About commercial use of fp and vp games.

shiva

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Trigon
We are starting to get cabinet users coming here, and hopefully more from the newer commercial cabinets like AtGames and Arcade1Up, but there are some things that some of us as developers of these games are very much against. That is putting our tables in a commercial package or collection and then selling that product without our knowledge or permission. These people are profiting off of our work (it can take hundreds if not thousands of hours for some of them) that we give out for free, and that, no matter how you look at it, is wrong. It's not their work, it's people like Gimli, Polycade, Slam and the thousands that did the work, and no one has the right to profit off of other people's work, especially like that.
We are not companies, we are not corporations, we do this for free. Nobody has the right to sell my games, because I never gave them permission to do so. The games I have done are free to everyone, and they should always be free.
In fact, my games are part of the Creative Commons License, which has this:
Code:
' Terms Of Use
' THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE").
' THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW.
' ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
'
' Under the following conditions:
'
'    Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
'    Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
'    Derivative Works — You may alter, transform, or build upon this work, with the understanding that any changes may be placed in the next official update to the FPX Template or to this table
'
' With the understanding that:
'
'    Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

Several cabinet makers respect our wishes, and I personally do not have problems if the games are released as a bundle "freeware" by private individuals with no cost (i.e. through free frontends or torrent) other than the fact that the tables are usually the oldest version,and not updated. This generally means that people who have those type of bundles make their way here and end up being part of the community, and even end up making their own games. I don't mind giving support either, in fact, on my games, I'm the only one that actually can, especially with script issues.

Some cabinet makers though do not respect our wishes, and feel they have the right to sell our games with their product even if we express it legally in our script. In case you are wondering, every time someone does that, it's called a felony.

We as a community just ask that those who are looking for a cabinet, and see either vpx or future pinball tables included, not to buy it, and find someone else. Cabinets can cost a lot of money, but I personally won't deal with people that in all intents of purpose steal my games, or anyone else's games from here. I don't give people like that my time, let alone thousands of dollars. We are a family (dysfunctional) here, but we view this as one of the worse forms of disrespect possible to all the work we have put in the last 20 years that we share with everyone because we love the game.

We believe our pinball games should be free. We do go after people who sell our games because we believe our pinball games should be free. All we really ask is your understanding of our position.

Last edited:
I think I will use your write up on my next table.

Highly recommend it, it's best you register your table at Creative commons. You can only claim your own work, and as you mod others and they do arcade translations that may use resources from other companies (intellectual property rights) you should check and see if you can. My tables are considered Fan art, because I completely redrew everything, but I still include copyright notices and thank you's as well just as a matter of respect to their work and talent.

Thanks for this @shiva. I barely know a thing about the Creative Commons angle. Good stuff.

But also, yeah-- how infuriating (yet almost inevitable?) that shameless profiteers are ripping off your personal IP and so forth. I'm sure the virtual pin community could use some dedicated hobbyists who like to bust those kinds of assholes.

I think @JonPurpleHaze had mentioned "Kitboga" before. We could use more like him or the r/scambait crowd, helping out the cause.

Actually some of the funniest stories I've ever read come from "419 Eater", which operates in a similar spirit-- going after the "Nigerian Prince" scammers and those pulling related stuff.

Yeah, no matter where you go nowdays, always a bunch of parasites hanging around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back