Volley (Gottlieb 1976) by DavidSSS
IPDB No. 2743
IPDB HIGHLIGHTS:​
Production:
2,900 units (confirmed)​
Theme:
Sports - Tennis​
Notable Features:
Flippers (2), Pop bumpers (3), 5-bank drop targets (3). No slingshots. Maximum displayed point score is 199,990 points.​
Design by:
Art by:
Notes:
Tim Arnold contacted us with the following information for 'Volley', 1977 'Big Hit', and 1977 'Jacks Open':

I have noticed a mystery on these three games I can solve for you. I have had many examples of these machines over the years. Playfields with PAINT over [flipper] swipe area and top arch are made of CHIPBOARD! I first saw this at Cleveland Coin back in the day when we were thinking of buying the game off the floor. Our salesman told us to take one in the box as the painted over area was "Pressed wood". I later talked to Cliff Strain [in Sales] at an annual trade show. He told me they were trying new materials because of a spike in the price of plywood. I have had two of these three machines since then, and the paint seems to stick to the wood just fine, but the surface turns rough and bumpley (sic) under the paint.
RULES:​
The rules of this table are a bit quirky and the rule sheet on the real machine does not really explain them in detail, so here goes--

The basic aim of the game is to knock down all of the targets. Well, I’ll be . . .

At the beginning of the fi rst ball the lower lights above the toplanes are lit. If the ball goes through a toplane it will light the equivalent bumper for 100 (or 1,000 for the yellow bumper) and the equivalent targets for 5,000. Once lit the targets and bumpers stay lit for the rest of the game. However, the targets only reset when you get all 3 banks of targets down - they do not reset at the end of each ball.

The second and fourth targets on the Blue (left) and Green (right) target banks light the upper and lower lanes for 5,000. The middle target in the yellow bank lights the middle top lane for 5,000. Once lit these do not go out until the game is over.

If you knock down all 3 banks of targets then the Special in the outer top lanes lights (one lane at a time). The targets only reset once you have knocked down all 3 banks of targets. Knocking down all 3 banks is also the way that the Special light alternates. The Special stays lit until you get it and then it goes out, but you can light it again by getting all the targets down again.

One last note - watch out for the slings at the bottom - they are not powered and, as such, it is often a surprise how the ball comes off the bottom slings.
FLYER & BACKGLASS:
130.jpg
Reactions: Isaac Sauvage
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back