• We have added Language Translations for French, Italian and Spanish menus, you can change your language at the bottom of every page, bottom left in the footer.
  • Spanish (Español, Latin American) translations have been added for the Forums and Resource Manager (Downloads). You can change your Language Here!

What happened to all of the discussions about music?

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
Yeah, Gross & Altman's first 25yrs was the one I started on. It began with pages and pages of fairly random snippets from various and sundry. I could see that kind of thing working in certain contexts, but it just got real annoying, real fast in this case.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else of real interest there is to learn about TOS & TNG at this point. Memory-Alpha does such a superb job dishing the dirt on individual episodes, after all. It draws from all available sources and is meticulously organised, so... yeah. Maybe in the mirror universe I'll finish those books.

I love the famous Neanderthal hand stencil piece. The other stuff I've seen from that period looks literally sketchy. No idea about any deity worship going on there.

It's definitely fascinating to think about how similar their brains were in certain respects. For example-- did they suffer from the same kind of existential angst that we did, thereby craving deep answers and closure? I'm asking my own 2% Neanderthal DNA content, but I'm not hearing much reply. :/

elton

Pinball Wizard
Hi guys.

There is an interesting number of bands covering most rock genres in this Russian site http://progrockworld.ru/ .... yes it may be Russian but its a good source of obscure European bands.

Not sure if you've tries Clannad at all Nic ... Irish Celtic and many songs sung in Gaelic.

Another useful source of radio stations on the internet is: https://radio.garden/listen/nonstopoldies/4ILPZYEx .... this is work a few hours playing about with :)

elton

Pinball Wizard
I should have added that just about every genre from Italy is pure unadulterated rubbish ... but music is subjective and you may find otherwise.

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
Challenge accepted, Elton! :D

Italy, huh? Well, I liked those Sergio Leone soundtracks, to start with. I also have a special appreciation for Adriano Celentano's hilarious nonsense-word parody of American pop music, i.e. the song "Prisencolinensinainciusol."

Rolls right off the tongue, amirite? Here's two different video versions. I find both pretty amusing / interesting:

Adriano Celentano - Prisencolinensinainciusol - YouTube

Adriano Celentano & R. Carra - Prisencolinensinainciusol (Svveepa's progressive bump) - YouTube

Haven't really thought in terms of genres, but let me see what I can come up with. Also, thanks for the recommends. I know Clannad, but will check out that other stuff...

Sleepy's Sister

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Neanderthals and Modern Humans share a gene that is responsible for complex language skills. So it is possible that the communication among Neanderthals was far more advanced than previously thought. This FOXP2 gene may have been inherited from a common ancestor.
Some of the genes that modern humans inherited from our Neanderthal ancestors are beneficial to us. For example, our immune systems were strengthened by the incursion of Neanderthal DNA, but some of the DNA that we inherited from our Neanderthal ancestors have been detrimental. The gene that we acquired for blood clotting was important during hunter/gatherer times, when our ancestors were often seriously hurt during the hunt, and the ability for blood to coagulate quickly meant the difference between life and death. This quickly coagulating blood creates problems for modern man whose lifespan is much greater than Neanderthals, causing dangerous blood clots in later life.
Some scientists believe that the genes responsible for depression and other neurological problems also come from our Neanderthal relatives. They postulate that these genes are triggered by disruptions in our circadian rhythms due to the artificial manipulation of our environment. Neanderthals did not experience disruptions of their natural sleep cycles (unless, of course a Cave Bear stumbled into their camp at night.) So, the depression gene response may not have been triggered in Neanderthals.
I would love to see the Lascaux cave paintings, but unfortunately it was closed to the public and now you can only visit a replica of the site. When I see pictures of cave paintings, I always wonder about the artists. Who were they? Were they painting pictures of the animals that they hoped to kill during their hunt, as supplication to their gods? Were they recording the success of their hunts? What about the hand stencil painting from the El Castillo Cave in Spain that you referenced, Nic? Was it a way to show solidarity among the tribe or a vow to fight together like a blood oath? Maybe it was simply Neanderthal mothers recording their children’s hands for posterity, like the turkey drawings kindergarten children make for their parents at Thanksgiving.neander hands.jpg

Last edited:

LeeVanCleef

RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?
Site Supporters
The first time I saw that "Prisencolinensinainciusol" video, it blew my mind! It was like watching an Italian nerd Elvis... in corduroys, no less! That dude rocks and rolls! But I absolutely hate the harmonica chick. Put your finger down! That's no way to play the harp.
I stumbled across a weird sub-subgenre of music: Italian Library Music. It's music that was recorded for ad agencies and broadcast stations. We had a huge book of it at the station I worked at. Say you want 30 seconds of mellow modern jazz for a commercial. Or something faster like fast rock music. Since you pay for it all at once, you don't have to pay rights to use it each time in a commercial. Well, there was this guy named Lesiman who did Italian Library Music in the '70s, and, brother, he swings! I've listened to far too much American library music and it's the worst kind of pablum. But Lesiman really grooves!

