What's your browser??

Well, I'm glad it works for you Ike, I actually see no difference in performance here and depending on what you actually use chrome for that memory usage can be far greater, it's not exactly honest about it's memory usage reporting. Not that it matters with 8GB on tap most of time I'm using less then 50% of that, all I know is chrome is butt ugly. :p

Oh looky here attached...

Attachments

• tasks.jpg
    tasks.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 257
Well, I'm glad it works for you Ike, I actually see no difference in performance here and depending on what you actually use chrome for that memory usage can be far greater, it's not exactly honest about it's memory usage reporting. Not that it matters with 8GB on tap most of time I'm using less then 50% of that, all I know is chrome is butt ugly. :p
good questions and good points, mate.

all i know for sure is that running win7 with modern FF creates a huge, sluggish memory hog. chrome, by contrast, seems to partition memory much more efficiently, based on what the task manager tells me, anyway!.

i.e., instead of one unified 300meg process running clunky as hell, chrome seems to split every little bit of the tabs, windows and what-all in to separate processes. man, to me that sounds sloppy and distasteful as hell, but what if told you that it actually does seem to work...?!

also... script blocker is your friend, duderinos.

note: chrome does indeed wind up becoming sluggish for me, necessitating a restart, but fortunately at a much more infrequent rate then FF.

two extensions are also helping to keep things running smoothly-- "one tab" and "the great suspender." i believe they're also available for FF, btw.

one tab allows you to consolidate whatever open tabs you want in to... one tab. it's sort of like bookmarks, but at the tab level. very useful for keeping stuff around temporarily that you don't want to permanently add to bookmarks.

the great suspender auto-suspends open tabs that you haven't been using for a while. when that happens, their memory usage goes down to near zero. you can also whitelist any particular tabs you don't want suspended.

good shiz. :)

The last updates to Chrome made a lot of my regular sites inoperable.

Like Rand-McNally maps and directions. ..... always returns Bad Request.

So I switched to Edge. Regrettably, it shows the pages okay but cannot display my bookmarks?????

Google Chrome. I used to always use Firefox, but it kept getting viruses and pop-up ads or something. Chrome doesn't have that problem

Google Chrome. I used to always use Firefox, but it kept getting viruses and pop-up ads or something. Chrome doesn't have that problem
even back in FF i was pretty dedicated to running script blockers to prevent that stuff.

chrome has some nice ones, including a powerful version i'm using called "umatrix." it gives you pinpoint control over every little extra bit a page wants to run. an incidental bonus is that it winds up blocking ads, too. all those sites which try to detect whether you're running straight "ad-blocker" can't detect stuff like umatrix. :)

one other thing i recently realised when trying to go back and run an old browser game in 64-bit chrome is that the older shockwave stuff built in director (DCR files) was in 32-bit, and will therefore only run in 32-bit browsers. but all the other flash stuff i've seen (SWF files) still runs just fine; woohoo!

...but not for unity games.

unity seems to be a popular, common platform across android and browser, but chrome doesn't support it currently.

I like Chrome and use it most.We have Firefox on several other computers in the house. I also have IE on this machine. It's kinda superstitious but I have always/only used IE for banking. Totally Illogical ?

Last edited:
If Google Chrome is not suitable, then in which case, which browser to use?
IIRC, IE and FF both support it, altho that may still involve installing a plugin or 3rd party software.

oddly enough, after doing an update to chrome today, it was indeed able to play a random unity game. yet when i tried it out on other unity stuff, no dice.

I use mozilla firefox I like that I can customize it for myself)

Yes still with the best, safest, most flexible, as fast or faster than the rest.

Attachments

• FF86.jpg
    FF86.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
You know, I'm not even going to bother talking about how-- EVERY, SINGLE, FLUFFING time -- I've tried to expertly choose a smarter browser...

Chrome, Firefox and Vivaldi.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back