What's a VP game you've enjoyed lately?

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
so... i haven't played with VP for 2-3 years and have little idea what the state of the art is.

for some reason i've been in a PB mood these days, and was wondering how VP was treating some of my old favorites like Indiana Jones, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the BL, Stargate, Giraffe in Park, etc.

So, who can play 'em all?

I start most days with BubbleHEAD's (Dan Roth) JackBot, which I believe to be VP6 (released in 2002) but also plays fine in VP8. It's nice and slow, so if I can't at least hit the 9.5B replay in the first game, I go back to sleep. Kinda like seeing my shadow...

Thanks to DnaDisturber's PINemHi Leaderboard, I took an interest in VP9 tables as I encountered them in the PINemHi Challenges, but got a late start because my lame computer couldn't handle complex graphics, alpha transparency, and later, primitives (whatever they are)...until VP was ported to DX9. Suddenly my rig played VP9 BETTER than it could play VP8 (!)

Anyway, due to vendor apathy regarding table serviceability, I played almost no pinball after about 1985, but I do remember playing JackBot a few times when it was new in late '95. Fast forward to early 2010, and VP has had most of my attention since.

So, I currently have a small group of recent favorites with Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness, Scared Stiff, White Water, and the Klingon to my Kirk; Black Knight 2000. I don't know how many models there are, but I have yet to get 15M on any of them...Grrrr

Two others I liked were Star Trek the Next Generation (too much time spent trying to time the cannons, though) and The Lord of the Rings, which had a couple of spots on the playfield where a ball entering one of them would slow the entire game down to 3 or 4 FPS. Once the ball traversed said spot/s, the game resumed normal framerate---but multiball was hell, so I gave up.

I could go on for days...plus, there is VP-TEN now, and I may have W8.1 soon, followed by a Haswell or Skylake CPU and appropriate motherboard, and a 1050Ti to round it out. Until then.....

> Anyway, due to vendor apathy regarding table serviceability, I played almost no pinball after about 1985

Holy monkey barrels, Gregg! I mean-- there were so many awesome tables released in the late 80's and through the 90's... truly, I shed a tear for thee. :(

Still, glad to hear you've caught up with many of those classics via VP. Shame on me for forgetting STTNG and Scared Stiff in particular. (The latter is certainly the most hilariously cool pin I've ever played)

1028-primary-elvira-sexy-photos-wcw-launch-1200x630.jpg

Btw, duderino-- did you know that a lot of people my age played Black Knight (and loved it) without ever knowing that it was a real live pin? We only knew it as "David's Midnight Magic." And, look! Someone in Germany even made a 3D version in VP:

DavidsMidnightMagic_[Modern_2005_Flavour].jpg

http://www.andees-arca.de/

Rambling away-- there was also "Raster Blaster," a nice 8-bit version of Firepower that the Pinball Construction dude (Bill Budge) made. (I think Randy Davis really needs to thank him one day for inspiring the whole VP thing)

https://image.isu.pub/170226063526-d6e0df8b747343f0e83a1e316113b137/jpg/page_59.jpg

The original Black Knight is one I don't think I've played yet; my misfortune has been at the lance of the sequel, BK2000. I remember commenting that VP9 possessed blinding speed just for the sake of blinding speed, and a fresh examination hints that BK2000 was the table that gave me that impression.

Some EMs I've pulled out of mothballs are Kings and Queens, Hi-Lo Ace, Pokerino and Midway Flying Turns (which scores in LAPS of cars in the backbox, rather than points.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back