Man, doesn't that sound like just the coolest Starsky & Hutch episode ever? I, too, have a great fondness for Morricone. Once Upon a Time In the West is one of my all-time favorite movies, and Morricone's music for it is one of my all-time favorite soundtracks! I've got a 2-disc Best of Morricone that's some fine listening! I'm going to have to come back to discuss the Neanderthals. My completely and utterly disrupted sleep cycle says it might let me doze off now.

Sleepy's Sister

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
I could totally picture Starsky & Hutch chasing bad guys through the streets of Bay City in their Gran Torino with that soundtrack! Very cool!

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
Oh yeah, Morricone. Morricone.

Hope he dasn't mind that I merged him with Leone just there. Remarkably, based on his WP entry, he's still going strong at 90yrs old and still looks pretty healthy & handsome to me. Seems he won the soundtrack Oscar for "Hateful Eight" just a couple years ago.

Btw, just kind of stopping by for a moment while listening to the Cyclones Stop Your Sobbing from disc three. I hadn't realised it wasn't original to Chrissie Hynde, but was seemingly a Ray Davies creation from 15 years earlier (1964). Interesting that it got covered by the Singaporeans during the interval.

Anyway, fun thread. Also not feeling my best lately, but I hope to participerate more, soon.

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
Hey Bill if you're still reading, I'd posted about The Shaggs on my FB wall around a year ago, but I don't think you were around then.

To me they're sort of fascinating, cringe-worthy, hilarious & strangely enjoyable, all at the same time. I reckon there's a good chance you're already familiar with them, but if not-- the basic idea is that (stealing a page from Laszlo Polgar's playbook, the guy who fathered the greatest chess-playing sisters of all time), this guy decided ahead of time that he wanted his three girls to become rock stars & maybe hitch his wagon to them, a bit like Murry Wilson, I guess.

For whatever reasons, he decided to just buy the equipment and then leave the girls to figure out everything on their own...

My Pal Foot Foot - The Shaggs - YouTube

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    I was afraid to do this but I believe if you unapprove files, they just are like a soft delete, still there but not visible..
  • @ Ike Savage:
    you're talking about FTP on uploads.PN still?
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No, the archived category in resources..
    Ike Savage said:
    I could see removing some resources and/or resource folders, if that helps. that VP PhysMod stuff is probably not useful any more, etc
    Were you talking about the ftp subdomain? :wave-nerd:
  • @ Ike Savage:
    yessir
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    OOOppppsss..
  • @ Ike Savage:
    so you're were talking about the archived originals? on the positive side, that stuff probably doesn't take up much
  • @ Ike Savage:
    room
  • @ Ike Savage:
    where is the unapprove option, anyway? is that a super mod thing or something from the admin panel?
  • @ Ike Savage:
    oh wait, I see it
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    true, but they could also be invisible to users and perhaps allow the category to be removed
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Don't know, do know that if you delete a category all files would also be removed so that's bad,
  • @ Ike Savage:
    seems like we discussed it in some length at one point and came up with the current arrangement, but I don't have a strong opinion on that stuff. the one thing I do like is that I can clear out weaker tables from the main section without deleting them
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Sounds fine to me Ike, can't disagree with ya!
  • @ Ike Savage:
    is it that you want to declutter more of the resources section?
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No it's fine
  • @ Ike Savage:
    also, just to be clear-- the issue with "unapprove" is that you don't know if the table actually gets deleted from the server, right? AFAIK I have no way of seeing where the tables actually lie on the server, so it's something I can't test effectively
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    They wouldn't get deleted from the server, I don't think.
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Can we get back to the subdomain folders/files, the uploads.pinballnirvana.com folder is where uploads would need to be, just wondering what might need to be deleted..
  • @ Ike Savage:
    do you mind a phone call? probably easier to discuss, save some wear and tear on my hands, too
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No problems Ike, can't talk now but will try and set this up.
  • @ Ike Savage:
    okay, well let me know if you need space cleared up across the torrent area, because I have some ideas
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Yeah, noticed a .zip file contains many versions etc..
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Uploading a 1.34 GB Pink Floyd The Wall zip file via ftp to test...
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    The file is actually on the server in FP originals but isn't public.
  • @ Anthias:
    Um, so, Hi!. What did I miss? (he says as though he ducked to the toilet while the adds were on...)
    @ Anthias: Um, so, Hi!. What did I miss? (he says as though he ducked to the toilet while the adds were on...)