Here's an example of how great Windows 10 is...

I mean... yeah, I get that these problems are going to happen when servicing the most spread out and highly installed OS of them all, but M$ usually does respond pretty quickly to this stuff IME.

Me? I've rarely had problems of this nature, and whenever I do, I know that there's millions of other users with the same problem, with droves of other users quickly finding solutions / workarounds / etc. It basically just comes down to googling your issue, doing a couple minutes reading, and then applying a fix. Later on the issue will be fixed by auto-update, anyway.

I actually had a vastly more serious issue with Win7 than with Win10. The problem was that one of the auto-update tasks tended to get out of control and run constantly. Worse, it turned in to a huge memory hog, tying up the HDD with long, pointless disk activity. I didn't realise what was happening the first couple years, and the problem wound up screwing up my HDD. Later on I learned to spot the problem instantly and shut it down by hand in the task manager. But those users who didn't understand this kind of thing would have gone through hell.

Btw Tii, is it that every time you have a new thought, you'll be posting a new thread? Kind of reminds me of the good ol' Wrenchien days. :p

Last edited:
Really I don't agree with your window defence or comparing personalities,, may as well through in shockman for complete idiocy.

Microsoft make billions, employ thousands to ensure their OS is bug free and have a hundred as many unpaid beta testers. Now let's consider this compared to Android an OS that most likely is more targeted, has as numerous user base if not more so basically that buggy shit don't happen and when it does it's fixed within days, a week or two at most.

And yet you still managed to hit the "reply" button instead of the "new thread" button. Veddy intereshting... :p

As for the Android OS comparison, I find that pretty weak. Android is a far simpler OS, with far stronger built-in security (much of it based on said simplicity), and is far less targeted than Windows AFAIK. When's the last time you heard about a significant Android breach, for example? If you're a malware agent preying on Android, you're likely out of a job, I'm thinking.

That said, I don't disagree that M$ does a shitty job of ensuring uniform stability, and that sort of thing. It definitely does sound like they take advantage of their market position and user base to gain the benefit of free testing, like a number of developers also do.

However, that's not really what I was talking about. What I was actually talking about is the real world effects that I've both observed and read about. I.e., the inconvenience seems pretty negligible over here. Because at the end of the day, I'm interested in how my personal experience goes more than I am about the politics of these OS's.

You do know that Andriod is based upon linux and most server operations also use linux because it is that much more secure.

Also I broke my usb bluetooth adapter yesterday from having to physically remove and insert it that often to get the damn thing to connect, thank you MS....user experience fuck...

If I didn't need windows to run VP it would be gone...

You do know that Andriod is based upon linux and most server operations also use linux because it is that much more secure.
Right, it's a stripped-down Linux version that's significantly simpler compared to Windows. It's designed to run on smaller-scale devices and run simpler tasks. So yeah... apples and oranges in most ways.

Also I broke my usb bluetooth adapter yesterday from having to physically remove and insert it that often to get the damn thing to connect, thank you MS....user experience fuck...
That sucks, and I'm still not sure where the problem lies in my own USB issues. If I ran Linux on this same hardware, would that clear everything up? I don't know the answer to that, but I would tend to lean 'hardware' on these problems, and perhaps the USB format itself.

If I didn't need windows to run VP it would be gone...
So there's no way to emulate some form of Windows in Linux? IIRC such was possible with AppleOS some time back...

Win10 just did a big update over here and I've indeed had some minor problems, like some of my system settings getting reset multiple times.

The problems mentioned in the article do sound like a pain (particularly Win10 not starting at all for some people?!), but remember-- that's a general roundup of multiple annoyances for an enormous user base. Going by the buzz, most users aren't affected, and if they are, it's with pretty minor stuff (like I was), and if they don't want to wait for M$ to patch, there are indeed temporary workarounds. On balance it's annoying, but nothing too crazy to me. Almost like a metaphor for life.

Again, to be clear: I'm not really trying to defend Windows, here. To me, Windows is a shameless, inefficient ripoff of the AppleOS, similar to the majority of M$ products. Problem for me is, until more key apps convert to Linux, I'm willing to ride out the bumps for the time being, with a future goal of converting over. I would hope that most Win-users feel the same way. And I do envy Linux users, no question about it.

EDIT: You know I still have major CFS issues (hopefully to finally be treated in a few months), and that indeed has a huge impact on how much time and energy I have for extra projects, like messing with Linux, or building a more-powerful machine, or getting back in to VP design, or any number of things I'd love to be doing with my life, like converting one of my bikes to an e-bike. Point is-- if things break right for me, I expect to have more energy for getting in to Linux, not too far down the road.

Last edited:
Actually andriod is not a stripped down version of linux, it is built upon linux...and is complex, oh and I notice you don't care to address server software based upon linux..Veddy intereshting... :p

On a side note the source code for andriod is open source and availiable to any including those that might look for expliots, yet it remains more secure then....well you can fill in the dots...

My, what a comprehensive reply. Veddy intereshting, indeed.

I'll look in to the Android OS fundamentals, when I have time.

Been a lovely chat.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: GeorgeH has posted a new reply in the thread "Sounds library".
      Back