loaded with options as they were, they still didn't have good options for this.

Anybody have advice for this kind of job? (see attached)

Attachments

• Jubilee bumpers.crop.jpg
    Jubilee bumpers.crop.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Solution
I started to use GIMP 2,10 for this and it works but takes time. You can actually pull a corner forward, back and side to side depending on how far forward or backward you go. Have to tried GIMP?

Another rule to follow is to use small sections at a time to move the perspective. It's what I do and 95% of the time I can get them pretty flat.
I started to use GIMP 2,10 for this and it works but takes time. You can actually pull a corner forward, back and side to side depending on how far forward or backward you go. Have to tried GIMP?

Another rule to follow is to use small sections at a time to move the perspective. It's what I do and 95% of the time I can get them pretty flat.

Solution
PS: Forgot to add the "perspective tool" is the little box shaped icon. Click it, click the center of your image and pull or push the corners to the proper areas that require the image to look more flat. Hope this helps you Ike. GIMP is a GREAT program to use.

If you push or pull into the corners you can see the image start to "trapezoid" in and out. You can also move the corners left or right.

If you need further help perhaps I can straighten an image out for you.

Thanks, Will!

Haven't tried GIMP for a while. Last time I did, I got frustrated that it was theoretically quite similar to PS, but drove me a bit mad because so much of the layout and tools seemed to be handled differently. Kept getting confused.

I guess I could reluctantly give GIMP another go, if necessary. This is probably just a one-off job, so I was hoping to find something quick and effective online. Bah.

It's not so tough but can take time and patience. Like I said I could look at the image for you if you send it to me and tell me exactly what you need fixed. Let me know.

When I was working with tiltjlp he sent me a version of Paint Shop Pro to me and it also worked. I MAY have this somewhere too, but found using GIMP saved me a bit of time and yes, GIMP can be very daunting at times with everything it can do. The part I hate about GIMP is it has such a limited color palette that you have to use MS Paint or another program to import the color you need to use into GIMP. To me this is strange to say the least.

Last edited:
It's not so tough but can take time and patience. Like I said I could look at the image for you if you send it to me and tell me exactly what you need fixed. Let me know.
The image is attached and the issue explained in post #1, if you want to take a look, matey.

So I'm looking for two separate images, one for each pop bumper. Each one will be perfectly square and symmetrical. Also need to surround them with transparency, altho I was planning on doing that part with MS Paint.

PNG transparency works great in GIMP. I'll take a look at these and see what I can do. I may be able to get them about right for you.

I have found PNG transparency through MS Paint can severely ruin an image as I've tried over and over again to use MS Paint for this; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Let me look at this tonight and see what I can come up with.

Ike,

In under an hour I made these. This is a zip file which contains the red and green caps. The zip contains two folders.

EACH color is 600x600 in size but each bumper has a colored light blue that is NOT transparent in BMP and PNG that are transparent.

EACH color has:

1. One BMP file. (Windows Bitmap file)
2. One PNG file. (These are transparent files. I usually make the edges transparent for later use)
3. One xcf file. XCF files are used under GIMP. Reason for this is that the more you move and image around it can make it blur so by saving it as an xcf file you can return to the original image as it was properly used before you moved or changed anything. This is extremely helpful if you require to change anything later.

I only created the edges as transparent. If you require the entire image to be transparent I can figure this out too but it will take time. I can also "feather" edges to blend to single colors.

Let me know what you think and if these help at all.

d

Attachments

• Jubilee Bumpers for IKE.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
@druadic ,
Thank you so much, Will! ^^

The original bumper caps were more of a theory than anything else. :p (see attached)

Unfortunately I couldn't find that same style online, hence the need for this little project.

The new caps you made look so sharp that I'll actually need to fade them a bit to match the rest of the plastic layers. Always a good problem to have, though. :)

This table has some unique features, like the ability to change the game's voltage, as well as a nicely-implemented 'nudge-o-meter' that takes some real skill to use properly. You might be interested in taking a look after some little tweaks are done.

Attachments

• Jubilee (Williams, 1973) (anDee, v1.05).jpg
    Jubilee (Williams, 1973) (anDee, v1.05).jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Nudge-O-Meter and Switch-Box.jpg
    Nudge-O-Meter and Switch-Box.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 63
Glad I could be of help. I found two caps elsewhere so I just straightened those up, redrew the edges in MS Paint and used GIMP 2.10 to create the PNG transparencies. Wasn't tough but I did have to straighten out the caps themselves with the perspective tools. Voila.

You may even try to use the "feather" tool in GIMP to make those edges even more blended and crisp. That's what the xcf files are for; you can then save them again in xcf if you wish or use the layer tool and recreate the edges properly then save to a PNG for transparency,

Glad you like them. Enjoy!

from your first post, I understand that you would like to extract or extrapolate the texture of the bumper-cap,from that image?

i only use photoshop.....but I'm not a champion to use it.

well, if we are only talking about top bumpers textures, then I try to find it in other tables, or better for those who know to do, to redesign the texture

but if I really have to extract it then I do in this way....I use the "magnetic lasso tool"(see the pic), and followed the edge of the red-cap....and then I try to improve the colors,and then with the "transform"-function- is located in the "window modification" I try to improve them, but that image doesn't help much to have a good result, especially the red cap ....

now I don't know if in PS, there is a tool that helps to have a result like "drualic" got .....

Catturaoooo.JPG

@wild,
Ah yes, I remember magic lasso. There should also be a PS tool that allows one to re-shape an image.

If this comes up for me again, I'll probably just need to learn how to do the equivalent in GIMP!

Ike,

GIMP is quite easy to use but the sheer amount of buttons and sliders can make the program a put off so before you tackle using GIMP you may want to ask if you have the patience to even start using it. I at first didn't and just kept using Paint Shop Pro until I ran into limitations by the program. I then figured I better start learning GIMP and it was worth the time.

There are so many tutorials on GIMP on YouTube that it's no joke and it's usually where I find anything I need to learn with step by step instruction. Check it out and GIMP 2.10 is FREE to download.

The best way to look at this is that almost any graphics or art program usually is worth learning if it completes your task and makes it easier. After dumping Paint Shop Pro I never looked back since using MS Paint for basic colors and palette along with GIMP 2.10 is pretty much all I use.

I just recently learned how to take very dark and shadow covered play fields and turn them into bright, vibrant images. I just did this with a Gottlieb Scoreboard from 1934 and it looks FANTASTIC. The sliders had to be played with for a good 30 minutes before I got a really clean result.

If I can be of further help please let me know.

PS: Ike, I usually do not traverse FP stuff so I was lucky enough to see your post. I only work with VP but was very happy to be able to help you.

Last edited:
@druadic,
Thanks again, Will! I did tag you in the OP, so I presume you got a notice.

I don't have much time to work deeply on tables, but next time I'll start with GIMP and keep you in mind for help.

Still kinda surprised there's not more online help for this stuff. Well there probably is, really, but most sites seem to assume you either want to work on photos or apply art filters, etc.

@Ike Savage

No problem. My pleasure. Amazingly there are TONS of info and tutorials online for GIMP and I mean TONS. Now and then when you browse YouTube for a video, you may have to find one that actually is slow enough and kind enough to show what they are doing so you can follow it well enough. With that said, Now and then I have to bounce from one vid to another to find the right one but rest assured GIMP is not that bad to use.

GIMP is simple enough for beginners to use and there are TONS of tutorials on that as well. It's a great place to start but I didn't do that - I just jumped right in and started to play around with just about everything. Sometimes that's the best way to figure things out.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: MMITG is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back